Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 18th Nov 1972. Tonbridge 0 Charlton 5

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
F A Cup first round. Saturday 18th November 1972. Tonbridge 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 5 (2) (Horsfield 11, Peacock 21 86, Flanagan 51, Gilchrist (og) 52).
Angel Ground. Att: 7,770.

Tonbridge: White, Gilchrist, Stanley, Yorath, Newcombe, Bielkus, Stonebridge, Sims (Waters 64), Flood, Smith, Knox.

Charlton: Dunn, Jones, Warman, P Hunt, Reeves, Shipperley, Bond, P Davies, Flanagan, Horsfield, Peacock. Unused sub: O'Kane.

Referee: A Grey (Great Yarmouth)

Non-League Tonbridge were a nursery club for Charlton in the 1950's.

Arthur Horsfield top scored for mid-table Division 3 Charlton with 29 goals in all competitions

Comments

• Options
    i was there...we went by lewis coach from opposite the old abc (?) cinema in greenwich...a major culture shock on account that we had been relegated the year before and now had to play in the first round of the fa cup... i think one side of their ground was marked by a rope instead of a fence and terracing...
  • Options
    Enjoyed this match as it wasn't often we won away. I seem to recall it was all kicking off around the ground too...but that was normal for any match. I wrote to the club and asked for an enamel badge which they kindly sent to me.
  • Options
    Was just talking to a mate at Work about Tonbridge as he is an AFC fan and they played Tonbridge Angels last night.
    I was at this game as well, just remember it being muddy and being at the front behind the goal to watch the game.
  • Options
    I was there too, we got the train down to Tonbridge, was a funny day. I sneaked out to this one as my Mum wasnt fond of me going to away games and I was only 12. I remember the fighting more than the game, but do remember King Arthurs goal...
    Those were the days :-)
  • Options
    That was a good day - quite a lot of Charlton there and KIng Arthur with the first goal.
  • Options
    Another ground that is no longer there alas as they have since moved. do well to get 700 in their new place let alone 7,000.
  • Options
    I was there also. Seem to remember it was the main game on TV. And yes it did kick off. I was 13 and thought it was great fun.How wrong I was.
  • Options
    I lived closer to Tonbridge than The Valley. I went to the game. It was the first game I saw us play against non-league opposition. I seem to remember that we played in yellow but I may be mistaken. There were alot of Charlton there. It was packed out 7,000 was a real squeeze into that ground.
  • Options
    Train pulled into Maidstone West and to my joy (as a 13year old) it was jam packed full of Charlton fans.
    I remebmer some bloke getting his chap out at half time and warning people wearing suede shoes to get out of the way as his pissed all down the terrace, with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.
    There were many running battles around the ground and I remember seats getting thrown out of the train window and bulbs being smashed. God knows what would have happened if we lost!
  • Options
    I remember getting the train at Grove Park to Tonbridge at about 11:30 and the train was packed out with Charlton Fans. Wasn't the trouble caused by a crew of Chelsea fans who had just come for a fight.?

I also remember that it was very difficult to move in our terrace as they did not expect so many Charlton fans to turn up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Before we got relegated, we were used to turning up at the old traditional First Division type grounds like Ayresome Park, Fratton Park, St Andrews, Bloomfield Road, Burnden Park and Deepdale(!) - it was a real culture shock to actually see Charlton play a competitive match in a place like the Angel Ground.

The Manor Ground at Oxford in Div 2 was probably the nearest I'd experienced before although Aldershot ran it a close second later that same season. And then there was Rochdale & Halifax.......

The match itself was sort of mildly interesting as Tonbridge only threatened in occasional spells and Charlton hardly got out of 2nd gear. I was with my Dad & sis, so wasn't involved when it all kicked off.
  • Options
    The Manor Ground at Oxford in Div 2 was probably the nearest I'd experienced before although Aldershot ran it a close second later that same season.

Manor Ground !!! We played there twice one season in the League and Cup - rubbish open away end with an alley behind it. And Aldershot - that was a shocker, almost like a park ground.

But I must admit, they were good awaydays.
  • Options
    Did quite a few trips up to the Manor Ground and remember that Alley way really well.....had some hassle there one year in the Alley. Aldershot was a different world....and I have to agree with Stonemuse, there were some really good away days back then.

"The match itself was sort of mildly interesting as Tonbridge only threatened in occasional spells and Charlton hardly got out of 2nd gear. I was with my Dad & sis, so wasn't involved when it all kicked off"

So what youre saying then Oggy is that you would have been had the Dad and sis not been there...

:-)

I myself was just too young and innocent....lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite].

"The match itself was sort of mildly interesting as Tonbridge only threatened in occasional spells and Charlton hardly got out of 2nd gear. I was with my Dad & sis, so wasn't involved when it all kicked off"

So what youre saying then Oggy is that you would have been had the Dad and sis not been there...

:-)

I myself was just too young and innocent....lol

No doubt, Tel. LOL

I can gaze serenely into the blue and without looking you in the eye, tell you I was never involved...... ;o)
    Trouble was, it found you. You'd be in a group ambling along to the pub/station/coach/chippy/ground and they would see your colours or infiltrate on the terraces and hey ho.

First match in Div 3 after relegation in 1972 was a sunny day at Walsall. Jeez, the scenes there ......
    And the bricks & blades flying at Pompey, Cardiff & Birmingham not to mention the annual tea party at the Den.

But places like Southport, Shrewsbury & Rochdale - the locals were genuinely friendly. Real clubs in the true sense of the word.
  • Options
    Funny you should mention that as I'm at Tonbidge Angels on the line against Wealdstone in the Ryman Premier.
  • Options
    Didn't one of the Sodjie brother's play for Tonbridge Angels, after playing for Welling Utd ?

Remember a Sodjie who played for Welling, those were good days when Rivieire (sp?) was playing lol.
  • Options
    The Sodje who played at Welling, is Sam's nephew....... was one of ours who came through the Charlton youth system and then was farmed out to Gravesend (Webbedfeet, I think they call themselves now).

But maybe I heard he's somewhere like York City now.

Ask our Sam. He'll know.
  • Options
    I was there as well, but worryingly I can't remember a damn thing about it. I do however remember similar trips to Harlow Town and Chelmsford City over the years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]I was there as well, but worryingly I can't remember a damn thing about it. I do however remember similar trips to Harlow Town and Chelmsford City over the years.

didn't go to harlow but chelmsford was a similar outing as i recall...met at liverpool street station and we stood drinking there...didn't seem to be that many charlton fans about (probably because we were running a bit late by the time we moved on) but there were when we got in the ground...i'm fairly sure the game had kicked off by the time we got into that little stand down the side, certainly the agro had...i remember they had those push button door trains, the first time we'd come across them and that they couldn't have been centrally controlled by the guard or driver so that the charlton fans kept pushing the bleeding buttons, opening the doors and we were stuck in chelmsford station for ages after the game....
  • Options
    Bumped a week late in terms of our first round tie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not in to football violence and despise the recent films glamouring it, but were there really blades flying around in the 1970s?! I imagine bricks and darts where, but blades?! Where there many deaths?
  • Options
    Went on Lewis coaches with Dear Old Eddie Cecil the driver not the first time or the last that it all kicked of with Chelsea fans .As for Oggys dad Pete had many a god day out with him,
  • Options
    I was there at that Tonbridge game.
    Seem to remember the players had to walk through the crowd to get off the pitch; or maybe we'd all run on - can't remenber now.
    I was determined to slap King Arthur on the back!

I also remember that Aldershot game.
    Went there expecting to paste them - but it p1ssed down with rain and we lost 3-0.
  • Options
    The days when non-league teams were treated with respect.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/10818109683

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    Used to love these days out. Me and my dad. Seemed to take an age to get to Tonbridge in our old Austin Westminster...Ah, memories