Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sidcup Addicks....

2»

Comments

• Options
    the plough was my regular haunt,used to go in the fox sometimes with the sawdust down and they would hand out the sheet music for everyone to go with the piano or am i just making it all up now?
  • Options
    I think the Fox is still there .... in fact I know it is.

I tend to do late night domino halls for a better atmosphere ...
  • Options
    PeakeysRocket: "We're riding along on the crest of a wave ........" - with full hand movements - no, you're not making it up mate!

Was the Plough the one by the station, where they eventually put a bowling lane of some description in there? If so I used to go in there too - before the bowling lane went in I hasten to add!

Anyone remember the Duke of Cambridge - big old boozer on the corner where the roundabout is now? Never went in there meself, but I bet it was the sort of boozer I'd probably love now!
  • Options
    Dont live in Sidcup myself, but the Hogs Head looks pretty reasonable
  • Options
    I was in the charcoal burner on sunday afternoon for two hours. its okay in there.
  • Options
    AFKA is slightly nervous of that place.
  • Options
    it feels like your in some spanish holiday bar.

but nicer on the inside than it looks on the outside.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] Off_it:[/cite]PeakeysRocket: "We're riding along on the crest of a wave ........" - with full hand movements - no, you're not making it up mate!

Was the Plough the one by the station, where they eventually put a bowling lane of some description in there? If so I used to go in there too - before the bowling lane went in I hasten to add!

Anyone remember the Duke of Cambridge - big old boozer on the corner where the roundabout is now? Never went in there meself, but I bet it was the sort of boozer I'd probably love now!

I remember the Duke Of Cambridge. Bass Charrington pub if memory serves me right and I've always been partial to a pint of draught bass. At the time I'm talking about (mid late seventies) the landlord was an ex RAF type who used to play rugby for Streatham- Croydon back in the thirties. There were old team photos on some of the walls.

My local used to be the Roebuck which was a Fullers Pub tucked round the back of the Odeon near where the 89 and other buses used to start and finish.

It's all been knocked down now though. There was an Irish Pub near the railway bridge (? The Anchor or maybe The Plough) where you could get a lock in. I was always half cut when I ended up in there hence my difficulty in recalling the name. I don't know whether that pub still remains.

Changing the subject from pubs there was a shop called Williams just across the road from that Irish pub and it was like going back 40 years when you went there. A real time warp.

Probably gone now though. Even Chiesmans, which became Army and Navy, is long gone I believe.

Oh well that's progress I suppose.
  • Options
    Just come in on the end of this link,
    Portraits great for a good perv at all the young arty birds that will one day be extras in the cafe in eastenders!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    you've obviously studied them well as thats exactly what one of my "dancer" friends is doing! :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Plough is the one on Lewisham Road next to the railway bridge which is now a really iffy sports bar (and had a bowling lane), the Anchor is the grubby one the other side of the railway bridge at the bottom of Lewisham Hill, think it's Irish but have only been in there once.

There was also yet another pub by the other railway bridge on Loampit Vale, right where the DLR station is now... the Man of Kent?

What makes me laugh about Lewisham is that it's been redeveloped dramatically over the past 10 years or so... and now they want to redevelop it again!

Meanwhile, I think one of the lamp posts in Sidcup got repainted a few years ago ;-)
  • Options
    Sidcup didn't look too great tonight with around 15 police outside the station shops, while a couple of kids were being held in Tesco :-(
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Inspector: That looks like a shocking waste of money to me. I was a resident of Lewisham last time they did it up (when they spent thousands moving the clocktower all of 20 yards!) which was also around the time they sponsored Millwall. (WHY?!) I wasn't happy at where my council tax was going I can tell you!
  • Options
    I'm currently a Sidcup resident - not sure for how much longer but really grown to like it in the couple of years I've spent living there. Pubwise - I like the Portrait for the scenery! I'd be up for a Sidcup Charltonlifers drink.

I also think Sidcup has the best collection of curry houses around, Sulatana, Cinnamon and the one opposite the Portrait are all great (Sultana the best though)

Always chavs hanging around outside Tesco though, so no great surprise there's been some trouble there tonight....
  • Options
    you missed the jalsha off your list of curries, was up in the high street, now down by lamorby, every xmas about 25 of my mates get together for an xmas curry and make a complete mess of it in there. surprised they let us do it, but great grub!
  • Options
    Surely you cant miss "Sweet Lemon" off the list.
    Sounds like plans are being made, but someone needs to put their foot down and throw a definite date into the fold.
    What about we all take a nice trip to reading away on the 18th nov, head back to siddy,down a few beers and a curry and then wind our ways back home dodging chavs trying to break into Tescos ??
  • Options
    i've never met anyone thats been in there!!
  • Options
    [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]i've never met anyone thats been in there!!

I have as its just at the top of the road but to be honest would rather drive to the High St or get a takeaway from the Gulshan on Fiveways. Wasnt overly impressed
  • Options
    [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]i've never met anyone thats been in there!!

you have !

current favourite of mine. Nince little restaurant, cosy, nice people, foods great and very reasonably priced. Would recommend.
  • Options
    I've been in there. Can't say I was overly impressed with the food - although it wasn;'t bad. Agree with the "cosy" comment though, and also the staff in there seemed friendly.

My mate asked for the hottest thing they could do and the waiter asked him three or four times if he was sure because, "that is very very hot, sir". When they served it up they were all hanging round watching him eat it, even the fella came out of the kitchen on some spurious pretence to see how he was coping. Thing is he lives with an Indian girl and doesn't eat anything "cooler" than a phal these days - he cleaned the lot up and even wiped round the bowl with his naan, to much astonishment from the fellas. At one point I thought they were gonna give him a round of applause!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]The Plough is the one on Lewisham Road next to the railway bridge which is now a really iffy sports bar (and had a bowling lane), the Anchor is the grubby one the other side of the railway bridge at the bottom of Lewisham Hill, think it's Irish but have only been in there once.

There was also yet another pub by the other railway bridge on Loampit Vale, right where the DLR station is now... the Man of Kent?

What makes me laugh about Lewisham is that it's been redeveloped dramatically over the past 10 years or so... and now they want to redevelop it again!

Meanwhile, I think one of the lamp posts in Sidcup got repainted a few years ago ;-)

When .. where !!!!!1
  • Options
    thats why we need suburban curtain twitchers....to note this kind of thing down! :-)
  • Options
    Are you volunteering Suze?