Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

3rd time lucky for Sodyer

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Sodje's seems to have made a difference to the previously casual centre defence.

Not only has he shown a much needed willingness to attack the ball in the air when defending but, at the other end,
we've suddenly got an ariel threat when we've won a corner.

In each of his 2 games, he's struck the bar with headers direct from a corner kick.
Let's pray it's 3rd time lucky for him when we play the Bristol Bashers on Tuesday.

He's definitely brought a bit more 'get up & go' and spirit to the side. Just what we needed!

Comments

• Options
    making fortune play better,cos hes going for the headers and fortune is picking up the loose balls etc.
  • Options
    Good point, Nolly.

Fortune hates to attack the ball in the air, but can sweep up 2nd balls, etc.
    So Sodje can be the decisive decision maker and Fortune can do the covering & washing up stuff.

The other time Fortune played really well was against Palace - and Paddy did the big aeriel stuff while Fortune picked up the pieces. Costa & Fortune was a similar type pairing.

Fortune & Magic together was just 2 big fannies,
    I wonder why it took Pards so long to stumble on the right combination?
  • Options
    I think its because he's spent good money on Bougherra Oggy, Plus if the Fortune/Bougherra partnership clicked it would be a long term thing because a settled back 4 is a successful one. Whereas Sodje is only on Loan.
  • Options
    Sure, RedArmy, Boogie cost a packet but if he's not fitting in the team then Pards has proved he'll take out a weak link.

Sodje might only be a loan, but the player's making all the right noises about feeling part of the club.
    It's a season loan, so unless there's a January recall, Sods should be around to the end.

My opinion: I like Sods' have-a-go attitude and think he brings something to the team that was lacking before.
    And, as Nolly has pointed out, Fortune is improving alongside him.
  • Options
    I didn't say i disagreed with you! I totally agree I was just looking into Pardews reasons. Its the only thing I can think of because we could all see uit wasn't working after 2/3 games and he stuck with it for a lot more than that.
  • Options
    Fortune despite now being almost 40 or whatever still plays like an inexperienced youngster. Sodje is giving him far more confidence being the more commanding and dominant.
  • Options
    Thing is with Fortune is he always plays so much better when his partner at the back is someone willing to take control. When he plays with the likes of magic it's like the bloody chuckle brothers "to me , to you , to me , to you"
  • Options
    Fortune showed much more commitment than against QPR when he seemed to back off everything even when better than 50-50 in his favour.

Maybe a Sodje Boogie combination would be better? Boogie has more presence on the ball than Fortune.
  • Options
    how much spring has this fella got , i don't think he's that tall but he rises above most
    let's hope reading improve a bit and don't come knocking on our door in january to nick him back
  • Options
    From what we've seen so far, he's worth having permanently - at least he's more effective than the other CB's we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i love watching him head the ball.

He seems to have a flip top head and still be in the process of heading it when the ball has travelled about 30 metres !!