Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The matchday programme

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
How many people buy this?

I do every game - but more out of habit than anything else (and because I've got thousands of the bleeders indoors so it kinda goes against the grain not to get one). If I'm honest I now find that I hardly ever read it. other than the odd glance through at half time.

I know the club had to make some cutbacks this year, but design wise it just looks a mess and totally unappealing - it's just too busy looking and the use of about 20 different fonts per issue. It's as if someone has let the youth trainee loose with the desktop publishing kit, which I appreciate in the current climate might not be too far from the truth!

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    Never buy it, the wife does but i very rarely read it. If i do, its only to read Pardew and Varney's bits. Everything else is either on here or on the official website or daily email.
  • Options
    I buy it largely out of habit as I posted on the how much do you spend thread.

I read it but then realise I've read most of it on the web already.
  • Options
    No ........ because I can't throw them away
  • Options
    I buy it but dont always read it.

Missing one home programme since 1959, carried on the old mans collection.
  • Options
    until this season have always bought it. However, I've now stopped. I thought I'd have to do cold chicken or whatever it is but I havn't missed it one iota. All either on the net before or after the game so a waste of money. What do I do with my 2,500+ progarmmes in the loft though ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I buy it but dont always read it.

Missing one home programme since 1959, carried on the old mans collection.

what one, I'll see if I have it or even a spare.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers, 1974/75 I think.

Before my time but im told there were power cuts or something like that and a shortage of programmes.

Thanks
  • Options
    I gave up with the rise to £3, it seemed a step to far. I'll still buy it if there's something in particular, or if I know I'm going to be on my own watching the match.

I do like it, though - it puts most other clubs' programmes to shame (even supposedly big clubs like Spurs) and there's always something to read in it.

But this year's design is awful, like some kind of hideous 80s revival. Maybe it was a conscious decision to to with a cheaper-looking design upon relegation ;-)
  • Options
    Perhaps they should make it more high-brow? A bit of Shakespeare for AP's page.

Doth not the three wins gain thou's rapture? Oh would it be so that thine plentiful crowd sing praise to those that toil for them. Alas, thou's moans cuts like a dagger to the heart and I cannot wash the Wimpy burger grease from my hands. Anon, next game, anon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Bristol Rovers, 1974/75 I think.

Before my time but im told there were power cuts or something like that and a shortage of programmes.

Thanks

I've got CAFC v Bristol Rovers for :

Let me know if it's any of those and you can have it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep i buy it,this season is better than that square abortion from last season and like off_it i've got thousands of the things
    Having a nightmare with the away programmes this season as i usually roll up 5 mins b4 kick off and they've all sold out and now Paul Ellis doesn't do them in the club shop anymore unless you have a subscription i'm having to resort to ebay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Yep i buy it,this season is better than that square abortion from last season and like off_it i've got thousands of the things
    Having a nightmare with the away programmes this season as i usually roll up 5 mins b4 kick off and they've all sold out and now Paul Ellis doesn't do them in the club shop anymore unless you have a subscription i'm having to resort to ebay.

best thing is to scour the floor on your way out at the end. Always a few kicking around. Much cheaper too and normally in a decent condition.
  • Options
    mmm worth a try i suppose,i'll give it go at cardiff...might be able to pick up a few quid in loose change as well ;)
  • Options
    leave the pub earlier then ya pisshead.
  • Options
    Love Sco's Shakespearian post...made me laugh out loud in the office....bit of a give away that I wasn't working....but hey Im the boss! I've stopped buying it this season as the web coverage really tells me what I need to know.....however, juts been through one of the many, many boxes of progs out in the warehouse from the 60's 70' Tons from the 80's and 90's and its actually a bit of fun to look back on some of the comments.....The Grammar from the 1967 Bolton game by the club secretary reminds me of where this post started with Sco....
    :-)
  • Options
    i buy it but only read a few bits........pards, varney, tom watts (bbc london guy) and colin cameron.....and the interviews if they're interesting but thats it. then they collect dust in my bedroom. but i agree, the design is shocking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite] tom watts (bbc london guy)

He's a gooner! Programme was great till he was allowed to take over a page previous written by a true Charlton fan.

Compared to other programmes I see it is miles ahead. A lot more content and a lot less advertising and photos used to fill one or more pages. Colin Cameron is always a great read, Like the bigger picture feature but you know what gets me. Bloody spot the difference. Can anyone get 6 differences? Impossible or I need an eye test.

With the t'internet the content will often seem out of date to those who use the net alot but that's not everyone. Check out how much the tabloids and the web news sites rip off it's stories and quotes.

I don't get one at the game as I get sent one every since I was a contributor so tend to read it at home.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i get all 6 every time. takes me the whole of half time though