Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cardiff, at home, 68/69, good friday, 4-1

if i recall rightly, then 2-0 at home to middlesboro on the saturday and a draw at birmingham on the monday...did i get that right ?

Comments

• Options
    That Cardiff game was the only game my Mum, who passed away this year, ever went to. Bless.
  • Options
    i was minus five then
  • Options
    was it an 11am k.o.? do you remember ?
  • Options
    My first ever game at the Valley - was it Treacy, Tees (2) Gregory ano ?
  • Options
    4- 1 with goals from Tees (2) Gregory and Moore. I was there.

21, 2832 there (we averaged 17,973 that season) which shows you how well we are doing to get more than that on average this year
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]4- 1 with goals from Tees (2) Gregory and Moore. I was there.

21, 2832 there (we averaged 17,973 that season) which shows you how well we are doing to get more than that on average this year

Bloody hell, i knew The Valley was big in the old days but not that big
  • Options
    it was big wss!
  • Options
    Henry and I were a lot thinner back then though WSS which meant more room :-)
    I remember the game even though I was only 9. I'm sure we had BBC wales cameras at a game against Cardiff around that time too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]4- 1 with goals from Tees (2) Gregory and Moore. I was there.

21, 2832there (we averaged 17,973 that season) which shows you how well we are doing to get more than that on average this year

Bloody hell, i knew The Valley was big in the old days but not that big

You kids know nothing. We had to start going into the ground on a Wednesday so everyone could get in by 3.00pm on Saturday. Unicef used to fly in food and water when big games were declared disaster areas. Aid was diverted from third world countries cos so many people were on the East Terrace.

Terrible if you turned up late. I hate to watch one game from the Observatory in Greenwich Park cos I only arrived Saturday morning. View wasn't great but you could say you were there.

I remember when Blackburn brought 100,000 fans to a game on a Tuesday night and there were still spaces at their end. They tried to take the Covered End but got lost on the way across the ground. Most of them ended up at the barracks in Woolwich and before they knew were signed up for the Royal Artilary and off fighting in the Yeman. Made men of them, mind.
  • Options
    Henry that is such a pile of rubbish. It was Kenya not Yemen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great season

have always been able to reel off the team (wrightcurtiskinseycampbellwentreevesgregorytesstreacymoorepeacock) but was surprised recently looking at details of that season that that team hardly ever played because of injuries etc!
  • Options
    This was my first season of regular games at the Valley. We had some really great crowds that season, from memory we had about 29,000 for Derby sometime after Xmas......I just remember the huge number of people there and it was cold....think we won 2-0. Im sure we played Cardiff on the Friday morning, Middlesbrough on the Saturday afternoon (2-0) and then up to Birmingham (1-1) on the Monday. Was a real treat seeing the players at the Valley on two consecutive days...can you imagine the uproar if we asked these superstars of today to do the same? A game before Xmas always stands out in my mind when we beat QPR 5-3 at the Valley....cracking game! My favourite player at the time was none other than Harry Gregory.....I named my eldest Son Greg in honour of our Harry...(Harry wasnt a popular name at all 20 odd years ago!
  • Options
    Birmingham on the monday was a 0-0, the following tuesday night at home we beat Blackburn 4-0.
  • Options
    Was the Blackburn game re-arranged then due to a postponement? The last two games were Huddersfield away and PNE at home
  • Options
    Can't remember about a psotponement, the Huddersfield game away was 0-0 just after the 0-0 with birmingham, pne was the last game which we lost 0-1 and went on forever for some reason,we also missed 1 or 2 pens.
  • Options
    Hi Tel that 5-3 before Xmas was against Fulham. QPR were spending the season getting hammered & relegated in Division One, having been promoted the previous season. If you dig down into the bowels of the Home & Away threads, you'll find it's one of the featured matches with lots of reminiscences.

That final Preston game was a rotten anti-climax. We had to win to go up and Palace just needed a point, I think.
    The whisper went round the ground that Palace were winning well - and Charlton just lost their way. No surprise that Preston scored to pull off an unexpected win.

I remember Ray Crawford playing centre forward for us in that match and missing a good chance to give us the lead.
    And as the results were announced as the match finished, we heard that Palace had won and any Charlton win would have been merely academic.

After the fantastic & unexpected season we'd had, it was a real let down to finish 3rd behind Champions
    (Brian Clough's) Derby County, and Bert Head's Cripple Paralysis, as we called them then.
  • Options
    Quite right Oggy....cant think why I put down QPR......I guess thats another story!

I think you'll find I contributed to that thread about Rangers.....but there again I may be mistaken.....I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!

Still think that Blackburn game had to be a postponement, ....I'll dig out my old programs and have a look