Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Delia is back, how good a cook are you?

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Delia is coming back to the big screen with a new series.

What is your speciality and who is your favourite tv chef,what would you prepare for that special moment.

Comments

• I am a bit of a self-proclaimed genius in the kitchen! I have worked in the food business all my working life mind you. My last product I designed before i crossed the ocean was a few of the Taste The Difference breads at Sainsburys.

I like Nigel Slater, Bill Granger & my one true celebrity friend Jo' Pratt. When it comes to TV celebrity chefs, not that keen on Jamie Oliver although my dislike for him has definitely softened with time, Gordon Ramsey is great entertainment & I have not really paid much attention to Nigella.

I don't really have a special dish, but I can produce awesome thin crust pizzas - the secret is in the way you make yr dough.
  • Hopeless..even toast is beyond me
  • Ramsey is the King...

Beans on Toast is my signature dish..
  • I'm making burgers and wedges tonight for football watching on tv fodder. might put cheese in the middle of the burger so it melts, thats always nice.

I like making my own creations in the kitchen. Last night i made a sauce out of philidelphia, tomato puree, onion, pepperoni and spinach.

I like jamie oliver, but always find the way he cooks things in those big trays a bit unnecessary. not everyone cooks for 12 people and I don't have a random oven in my garden!!!
    I like the people who teach you how to cook easy healthy meals, like those women on that cook yourself thin programme. I also like that cook on "something for the weekend" tho tim lovejoy and that woman with him do my head in.
  • edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I'm making burgers and wedges tonight for football watching on tv fodder. might put cheese in the middle of the burger so it melts, thats always nice.

I've done this before Sooze and called it a cheeseburger
  • edited November 2007
    erm...when you make the mince into a burger shape you push brie, port salut, or any other cheese into the middle of the mince so it cooks with it. smart arse.

learn how to quote properly before you take the piss please :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I'm making burgers and wedges tonight for football watching on tv fodder. might put cheese in the middle of the burger so it melts, thats always nice.

I've done this before Sooze and called it a cheeseburger

erm...when you make the mince into a burger shape you push brie, port salut, or any other cheese into the middle of the mince so it cooks with it. smart arse.

learn how to quote properly before you take the piss please :-)

Oh I see , a posh cheeseburger
  • Basically cheeseburger and chips, but she can fleece Les Says for an extra £4 if its dressed up as brie steak and wedges.....
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Basically cheeseburger and chips, but she can fleece Les Says for an extra £4 if its dressed up as brie steak and wedges.....

indeed, making more mess for him to wash up. :-)
  • How the hell does anyone find the time to 'cook properly' ??

Last night was filled pasta, a cherry tomato sauce and side salad, ten minutes max. If i cooked 'proper dinners', i'd be eating about 9pm every night....
  • Sponsored links:

• My missus in an awesome cook, so I don't indulge much. But my speciality is Piri-Piri chicken on a bed of herby cous-cous.
  • ahhh piri piri..
    i had nando's on saturday night.. extra hot piri piri on it...
    heaven!!
  • Ramsey is my absolute hero, so much respect for the man its unbelievable. I cook and love doing so, i'll play about making things up all the time but wouldn't say I have an all out signature dish. But like AFKA says I do end up eating quite late most night because of it.
  • Living on my own I cook every night and probably more than is healthy for a young, free and single alpha male. However this 'cooking' very rarely goes further than a spaghetti bolognese or chicken kievs etc.

I would love to do proper home cooked meals every night though even if it meant eating later.
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]
    Beans on Toast is my signature dish..

Same as.

If I'm feeling adventurous sometimes I grate some cheddar on top - and have even been known to add a dollop or two of Branston.
  • Can cook, but usually no time in the evenings, so try and cook at weekend and then freeze whatever I can to eat throughout the week....re: AFKA (cos I can't quote) I rarely get to eat before 9pm :-(
  • Remembering back to my single days (long long ago, when they thought the world was flat...) is it can be expensive when you live on your own Carts, not everything can keep for a second days meal, although I used to cook a proper dinner about three times a week, it would often just be a pork chop, mash and peas...
  • My other half is an awsome cook, if he didn't cook i wouldn't eat. He refuses to let me anywhere near the kicthen i can burn pretty much anything! :-)
  • edited November 2007
    I like the Aussie chef Bill Granger, never cook much myself though as don't have the time. Mostly just chicken with salad or chips if I'm feeling unhealthy. I can actually cook stuff though and am planning on doing home made chocolates and cookies as Christmas presents.

Kigelia makes fantastic toad-in-the-hole!
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Remembering back to my single days (long long ago, when they thought the world was flat...) is it can be expensive when you live on your own Carts, not everything can keep for a second days meal, although I used to cook a proper dinner about three times a week, it would often just be a pork chop, mash and peas...

Hit the nail on the head there mate, If I do a bolognese sauce that will last for about a week in the fridge but other than that, shops don't tend to provide too much in the way of options for a single man other than microwave meals. I'll do a steak every now and then but salad and vegetables just don't keep for long.

I will be having a bash at fajitas in the near future as they seem to be in favour down Asda at the minute!
  • Sponsored links:

• Keith Floyd = Legendary chef and piss head God bless him.
  • Agree with the above about Gordon Ramsey- think he is amazing,

I'd also throw Rick Stein's name into the frame. Brilliant- so passionate and a few of my friends have done his course and have come away gob-smacked

I'm pretty good i'd say, but i've lost a fair bit of passion about cooking since moving from my house with a 6 hob, 3 oven range cooker to a poxy little electric hob in my flat! :-(

Still always cook but tend to do so in bulk and freeze. Therefore i have good quality healthy food that i like every evening and cook only a couple of times a week, other than allowing to thaw during the day and reheating it to eat.
  • I had dinner at rick steins resturant in Padstow
    thought it was soooo over-rated! & the waiting list is months!
  • [cite]Posted By: carlingaddick[/cite]I had dinner at rick steins resturant in Padstow
    thought it was soooo over-rated! & the waiting list is months!
    i had dinner at Claridges and thought exactly the same thing!
  • I do a decent Stir Fry and I'm not bad at Shepards Pie (nothing too taxing here)

Ramsey is king, we should all bow down to his majesty.