Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I Give Warnock Four More Games

Jordan driven by results
Palace chairman happy to hire and fire

Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan insists results are the only criteria on which managers should be judged.

The Selhurst Park supremo sees no reason to persist with any boss who fails to deliver, simply for the sake of stability.

And Jordan believes that performance-related deals for both players and managers would lead to improved displays on the field.

God-given right

He told Sky Sports News: "Football managers get paid a significant amount of money, from the lowest football manager to the highest of the high, they are all massively above the national average.

"They have no God-given right to have a job for any period of time subject to anything other than performance.

"If you don't do your job very well, then you don't deserve to keep it.

"Football managers should be judged by results. It's the same as if you get a new manager for Vodafone in and sales after 15 months have got worse, do you give him a pat on the back, or do you give him his P45?

"I know what happens in the real world, so why should it be any different in football?"

Nonsense

Having already replaced Peter Taylor with Neil Warnock this season, Jordan has made it clear he will not tolerate failure.

He added: "If you were to put managers, and I would suggest players as well, on much more performance-related contracts, you would see much more performance.

"This stability nonsense, the idea that keeping a manager in situ will give you a stable and progressive club, is nonsense.

"Look at Crewe, they've had Dario Gradi in charge for 20 years. Yes, they've been great at producing players, but where has their football club gone? Up and down, up and down.

"Ultimately, if you've got stability and you're fortunate enough to have a very good manager and you can see that he is building and constantly evolving and you can see the club is progressing bit by bit, then of course stability is pertinent.

"But if you've got a football manager who is going the wrong way, why keep him in place for longer than you have to."

Comments

• If I was Warnock I'd tell him to stick his job and see what other mug he can find to do it while he remains Chairman
  • How about performance-related payments for chairmen?
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]How about performance-related payments for chairmen?
    Exactly, bloody hyprocritcal twat
  • edited November 2007
    Before Dario Gradi came along Crewe was a lowly 4th division club and had been for many years often finishing in the re-election spots (as it used to be) or just above them.

Without wanting to be patronising holding down a mid table position in the Championship (or equivalent) was a tremendous achievement for them and anything above the bottom tier given the size of club is pretty good.

Just shows what the orange berk knows about football really!
  • to be fair to the Orange one, if the chairman owns the club he can probably pay himself as much or as little as he wants..

he's not an employee is he?
  • All over by Xmas For Warnock
  • And to be honest, I'd be surprised if the orange one has taken much out of Palarse.

But he should look at his own record before he opens his mouth, especially before having a pop at one of the best managers in the country.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan insists results are the only criteria on which managers should be judged.

"They have no God-given right to have a job for any period of time subject to anything other than performance.

"If you don't do your job very well, then you don't deserve to keep it.

"Football managers should be judged by results. It's the same as if you get a new manager for Vodafone in and sales after 15 months have got worse, do you give him a pat on the back, or do you give him his P45?

on ssn he moans about having to pay off managers when sacking them, so why give warnock a contract 'til 2010 when he has the power to give a shorter contract or make it a performance related one.

the man is an utter snotgobbler.
  • Could it actually be then that the player transfers HE sanctioned are not up to the job? Bottom Three and how many wins since the opening day of the season tells it's own story. We may well get to sing 'We'll never play you again' in the return match after all!
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

Now thats what I call a great insult - PBS. I've made a mental note to use it as much as possible
  • Sponsored links:

• The man is funny - and gets funnier with every utterance...

On the one hand he bemoans how much Palace have cost him over the years and yet on the other he wants to hire and fire like he has money to burn - it cost Al Fayed 100M to take Fulham up and Chelsea spent 3 or four times that to go from 4th to 1st ... and yet Crewe and Charlton have steadily risen above their perceived status ... by managing their clubs like any other business - with stability, flair, luck and passion - and low key directors/chairmen

Bottom line is Palace have gone nowhere fast lol
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]

Now thats what I call a great insult - PBS. I've made a mental note to use it as much as possible

LOL...almost Roald Dahl-esque!!!
  • I'm sure Mr Warnock will still be Palace manager by the team we visit the Valley in feb.

And of the 11 that started at against Charlton at Selhurst I would only expect Speroni, Lawrence, Hudson and possibly Soares to still be envolved.

He's got a big job of work on, but this is a very unpredictable league as you all well know having lost 3 on the bounce then won 3 on the bounce.

The Play-offs are still not beyond us!!! ;-)
  • Regarding his comments about Crewe, the point that Jordan appears to have typically utterly missed, is Dario Gradi achieved what he did on average gates of only 5-6,000 - and that he did it, by bringing quality players through his youth sceme and selling them on for profit.

By wiping out the club's overdraft and making the club more or less financially self-sufficient by this strategy, he still managed promotions, periods of Championship tenure competing against ex-Premiership clubs giving the fans a hugely better quality of football and opposition than otherwise in the basement division.

He did this consistantly over a 24 year period.

And he didn't do it by becoming a focus of derision with every football fan in the country.
    Are you listening, Jordan?
  • Leave him to it. Let him sack another manager - it would be brilliant. Palace back in Division Three where they belong. Lovely.
  • edited January 2012
    History repeating itself,I wonder how long Warnock will survive at QPR