Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant Basey

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Good enough to keep Sir Chris out of the team?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, at the moment. Remember he will only get better too.

I can't remember when it was the fans forum down Maidstone but Pards said then he was about nine months away from the first team.

Don't think it was that long ago as we were still in with a shout of staying up
  • Options
    Can't comment on saturday as I didn't see it but on his QPR form I would say not yet.

His weakness appears to be a lack of pace. The rest of his game looks very promising.

The boy has height and physical presence in his favour. He may eventually do better as a centre back where lack of pace isn't such a problem.

I tell you what if Basey had the pace of Nathan Ashton, who played for Fulham on Saturday, then he would be a top player. The rest of his game looks very assured.
  • Options
    given that i've only seen him play against qpr when the whole team was out of sync and southampton where we only had 10 men and their best player was running up and down the right wing then i have to admit that so far i've been quietly impressed with his start...
  • Options
    he looked pretty good on Saturday, I would leave him in for a few games, and I agree he looks quite big for a left back, he looks more like a centre half.
  • Options
    not as big as Herman
  • Options
    if his only weakness is pace then he has to be given his run, what pace chrissy ever had is sadly pretty much gone, he can't be slower than powelly!
  • Options
    I'd definitely start him over Chrissy, we should be looking to this season as a chance to chuck in the kids who would never have got a chance had we not been relegated, one of the plus points of going down has been seeing youngsters around again. Wheres Thatcher tho, still crocked?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]if his only weakness is pace then he has to be given his run, what pace chrissy ever had is sadly pretty much gone, he can't be slower than powelly!

Chrissy has 20 years experience which stops him being exposed too often though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BrightonAddick[/cite]I'd definitely start him over Chrissy, we should be looking to this season as a chance to chuck in the kids who would never have got a chance had we not been relegated, one of the plus points of going down has been seeing youngsters around again. Wheres Thatcher tho, still crocked?

Thatch is recovering from a knee op I believe
  • Options
    believe me Len i'm a massive fan of chrissy as a player and also as a person, i just think at times he gets massively caught out for pace and muscle and teams are targetting him for just that

can't knock his experience and contribution though, after seeing him pre-season i thought he wouldn't hack it

but if basey continues to do a good job, leave him there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]believe me Len i'm a massive fan of chrissy as a player and also as a person, i just think at times he gets massively caught out for pace and muscle and teams are targetting him for just that

can't knock his experience and contribution though, after seeing him pre-season i thought he wouldn't hack it

but if basey continues to do a good job, leave him there

I agree there is no way Chrissy can play all the games so any experience Grant can get has to be good and I do think the lad has promise.

The question at the top of the thread is whether he is good enough to keep Sir Chris out of the team to which my answer is not yet. I would rotate them according to Sir Chris' fitness.

I certainly would pick Basey above Thatcher on this season's form although to be fair Thatcher may have been carrying his injury before he stopped playing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    I tell you what if Basey had the pace of Nathan Ashton, who played for Fulham on Saturday, then he would be a top player. The rest of his game looks very assured.

Len, I bow to your wisdom on these things. That being the case, why the fcuk did we let Ashton go then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]not as big as Herman

No but Hermann puts a clause in his contract saying he'll jump ship if relegation arrives. Who wants w******s like that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Len, I bow to your wisdom on these things. That being the case, why the fcuk did we let Ashton go then?

Cause Basey is the more rounded footballer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]not as big as Herman

No but Hermann puts a clause in his contract saying he'll jump ship if relegation arrives. Who wants w******s like that?
    somebody who has jumped ship 5 times?!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]

Ashton is very quick but he is quite small and lacks positional sense. He went out on loan to The Spanners last season and didn't get a sniff.

Pards, given all that, probably decided that Basey was the stronger prospect as, other than pace, he was better and bigger.

Managers and coaches look for different things in players though and one Les Reed is now at Fulham don't forget. As a top coach (note I said coach not manager) he may well think that he can teach and develop the aspects missing in Ashton's game given that he has the undoubted attribute of pace.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
  • Options
    Regarding earlier comments re Thatcher. Pardew said that he had been carrying the injury since W Ham (H) last season.
    This explains to me why I thought he was excellent when he first joined us but went downhill at the end of the season and also this season.
  • Options
    By the way Grant Basey sounds like he should be in The League of Gentleman. :-)
  • Options
    Sounded like he made a few mistakes tonight - be interested in views from anyone actually there. Still, he got away with them!
  • Options
    we let Shittu go,is he any good?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he was our weakest player tonight but hes still learning. he seems to dive in to early and he gets turned very easy. he was at fault with semedos sending off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]he was our weakest player tonight but hes still learning. he seems to dive in to early and he gets turned very easy. he was at fault with semedos sending off.

I thought Basy did okay tonight. Third game in and he's learning all the time. I'd keep him in over a fit Powell and Thatcher. Saying that after about ten games he'd probably need a breather. Agree he was a contributory factor to Samedo's sending off. As for the weakest player tonight, Lloyd Sam I'm afraid. Very little end product. Varney wasn't great but he's got the pace that Sam lacks and he runs at players and is much more direct.
  • Options
    I thought Basey was excellent tonight. First time I've seen him and I was impressed.
  • Options
    Dont forget we can get Yougo back in January as he is doing excellent for Scunthrope. Its good to have choices, But Basey has done well with so much pressure on him.
  • Options
    Christ, I forgot about Youga!!! I thought he was a white bloke until I saw him play for Scunny on TV!!!
  • Options
    any more thoughts on Basey's performance last night?
  • Options
    It is worth noting that before the season started the pecking order for left back was probably:-
    Thacher
    Gibbs
    Youga
    Ashton
    Powell (coach)
    Basey
    Hence Youga loaned out and Ashton released. Basey was effectively sixth choice, and tho' I didn't see the match, wasn't he up against Lloyd Dyer - Southampton's highly rated winger, he must have done OK. Incidentally, I was very impressed with Jack Clark, a 16yo two footed left back - lots of composure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]he was our weakest player tonight but hes still learning. he seems to dive in to early and he gets turned very easy. he was at fault with semedos sending off.

I thought Basy did okay tonight. Third game in and he's learning all the time. I'd keep him in over a fit Powell and Thatcher. Saying that after about ten games he'd probably need a breather. Agree he was a contributory factor to Samedo's sending off. As for the weakest player tonight, Lloyd Sam I'm afraid. Very little end product. Varney wasn't great but he's got the pace that Sam lacks and he runs at players and is much more direct.

I find it hard to believe that Varney has more pace than Lloyd Sam
  • Options
    Varney was a bit inconsistant at Bristol the other night. After coming on, he started brightly with a couple of good runs cutting inside but then began to lose his way a bit - you could see his very much a confidence player.

At Saints, he created the goal going outside 2 players and his pace then was superb.

I thought Basey played his part at City. a few mistakes but solid enough.
    Blistering drive from a free kick that just cleared the bar!