Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

reid's free kicks and corners

when charlton get a free kick in sight of goal should the club warn supporters in the middle of the stand behind the goal that he's aiming for them ?...and why do we all get excited when charlton win a corner ?

Comments

• Options
    you get excited about an away game let alone a corner.
  • Options
    Hughesie!
  • Options
    once upon a time we had a bloke called robson that was pretty useful with a free kick (whatever happened to him?) and you thought it was going to end up in the back of the net...more recently el k and boothroyd had the right idea, if you cant place it, belt it...whenever reid stood by the ball for a free kick on saturday i kept thinking this time the other player is going to smash it only to see him float it over the top of the goal yet again...he's a great passer of the ball in open play but dead ball in front of the goal scoring doesnt seem to be his forte...if he's not going to float the ball in to somebody's head then somebody with a hard shot should be using their defensive wall for target practice...
  • Options
    Reid's delivery is generally excellent, so I think that's a bit harsh really.

I remember when we signed Claus Jensen I kept reading about how he was a "free kick expert". He scored a few in the end, but I'm sure he didn't score any free kicks in his first year or two with us.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    henry...so, he's a great passer of the ball in open play AND from free kicks, its the direct dead ball attempt on goal from a free kick that seems to be a waste of time and effort...correct me if i'm wrong...
  • Options
    Mate, these are good times. Dare I say it but we should just let the good times roll!
    ;o)
  • Options
    maybe not in the last couple of games he has hit the bar several times with direct free kicks this season, unlucky a couple of those didn't go in.

Not forgetting that a penalty is a "direct dead ball attempt on goal from a free kick"!
  • Options
    other than penalties then where he's not trying to hit the ball above a defensive wall, has he scored from a free kick this season ?...anybody remember ?...most defenders in this division seem a big lot so perhaps he's having to kick the ball a bit higher to clear them...
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]henry...so, he's a great passer of the ball in open play AND from free kicks, its the direct dead ball attempt on goal from a free kick that seems to be a waste of time and effort...correct me if i'm wrong...

If you mean direct dead ball attempt on goal then say that. Maybe the confusion in the Cardiff defence was partially due to the defenders and keeper not being sure if it would be a direct shot or, as happened, a ball into the space between the two. The second free kick is again class as it was very difficult for the defenders to get on to but gave ZZ a great scoring opportunity.

I guess the goal against Stoke doesn't count as it came off Fortune : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2007
    so the only direct dead ball attempt on goal that's gone in is the one where he didn't try to lift it over the defensive wall...
  • Options
    Out of how many direct attempts this season? What would be an acceptable ratio? Do shots on target saved or cleared off the line count? How about hitting the woodwork?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Out of how many direct attempts this season? What would be an acceptable ratio? Do shots on target saved or cleared off the line count? How about hitting the woodwork?

a miss is a miss...if he tries to pick someone out he seems to be more successful than if he tries to put it over the top of the defensive wall...time for him to start varying it and letting somebody else have a go either at attempting to swerving it in or blasting it through the wall...a few of those mixed in with his occasional crosses would surely be putting the free kicks to better use than they are at present...
  • Options
    Insatiable the lot of ya! A 3-0 Home win after 2 away wins in the space of a week and we're moaning about someones free kick taking ability! It does make me chuckle!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Insatiable the lot of ya! A 3-0 Home win after 2 away wins in the space of a week and we're moaning about someones free kick taking ability! It does make me chuckle!

our gameplan revolves around this bloke...he has to boss the midfield, take free kicks and corners...out of the 11 charlton players on the pitch, which one looks like he has the least suitable build to maintain that for 90 minutes, week in week out ?...and we saw from the unneccessary bookings he got himself against plymouth and qpr that when things dont go our way he lets it get to him so making him continously take pointless free kicks where everybody knows its going to end up in row s if he tries to score surely isnt going to do a lot for his confidence...he's a great player but even great players have their limitations...dont expect him to do everything...let somebody else have a go with the free kicks...
  • Options
    you're on a wind up mr ltgtr but well done for reeling in Mr Irving.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You want to see Reidy score from a direct freekick....?

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=12116&page=1#Item_3
  • Options
    there's no way anybody but reid can take free kicks, he's the only one who kicks a ball sweetly more often than not and you only have to look at the buck/ball passing all our players do when the ball is within shooting range just outside the box(excluding danny mills)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]there's no way anybody but reid can take free kicks

On the right side using his left foot yes, left side- not sure.
  • Options
    Basey's got a good shot on him too - perhaps he should get a look in sometimes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Basey's got a good shot on him too - perhaps he should get a look in sometimes?
    think he had a few goes at Bristol City and got pretty close
  • Options
    two of our goals on Saturday came from Reidy free kicks, but now we're criticising him because the best he has done with one flavour of free kick is hit the bar several times. Amazing!
  • Options
    Yep, at Bristol, Basey took a couple of free kicks from outside the box - and he can belt them. One thundering effort shaved the bar.

It helps mix it up. Makes our free kicks less predictable.
  • Options
    The goal we got at Stoke was from a Reidy shot from a free kick. He comes close every game in my eyes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]The goal we got at Stoke was from a Reidy shot from a free kick. He comes close every game in my eyes

you should have gone to specsavers then...if he tries for goal it nearly always sails over the bar...the fact that the stoke goal went in off of fortunes arse just goes to show that he should try and keep it low instead of putting it over the top of the defensive wall...
  • Options
    I can think of at least two occasions when he's hit the bar from free kicks and goalkeepers have made good saves from them also
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I can think of at least two occasions when he's hit the bar from free kicks and goalkeepers have made good saves from them also

in how many games this season ?...you dont knock a player for trying but there comes a time when you have to say its not working, try something else or let somebody else have a go...now it may be that its part of the master plan to knock a few free kicks over the bar to get them complacent then sneak in a couple of crosses and score but that relies upon getting plenty of free kicks in a game...surely occasionally letting somebody else try going for goal, and potentially scoring (if they miss its no different from whats happening at the moment) has got to be worth a try...reidy can still sneak in his couple of crosses as he is at the moment...
  • Options
    Keep going ltgtr - I'm sure there are a few more still who will "bite" at this thread.
  • Options
    the way i see it from up in my seat, the trouble is reidy is a shortish, round chap and the opposition defences tend to be taller than him so when he takes a free kick the trajectory of the ball from his eyeline has to be at a steeper angle than say a taller chappie taking the shot...now we know his crosses from free kicks tend to be on the money which suggests he's holding back on the power for them so that once they've cleared the wall the ball has enough dropping distance...perhaps if he didn't put too much power into his direct attempts on goal and concentrated on getting the placement (ie that part of the goal the keeper cant get to in time) and the dropping distance right (ie it falls under the bar instead of sailing over it) then that might be more effective...
  • Options
    Comedy thread