Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4 -5 -1 if its not broke why fix it ?

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
interesting to see if pards sticks with 4 -5 -1 at home on sat. i think he should keep it as it is.

Comments

• Options
    So do I. 4-5-1 4-5-1 4-5-1
  • Options
    dammn it we really did love curbishley tactics
  • Options
    I'd prefer it if he played a 4-3-3 with wingers :-P
  • Options
    I am not sure we can afford to wait for Big Chris to pop up in the last minute every week.

I also we had a bad spell because teams sussed us and closed down our creative players. Best not to become predictable.
  • Options
    makes you laugh.

We don't help ourselves, falling back at home because we can't cope with our expectations, so when we finally get a bit more realistic about what to expect, they go nd win 2 on the trot and bring the expectations right back up again !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]makes you laugh.

We don't help ourselves, falling back at home because we can't cope with our expectations, so when we finally get a bit more realistic about what to expect, they go nd win 2 on the trot and bring the expectations right back up again !!

TBH I never thought we looked great in the first ten games. We were picking up results without looking like we had got a grip on what this division requires and I think the bad run has galvanised the players, now we are seeing the grit required. Whether it is enough for the top two I do not know but we will certainly finish in the top four.
  • Options
    Been banging the 4-5-1 drum for a while so I am glad its paid off.

Works so well for us, Reid can do what he does best, Iwelumo is a great target man, and we look a lot more solid with extra man.

My big fear is that Pards will revert to 4-4-2 on Saturday just because we are at home. Hamster mates always used to say how Pards changed things for no apparent reason even when they were winning.

They must stick with this system and play to our strengths.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Been banging the 4-5-1 drum for a while so I am glad its paid off.

Works so well for us, Reid can do what he does best, Iwelumo is a great target man, and we look a lot more solid with extra man.

My big fear is that Pards will revert to 4-4-2 on Saturday just because we are at home. Hamster mates always used to say how Pards changed things for no apparent reason even when they were winning.

They must stick with this system and play to our strengths.

Agreed.
  • Options
    The formation yesterday was excellent and, I think makes best use of our wide players. We created so many chances yesterday and looked very difficult to penetrate. If Sam had been more in the game, I wonder if Pards would have changed things at half time. That said, Varney was playing both alongside Big Chris and wide on the right taking channel balls and cutting inside. My main worry is that Big Chris is not a natural loan striker but he battled manfully for the team and frankly you can't leave him out. The great thing about 4-5-1 with wingers is that it becomes 4-3-3 when you are attacking high up the pitch. With Reidy pulling the strings, it gives him more passing options and helps to share the work load better meaning he keeps his energy levels for longer in a game.

I suppose to some extent Pards has to look at how the opposition line up but starting with 4-5-1 gives us a great platform in any game.
  • Options
    Is 4-5-1 really the answer?

We aren't scoring enough goals, and playing one less forward at the expense of a stronger midfield might be the answer if we had a regular goal scorer like Darren Bent who could be relied on to convert a reasonably high number of chances. Playing Iwelumo upfront on his own is riskier, he doesn't have the same conversion rate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Is 4-5-1 really the answer?

We aren't scoring enough goals, and playing one less forward at the expense of a stronger midfield might be the answer if we had a regular goal scorer like Darren Bent who could be relied on to convert a reasonably high number of chances. Playing Iwelumo upfront on his own is riskier, he doesn't have the same conversion rate.
    The midfield need to step up to the plate and score a few as well - and they should be helping the one up front whoever it is.

With our current personnel there is no doubt in my mind that 4-5-1/4-3-3 is our best option.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    With our current personnel there is no doubt in my mind that 4-5-1/4-3-3 is our best option.

Tend to agree, though there is a big reliance on at least one of Sam, ZZ or Thomas shining offensively to make it work.
  • Options
    Not sure the formation is that important as with the players we have we are capable of beating any side if they play to their ability. 4-4-2 has worked for us previously but the strikers weren't takign the chances created and the defence was making silly errors. Neither are to do with formation.

I know that it is sacrelige to say this ths week but I'm not sure if Big Chris is best suited to 4-5-1 UNLESS the attacking midfields get closer to him making runs from wide or from the middle. Toddy would have been a better player at holding the ball up and McLeod is faster but isn't scoring goals.

4-5-1 does mean that Reid can play in the middle where he does his best work but we are not left short defensively.

What worries me is that if we line up with 4-5-1 and haven't scored three goals in the first 15 minutes then the moaners will be complaining about negative tactics at home
  • Options
    If your 4-5-1 is inter-changeable with 4-3-3 then you have better offensive options than 4-4-2 in my opinion. The trick is players like Thomas finally fulfilling his potential by some end product.

Against Bristol you could not fault Thomas' effort or the level of his skill. Time and again though he failed to deliver either a telling ball or a shot. I remember the West Ham game last season and the goal he scored. We need him in that kind of mode.

ZZ tries to get himself into scoring opportunities but it just ain't coming off for him at the moment.

Sam just had a less than brilliant half day at the office on Tuesday but he is capable of scoring.

If I was Pards I would be encouraging all the players, if they see a sniff of a chance, to shoot on site. Too often we over-elaborate. How many goals have we scored this season from outside the box? I can't think of too many.

In the end though, its about players performing and 4-5-1 does give a platform for players to perform in my opinion.
  • Options
    A city fan on Coverend End Choir (old NA) is claiming that Sam got stick for continuing to warm up during the minutes applause. Is that true and if so I wonder if it got to him a little hence the under par performance.