Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ancient graffiti??

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
One of the old council flats near the Cutty Sark in Greenwich has "Slade Alive" (LP release date 1972) crudely daubed in red paint on one of it's walls....

In the good old days graffiti usually said something legible to the rest of the world, nowadays it's all this tag crap.

So any more lurking around SE London & beyond? There must still be a "Free George Davis" somewhere??!!

Comments

• Options
    Bottom of Farmdale Road, Greenwich, has "THE BLOW OFFS OK" or "THE BLOW OFF SOK" there - made me snigger when I was five, still makes me snigger 27 years on. And that's right next to what's still called NO POLL TAX bridge that divides Greenwich from Charlton even though that bit of graffiti was wiped off a decade ago.

For many years there was also the mysterious ISH LOVE YOU ALWAYS XXXX off Westcombe Hill, which appeared one Valentine's Day and stayed for about 20 years.

Oh, and there's some crappy tags dated 96 next to the railway line as you come out of Deptford.
  • Options
    I just read an article about it in Smoke - which is a seriosuly great magazine
  • Options
    [cite] Oakster:[/cite]I just read an article about it in <a href="http://home.btconnect.com/smoke/index.htm">Smoke</a&gt; - which is a seriosuly great magazine

It's a nice read, isn't it? Sometimes they go a bit OTT on things, but generally it's good stuff. I went to one of their parties once, mind, full of Hoxton mullet types :-)

Time Out's doing a lot more of that "alternative side to London" stuff now as well.
  • Options
    On a wall at Lullingstone Villa, there's "Romanorum vado domus"
  • Options
    Any Charing Cross commuter can see "Big Dave's Gusset" daubed on a wall in a hire firm's yard near Waterloo East...
  • Options
    yes, although i've noticed some stuff going on in that yard recently that i thought was unused, hope they don't get rid of it!
  • Options
    I wrote about Big Dave's Gusset on a blog a year or so back, and a few weeks ago got the following reply from a bloke called David Mills...

"I am Big Dave of the Gusset fame. I was thinking back about this grafitti so Googled it.

I worked on the JLE Project for the main contractor at London Bridge for 3 years and my office was up a level in the shed where the wall is adorned with this motif! My colleague Jason Gregory painted this slogan after finding much mirth in my Y-Front style Champion underpants anyone could see if in the office at shift change when we would be getting changed. I had a few pairs, they did indeed have a Gusset, my name is Dave and I am Big. Big Daves Gusset."
  • Options
    Romani ite domum !
  • Options
    Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.
  • Options
    Don't you oppress me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFC B-Mob...by the entrance of Embankment tube for a number of years....
  • Options
    [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]For many years there was also the mysterious ISH LOVE YOU ALWAYS XXXX off Westcombe Hill, which appeared one Valentine's Day and stayed for about 20 years.

Len painted that but somone scrubbed out the "K" just a week later.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]On a wall at Lullingstone Villa, there's "Romanorum vado domus"

A disappointment that place is, being as it is enclosed in some shoddy corrugated MOD-style green shed. You can see it when you get in the shop, so I really can't imagine anyone would actually pay £4 to walk around the shed.
  • Options
    [cite] Salad Spinner:[/cite]
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]On a wall at Lullingstone Villa, there's "Romanorum vado domus"

A disappointment that place is, being as it is enclosed in some shoddy corrugated MOD-style green shed. You can see it when you get in the shop, so I really can't imagine anyone would actually pay £4 to walk around the shed.

It was supposed to be a joke SS.
  • Options
    [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]For many years there was also the mysterious ISH LOVE YOU ALWAYS XXXX off Westcombe Hill, which appeared one Valentine's Day and stayed for about 20 years.

Len painted that but somone scrubbed out the "K" just a week later.

LOL!!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]It was supposed to be a joke SS.
    this I am aware of! However, coincidentally, I walked by there for the first time on Sunday, hence my comments.
  • Options
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]It was supposed to be a joke SS.
    this I am aware of! However, coincidentally, I walked by there for the first time on Sunday, hence my comments.

I know - my tiling is better than some of those mosaics. Still there are some lovely pubs in Eynsford and the cross on the hill at Shoreham is always an emotional sight.
  • Options
    Only been in the Plough - bit characterless and very slow service, beer's alright.

What are the others like?