Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Bruce to Wigan- Why??

Bbc.co.uk

Am I missing something here but why would he want to go there?

Comments

• Options
    as if carston yeung completes his takeover, it's very unlikely he'll have a job come the new year

strange on it's face but would be a fairly shrewd move if he knows that he is definitely not the new board's choice
  • Options
    Look at his boat. I bet he likes a drink!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]as if carston yeung completes his takeover, it's very unlikely he'll have a job come the new year

strange on it's face but would be a fairly shrewd move if he knows that he is definitely not the new board's choice

Good point- hadn't thought of that- but surely better for him, he gets the tic-tac together with a rather tasty financial settlement, the general football public together with Joe Chairman who has just decided to sack his manager feels sorry for him and he walks into the next Premiership vacancy with a fair few quid in the bank and without the "jumping ship" tag?
  • Options
    in theory yes, but that's gmabling on there a) being another job in the prem available in the new year or soon after b) it being at bruce's level (arguably only about 20% of the Prem or less would be) and c) them wanting him

perhaps he's gambling on his lack of a future at birmingham but not willing to instead gamble on all three of the above!
  • Options
    Looks like it's going ahead then - £3m to Brum as well.

I can't remember being in charge of them before though?

Strange move in my opinion
  • Options
    Yeah seems strange from Wigan too, Bruce seems to have ammassed this reputation without actually acheiving much IMO. Put it this way if Pards' had moved on to pastures new and we had to pay £3m of our transfer budget on him I wouldn't be too impressed!
  • Options
    4 year contract reportedly worth £2m a year might be a good enough reason
  • Options
    Wasn't he there few a few months before he walked out on them to join Jordan at Palarse? Has come full circle.
  • Options
    There are all sorts of other factors to consider. He probably made his ‘family base’ around Manchester from the time he was there, and it’s likely that is the area his family are most comfortable living. I don’t think fans appreciate how important the family angle sometimes is.

On a professional level, he probably feels he has taken Brum as far as he can. He has come close to the sack there a couple of times, and I don’t think the supporters have ever fully been behind him. With Wigan, it’s clear that they really want him, and that speaks volumes to some people. Sounds a tasty contract as well.
  • Options
    COuld he be the first manager to relegate two clubs in the same season ?

And aside, does anyone actually rate Bruce as a manager ? Always seemed similar purchase wise to Curbishley, but a notch below.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]COuld he be the first manager to relegate two clubs in the same season ?

And aside, does anyone actually rate Bruce as a manager ? Always seemed similar purchase wise to Curbishley, but a notch below.

Billy McNiel was manager of Villa and Man City when they both got relegated in the same season. I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted by: Henry Irving[/cite]Billy McNiel was manager of Villa and Man City when they both got relegated in the same season. I think.

That's right, Henry, he sure was back in 1986/87.

That was the year we beat McNeil's Aston Villa 3-0 at Selhurst at Easter and Jimmy Melrose scored a cracker and ran right across the field to the Villa bench and gave the old heave-ho to McNeil.

McNeil had been in charge of Man City the year before and had sold Melrose to us having told all and sundry that he "was not good enough for the First Division."

I think 17 goals in that season for Jimmy proved McNeil wrong.