Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Previous visits to Ashton Gate

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
I'm sure the cup one is the main one that everyone remembers, a massive 6,000 turnout that was blighted by the trouble that followed the game.

Any other visits people remember there ? I'm sure we had a cent win down there around the same time, possibly Gorman and Leroy Rosenior getting the goals.

Never a particularly nice place to go.

Comments

• Options
    lots of visits to ashton gate. the cup game obviously stands out the police were good that day.
    other games include a 2-1 defeat which djakanovski and andy cole scored for them with leaburn replying. also another 2-1 defeat on a tuesday night in which garry nelson broke his which may have finished his career. back to the cup game minto scored near the end and the scenes were reminisant to saturdays celebrations.
  • Options
    The one Gorman scored in, it was Rosenior who set him up and Pardew got sent off for spitting cant remember who scored the other goal.
  • Options
    just found out it was Pards.

sent off for spitting ??? he doesn't look a spitter to me
  • Options
    did gorman climb up on the away fence celebrating his goal
  • Options
    Gorman did do that, think he got booked for it as well.
  • Options
    wasnt that gormans second yellow?
  • Options
    I went to the cup game on a coach that Tavern organised.

Got absolutely ruined before the game and vaguely remember walking out of the ground when it was kicking off and being confused as everyone was wearing red & white.
  • Options
    I was at the last visit there, we lost 2-1 midweek.

The only thing I remember about the day was a lorry spill on the M25 meant we had to drive through London which meant we arrived late, crap game, probably 150 Charlton there.

Been there two other times standing on the big terrace one of which was the cup game.
  • Options
    what time did we start drinkin that day,Dave about 7 in the mornin me thinks.In the Royal Tavern.Just remember Tim the hat avin it in someone's front garden.
  • Options
    I remember a game at Ashton Gate in the early 90s. I think we lost 2-1 to a last minute goal. This was soon after Bristol City had been awarded a free kick for some bizarre wrong doing, like our keeper picking up the ball from a back pass after we had kicked it out to allow one of their players to be treated. Bristol City decided to pass the free kick gently to our keeper, even though they had an excellent goal scoring chance. The home crowd went ballistic & gave them dogs abuse. Typically, they did score with just about the last kick of the game...... Or did I dream that this actually happened??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last visit for me was the cup game, the three skip loads of bricks that the OB didnt move before the game was the biggest problem, was my eldest boys first ever away game too. Just remember the missiles raining down on us and the fighting in the main road...was quite funny watching it all going off in hindsight....bit of an OB Farce. Previous to that was a game in the dim and distant past......way, way back think it was 2-2.....was a bit sozzled I think
  • Options
    I remember a one nil in the league sometime ago, Robert Lee scored, anyone know the date?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]I remember a one nil in the league sometime ago, Robert Lee scored, anyone know the date?
    didnt Robert Lee used to be a turnstile operator at The Valley?
  • Options
    That cup game was immense, standing there at the end watching lods of Bristol fans coming down the steps from the stand on the left side giving us loads of abuse, spitting and chucking coins at us as the ob kept us back.

Only for them to arm themselves with the contents of those skips and wait for us to come out. Missed most of it as we were in the centre of the terrace behind the goal so it had moved on by the time we got out. To this day I have no idea why they were so up for it against us.

The long walk back to the coach was funny though as we had to keep an eye on Dad who, as I remember, seemed to want to fight the world that day.
  • Options
    Tee hee Bruv, he was funny that day. I had a real feeling we were going to have to roll up our sleeves from some of his comments.
    Luckily, no one understood his accent eh ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aah happy days :-). How many times did his wayward comments get us in trouble, home and away? Most common one being "Aah shut up you"!!!!

I can't remember had he downed a few before hand at Bristol, as I don't remember us getting in a pub, but I'm getting old and the memory is fading?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]I remember a game at Ashton Gate in the early 90s. I think we lost 2-1 to a last minute goal. This was soon after Bristol City had been awarded a free kick for some bizarre wrong doing, like our keeper picking up the ball from a back pass after we had kicked it out to allow one of their players to be treated. Bristol City decided to pass the free kick gently to our keeper, even though they had an excellent goal scoring chance. The home crowd went ballistic & gave them dogs abuse. Typically, they did score with just about the last kick of the game...... Or did I dream that this actually happened??[/quote]

I think Andy Cole got the winner for them, on loan from Arsenal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite]Aah happy days :-). How many times did his wayward comments get us in trouble, home and away? Most common one being "Aah shut up you"!!!!

I can't remember had he downed a few before hand at Bristol, as I don't remember us getting in a pub, but I'm getting old and the memory is fading?

Nope, not a drop! Reckon he raided Mum's stash before we got on the bus ;-)