Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My bike accident claim still going on from 3rd May

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
The police threatened the car driver with prosecution for dangerous driving if they did not go on, and pay for, a safe driving course which they did.

YET they still are trying to deny liability - no wonder our legal system is so chocker block at the moment especially with these type of claims.

I must admit I didn't want to claim for the injuries _ cracked ribs etc - felt a bit off but was off work for 2 weeks - but now I want to squeeze as much dough as possible out of them now.

Anyone else had this sort of trouble. Over bloody 6 months for what, in the eyes of the police, is a cut and dried case of liability against the other side.

Just sent the court summons back to my solicitors now so let's see what happens when they get them

Comments

• Options
    My 74 year old mum was knocked over in the street just before Christmas before last. Still trying to get the insurance as he wasn't insured and have to go to the Motor insurance Board that covers this. Had an interim payment asInsurers have accepted liability but are still argueing over how much £££ and how much damage it has caused. Would only pay 1/4 of a new bed as they argue my dad uses half of it!!!

As she is old they are arguing that a lot of her condition would have been like that anyway. Partially true but have a broken hip and shoulder after a van revered into her didn't f******* help either. Had to pay for a consultant ourselves to get an opinion.
  • Options
    Henry, you don't believe any insurer has YOUR best interests at heart, do you?

Their only purpose on this planet is to make fat profit for themselves.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]My 74 year old mum was knocked over in the street just before Christmas before last. Still trying to get the insurance as he wasn't insured and have to go to the Motor insurance Board that covers this. Had an interim payment asInsurers have accepted liability but are still argueing over how much £££ and how much damage it has caused. Would only pay 1/4 of a new bed as they argue my dad uses half of it!!!

As she is old they are arguing that a lot of her condition would have been like that anyway. Partially true but have a broken hip and shoulder after a van revered into her didn't f******* help either. Had to pay for a consultant ourselves to get an opinion.[/quote]

i'll shut up then
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]The police threatened the car driver with prosecution for dangerous driving if they did not go on, and pay for, a safe driving course which they did.

YET they still are trying to deny liability - no wonder our legal system is so chocker block at the moment especially with these type of claims.

I must admit I didn't want to claim for the injuries _ cracked ribs etc - felt a bit off but was off work for 2 weeks - but now I want to squeeze as much dough as possible out of them now.

Anyone else had this sort of trouble. Over bloody 6 months for what, in the eyes of the police, is a cut and dried case of liability against the other side.

Just sent the court summons back to my solicitors now so let's see what happens when they get them

Got my car written off by a foreign lorry driver on the A2 a few years back. He pulled out on me without indicating and ended up in the crash barriers.

As he was registered in Spain, it took over 2 years to get any insurance money, got it in the end, but dont expect anything in a hurry and stick with it as you get the feeling they hang it out in the hope you get fed up and give up.
  • Options
    "but dont expect anything in a hurry and stick with it as you get the feeling they hang it out in the hope you get fed up and give up."

As nasty as it sounds, another reason they drag it out is that there is a possibility of people passing away before a claim is settled
  • Options
    When I worked at a Housing Association I dealt with all the Public Liability 'Claims' against the Housing Association & you are always at the mercy of some solicitor who asks for some information then seemingly sits on it for six weeks then asks for something else & so forth, bit like they do when handling house sales really, they charge the earth & do naff all.

Stick with it, be bitter & twisted & lay it on thick Ledge, the company in question is obviously trying it's damnest to get out of it or for you to lose interest, screw em for every penny I say, just be patient unfortunately.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]When I worked at a Housing Association I dealt with all the Public Liability 'Claims' against the Housing Association & you are always at the mercy of some solicitor who asks for some information then seemingly sits on it for six weeks then asks for something else & so forth, bit like they do when handling house sales really, they charge the earth & do naff all.

We are busy people ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]When I worked at a Housing Association I dealt with all the Public Liability 'Claims' against the Housing Association & you are always at the mercy of some solicitor who asks for some information then seemingly sits on it for six weeks then asks for something else & so forth, bit like they do when handling house sales really, they charge the earth & do naff all.

Stick with it, be bitter & twisted & lay it on thick Ledge, the company in question is obviously trying it's damnest to get out of it or for you to lose interest, screw em for every penny I say, just be patient unfortunately.

Patience is a virtue as they say - - i ain't giving up on it i had to shell out for a new bike/ helmet etc whilst waiting for this - still suffer with some AFKA Bartrams because of it as well
  • Options
    In terms of a personal injury case, 6 months isn't that long.

Have your solicitors done the letter of claim?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    still suffer with some AFKA Bartrams because of it as well
    What? You've got shorter? ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What the hell are 'AFKA Bartrams' ????

I do hope its not piles :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]
    still suffer with some AFKA Bartrams because of it as well
    What? You've got shorter? ;o)

Compacted spine I'd assume......
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]What the hell are 'AFKA Bartrams' ????

I dont understand how the Ledge would have contracted thrush from a bike accident....
  • Options
    a right little pain in the neck HAHAHA

Only KIDDING Bart
  • Options
    Pretty much the same info as everyone else.

Had a car accident in 2001 totaly the other guys fault as he hit me at about 70mph while I was stationary on the M11 Stanstead slip road. Loads of witnesses, he accepted liability, was prosecuted by the OB and found guilty.

Insurance claim took 4 years to sort out.

Stick with it, because it's worth it and if you go by the principal that it's money you never had anyway, you should end up reasonably happy with th outcome.

Having said that I got three times as much as I first thought I would, but probably half as much as I probably could have got if I'd made better choices. But you live and learn and at least it paid for the luxury family holiday to Florida and a new XVS Dragstar amongst other things.

I accept that mine might be an extreme example, but the principal is I guess the same.
  • Options
    Just had letter from my solicitor.

The other side have finally admitted FULL LIBAILITY. - not bad considering the accident was 3rd May 07 lol.

Be interesting what the final settlement will be considering I get interest on any amount from the day of the accident.

Just glad it's over with.
  • Options
    Lend us a fiver Ledge - all of us!
    ;o)
  • Options
    Make sure you claim back any extra you've had to pay on your insurance premium as a result of your original claim.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Lend us a fiver Ledge - all of us!
    ;o)

lol

[cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]Make sure you claim back any extra you've had to pay on your insurance premium as a result of your original claim.

thankfully not increased that much on;y 30 quid so not bothered.
  • Options
    LOWER YOUR WEAPONS FOR I COME IN PEACE!
    I work in travel insurance as a Call Handler and can guarentee that 99% of the people i speak to I genuinely want to help, this doesn't always work when you are in this industry though!

Look carefully at policy wordings when it comes to taking out insurance and ask as many questions as possible as the big eggs above (Claim Handler's will always route out loopholes)

This is why I am looking for something elsewhere, any Admin jobs for around 20-23k a year in londinium let me know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Just had letter from my solicitor.

The other side have finally admitted FULL LIBAILITY. - not bad considering the accident was 3rd May 07 lol.

Be interesting what the final settlement will be considering I get interest on any amount from the day of the accident.

Just glad it's over with.[/quote]

Sorry to rain on the parade but it's not over yet.

Liability is only part of it. Quantum (the amount that you will get) can also take ages to sort out.

Hopefully, they will make you a sensible offer up front but be prepared for a bit more argy bargy before you see any money!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We are prosecuting some daft bint who turned right across our path (september 07). So bad was she that I actually manouvered to avoid her but she kept coming and drove into us. car was a write off and the missus had a whiplash inury.

at the very last minute they submitted a catalogue of lies claiming I was actually at fault and crossed their path, even lying about which direction they were coming from.

Essentially its a cynical attempt to muddy the waters and get the deal to at least go 50/50 with the insurers. So they don't have to pay out the whole 12k or so it will eventually add up to. I know a mate who had an identical thing happen.

My questions will be if they were so wronged:

Why did they leave it to me to register the accident with the police?

Why weren't they prosecuting us in the first place, instead of coming in at the last minute on deadline day with a counter fault claim some 8 months later?

Should be coming to court in the next few weeks/months, however I don't think these sort of things are criminal courts and all costs are footed by the parties involved so not as burden on legal system as such, just a way of keeping lawyers in cash.
  • Options
    I won't bore you to death about Mrs Spectacle's leg too much, but her claim still ongoing from January 2007 following her accident at Charlton station - the initial offer considering 2 of us could not work for over a year due to her needing full time care was, to put it politely, derisory and is still ongoing, but we're determined to screw every penny out of them. Even more inept were the DWP, who finally condescended to visit to see if we qualified for any benefit and confirm that she really had shattered her tibia and snapped her fibula in half, thus needing a metal plate and 12 screws inserted to repair it in May 2007. They then lost the paperwork, told her the claim was too late and we had to go through their appeals process which they finally upheld in April this year, proably because we had been such a pain in the rear to them that they just wanted to get rid of us. However, the back dated pay has still not been received. All being well she is back at work on Monday nearly two years after the accident. I won't get into arguments about either benefit fraud or ridiculous compensation payouts but to say it has been galling, the pain she has suffered and still does (the body can regulate to a change in the weather, metal cannot) being something unimaginable at times. In the grand scheme of things we are quite lucky, but as just deserts go, she deserves them.

Rant over.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No never let up threaten legal action against them and they'll pay up surprisingly quickly!
  • Options
    Oh, we have - solicitor on the case and everything - they won't get away with it!
  • Options
    Good luck with it, I hope it all goes well!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Just had letter from my solicitor.

Don't forget to claim for the lobotomy Ledge

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

Sorry to rain on the parade but it's not over yet.

Liability is only part of it. Quantum (the amount that you will get) can also take ages to sort out.

Hopefully, they will make you a sensible offer up front but be prepared for a bit more argy bargy before you see any money!

Oh I don't care about that mate - the solicitors have warned of that - as long as they have admitted full liability I am happy with that FOR NOW

[cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

Don't forget to claim for the lobotomy Ledge

;-)

Cor you're on top form again incha - so funny