Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Met Ade Boothroyd last night

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
He doesnt look too much beyond Charlton and WBA as their rivals and thinks we will finish first or second.

Comments

• Options
    how did this come about young sir?
  • Options
    yeah righto talk other teams up and make his own accomplishments look better, he must fancy his own mob to win it they're 10 points clear of us!!
  • Options
    nice guy ?

i'm unconvinced by him to be honest. Have full respect for the way he got them promoted and their strong start to this season, but i don't rate him as much as the plaudits suggest.

Stand by my Watford won't win this league comment.
  • Options
    You mean Charlton Dan
  • Options
    Seriously. I met him at a charity do. Fergie and Gordon Brown was there also. Had a nice relaxed chat with Boothroyd and he was very genuine. Of course he fancies his own mob but he thought we were his main rivals along with WBA. Thinks the table may look about right after we play them twice early in 2008.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]nice guy ?

i'm unconvinced by him to be honest. Have full respect for the way he got them promoted and their strong start to this season, but i don't rate him as much as the plaudits suggest.

Afka - Why are you so unconvinced? He got them promoted out of nowhere on a shoestring budget, admittedly they came back down but remember they had King out injured nearly all season. If we'd had D.Bent out all season we'd have done a lot worse than them. And now he's got them strolling this division.
  • Options
    Dowie also did the same with Palace and we now see his limitations.

I think he has a good formula for approaching this division and everything has fallen kindly for him at Watford. He started there when they were having a poor run, and benefited from momentum. I think there is aura about him that wil be lost outside his current comfort zone.

As i said, i respect what he has done there, but if they go up i don't think he is good enough to adapt and expect them to finish bottom again, and i also think he will struggle in his next job. Just my view, and fully understand most won't agree.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Agree with the Dowie comparison but I think it is a case with Boothroyd of so far so good but unproven beyond that. Assuming that Watford to go up the real test will be to see how they do in the prem and as you say when he moves on.

He's still young, most likely still learning and clearly has some talent in building a squad and getting them to play to a pattern that works for them. I think he has a future but then a few years agao I though Mike Newell was a prospect. Where is he, or Kevin Blackwell or Steve Cotterill, now?
  • Options
    There is probably a Curbs factor there as well in that like Curbs with us in the 99/00 promotion season he has exactly the same squad (probably better) that went up then down so they are in a great position.

We have had a massive turnover player-wise and Sheffield United have the Robson factor as a major hinderance compared to the stability at Watford.

The real crunch for them will be their Prem form next year (if they get there) because if they bomb again you could argue that, unlike Curbs, he did not learn from the experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite] And now he's got them strolling this division.

It's only November.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like Curbs, Boothroyd shows that he's a good organiser, able to spot lower league talent and play to the strengths of the players at his disposal. What was the old cliche - something like the team is greater than the sum of it's parts?

Like Curbs pre-Murphy/Rommedahl, he also never signs 'star players' - so no primadonna fancy dans on mega wages,
    no outsized egoes. He has good solid players busting a gut for him and that shows in the team ethics.

As coach at Sheff Wed, he was well rated for his management potential.

Is he good manager?
    Well, he took an unrated,no prospects lower table team and won them promotion against all the odds.
    Sure - as expected, they were relegated straightaway - but the £11million parachute payment has given them the clout to be a big fish in this division and removed fear of financial difficulty.

They sit top of the league, apparently about to repeat the process.
    And if they go straight up and come straight back down, then that's £30 million in the bank and another £11 million parachute payment.

Do you think Watford's directors will be pleased with that.
    Good manager? I bet they love him.
  • Options
    Boothroyd shows that he's a good organiser...

Exactly, he plays to his team's strengths and has created a well organised unit. In a division without a team that looks head and shoulders better than the others he has gotten Watford off to a great start, plus they only lost a couple of players from the relegation squad and despite going straight back down they never really looked like they were playing well above their abilities. They took points off us in both games last year and had they gotten things together a bit earlier in the season could have beaten the drop.
  • Options
    Did Fergie or Gordon Brown have a view on the Championship race? ;-)
  • Options
    Just wait for Watford fans to start mumbling about the 'next level'. Then we'll see how good he is.
  • Options
    How can anyone think he's like Dowie!

Look at the utter sh)te Dowie brought here.

2 Million Quid for Djimi 'I thought the club were paying my bills' raore!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    as bad as some of dowie's signing's were (12 games wasn't enough to see how good/bad he really is) yet he's still managed to get coventry within a point of us after 15 games with a very limited budget
  • Options
    you sure it wasn't a certain Charlton Dan pretending to be the watford manager?
  • Options
    No that was Fancy Dan on mega wages ......... ;o)
  • Options
    I can't believe that people can try to compare Boothroyd to Dowie. But mostly I just can't believe that people defend Dowie on here - just can't believe it. I'm not even going to try to give my reasons again - I'm incredulous.
  • Options
    Ha. This is a good one.

At least Boothroyd got one of his predictions right... they might fall out of a play off spot themselves on Sunday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Well i finally got one thing right !
  • Options
    i owe you dont I ?
  • Options
    what for ? can't remember the bet !
  • Options
    thank feck for that