Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

away support

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
with 9 away games played including cup about 15,000 fans have followed charlton this season,the away support at the valley has not matched this.We must be one of the best away supported teams in the championship.After 9 away games last season i bet we had not taken 15,000 supporters to games. Average of 1,600 i think its good

Comments

• Options
    not bad i eat my hat from another thread i posted on

As i prepare to get slatted LOL
  • Options
    People can dig our away support as much as they like. But we took over 2,000 to Coventry and nearly 3,000 to Southampton.

Its not as bad as people make out. The midweek ones at Bristol and Cardiff etc will be poor shows as people pick and choose, but its decent, and lets not disguise it for anything else.
  • Options
    well said mate.
  • Options
    Agreed, living in a broom cupboard in Chicago, I didn't want to comment on some people slagging our support off but from what I can it has been superb this season, in fact since Pards took over. Good crowds at home, generally supportive and noisy, QPR aside when according to Pards they deserved a good booing and the numbers away have been phenomenal. I mean how did we sell 2,200 tickets for Saturday.

The rapport between fans and players was there for all of those at St Marys to see as well.
  • Options
    great turn out on saturday but only the same as what palace brought down there and soton will bring 3k to us so let's not go over the top
    let's see if we can bring decent turnouts for the orrible midweekers to come and the live tv ones

i'd like to see a like for like we brought 3k to soton they'll bring ??k to us
    we brought 1k to wolves they'll bring ??k to us
    plymouth brought 2k to us we bring ??? to them etc
  • Options
    I do find it a bit funny when people wet themselves over a couple of decent turnouts.

What we would give to take 30% of that support tomorrow night.

We wont take more than 800 anywhere until after Christmas FACT.
  • Options
    i think there are a lot of charlton fans who live in the midlands and on the south coast.
  • Options
    A lot of teams will sell out their allocation against us we are seen as a big club inn this division and hence are an attractive trip. Especially as we are seen as hospitable and friendly by most.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I do find it a bit funny when people wet themselves over a couple of decent turnouts.

What we would give to take 30% of that support tomorrow night.

We wont take more than 800 anywhere until after Christmas FACT.

How we do after Christmas depends on how well we are doing in the league. Well placed and going for it and you'll see decent numbers of away fans, if (as in the last couple of premiership seasons) we are perceived to be playing negative football, one up front and strangling matches to get a point then you could be right.

I wouldn't read too much into attendances at mid-week away matches, leaving work getting to say Bristol and back makes for a long old day. Even it were a guaranteed Charlton win I wonder how many will be put off by the time factor and hassle.
  • Options
    London has about 10,000,000 inhabitants, many of whom originally come from elsewhere. Every single club in our division should be able to muster 1000 to 1500 from inside the M25, let alone travelling support.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]London has about 10,000,000 inhabitants, many of whom originally come from elsewhere. Every single club in our division should be able to muster 1000 to 1500 from inside the M25, let alone travelling support.[/quote]

"nail" and " head" Mr Algarve

if we were at home to Bristol City tomorrow night they would have at least 2000 London exiles who would come - especially as at £20 we are one of the cheapest prices for one of the best grounds in the Division plus as noted previously we are the big glamour boys in this division!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    i'd like to see a like for like we brought 3k to soton they'll bring ??k to us
    we brought 1k to wolves they'll bring ??k to us
    plymouth brought 2k to us we bring ??? to them etc

Really? Why the hell does it matter? Ideally we'd have a bigger away following to the extent that it creates a better atmosphere at away games and gives the team a boost..........but I really couldn't give a toss whether Wolves bring 500 or 2000 more fans to The Valley than we took to their place - who cares?

Thew only comparison worth looking at is handily presented in the form of the League table.
  • Options
    PITL - yup yup
  • Options
    What Algarve said.
  • Options
    It's funny how people have bemoaned our away support as "sh*t" in the past but now it is being bemoaned as not as good as Wolves, etc. Massive difference - but still a moan nonetheless!

(PS. I agree with Algarve and PITL by the way.)
  • Options
    Numbers wise was a good turnout by us on Saturday as for team backing it was pretty sh*t in my opinion. Very few small pockets of support prepared to sing or swear or whatever it is you do. I thought Saints support was much better than ours.
  • Options
    Agreed Ketman although not as bad as Coventry.

Why cant every away match be like Palace :)
  • Options
    Colchester was also crap, especially considering it was terracing
  • Options
    So, just so that I can get this straight in my own mind, the beef now is that the numbers away are good but that the vocal support is cack - is that right?

Next thing people will be moaning about is that the numbers and noise levels are good - but there is too much swearing/aggression/oppo baiting in the songs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite] the numbers and noise levels are good - but there is too much swearing/aggression/oppo baiting in the songs.
    There is...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    Next thing people will be moaning about is that the numbers and noise levels are good - but there is too much swearing/aggression/oppo baiting in the songs.

Yeah thats what the problem was with the palace game apparently .Pathetic
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Felt very uncomfortbale standing up trying to sing first half when everyone around us probably at least ten rows both up & down not prepared to even join in. Moved to the back next to the saints support behind the goal second half, did not realise we we congregating with Charlton's 'Stone Island firm' until they all re-appeared 5 minutes into the second half, at least we were allowed to stand & sing even if half of them were too pissed to get anything coherent out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]even if half of them were too pissed to get anything coherent out.

Just like H Block in the North Upper then?;-)
  • Options
    agree with Kets there it was quite difficult to get people around us singin on Saturday.Until last minute that is.
  • Options
    Yeah, support was awful on Saturday imo.

Sit down, if you're valley gold was an amusing song though.
  • Options
    Only because you started it! ;-)

For what it's wprth the noise we made was fine after we scored but I'm with Paul in that I felt very uncomfortable in standing trying to get some noise going with only those that I knew that were sitting, yes sitting near me in the first half. Second half much better but not as good as Coventry. I really don't know why people don't feel the need to make a noise as surely that is one of the single biggest reasons to go away. It can't be for the view or to see our free flowing atacking away from home football for fucks sake.

But that's just my neanderthal opinion