Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

...of mice and men

so there i was, plans all laid out, 5.10pm saturday night i strolls down the to pub on the corner where i always watch our away ppv games and notices what looks like highlights of the chelsea game from earlier...yes sir, says the landlord as i look round wondering why the pub was empty, what can i get you...i almost reflex-responded my order but instinctively knew something wasn't quite right...aren't you showing the game i asks...what game he says...newcastle and charlton i informs him...dunno he says, we've got that arabic tv now, not sure what they show, his words trailing off as i do a quick about turn and walk straight out the door heading for somewhere else to watch it...and that's how i end up in o'neils, tvs everywhere showing the game, plenty of people and a spot at the bar clearly waiting for me...noise of the tv's competing with the music that was being played but i'll settle for that...10 mins later i notice the place seemed to be full of irish guys with some sort of affiliation with newcastle united judging by the ooo's and aaah's but i reckon i've got them outnumbered if its all kicks off...about 60 mins into the game, irish bloke on my left says to irish bloke on my right, 'is shay given not playing then'...'no' comes the reply...'no wonder there's no goals then' says irish bloke on my left who obviously decides chatting up the woman next to him is now much more entertaining...now, women always complain that blokes cant concentrate on more than thing at once but we all know the reason we all claim to not hear what they say when we're watching football or something is because we dont want to listen to something that's either very boring, involves us doing some unnecessary work or is going to cost us money...anyway, irish bloke on my left starts telling this woman how his 70 year old dad back in ireland is building his own house (obviously thinking this will impress her no end), embellishing the story as he goes along so that the house he's building becomes 2 houses...which his old mum has now taken on the role of architech for...then his brother is also building his own house, because that's what his family are like...then he goes back to the story about his dad and the house is now a 1970's property he's renovating...and punctuating his story, he's either making phone calls or receiving them and making statements along the lines 'so the craics alright there then'...and all the time, she's actually listening to him and taking it all in...i can tell you, what with listening to him, some reasonable music and the thought that charlton might just nick something here, i was disappointed when the final whistle went...cant wait for the next ppv away game...i'm going back there again to watch it...

Comments

• Is that one massive sentence??

ha ha ha
  • I'm pretty sure ltgr could write a book all in one sentence. I do enjoy his ramblings.

You should of stayed in the first pub, they would of showed the game, just not paid sky money.

the pub i was in had the first half through a greek channel, then the 2nd through an arabic one.
  • We had the Chelsea match on in my local though the Arabic channel. But the addicks match was on the other Arabic channel - it was soon switch over in time for kick off.
  • We had the Chelsea match on in my local though the Arabic channel

Similar moment of panic in my pub...match? What match? Some idiot then insisted it was on BBC (WTF), then the barman asked me if Sheff Utd-Chelsea on Premiere (German equivalent of Sky) would suffice, followed by a couple of people who then came in wanting to watch the rugby...I missed the first few minutes sorting all that out and seeing off the rugby crowd, but it was a close run thing.
  • the problem is you never really get any build up, match camera only really goes on when the players run out.

How long will it be before we get the Chevrolet adverts over here ?