Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One possible plus? Home nations...

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]ROI

They are not a home nation and have nothing to do with Britain

British Lions?

Its the Britisn and Irish Lions..
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Already done that one mate
  • Options
    Great minds and all that...:-)
  • Options
    Absolutely, minds anyway not sure about the great bit!! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]For the first time since 1984, the home nations of England, Scotland, RoI, Northern Ireland and Wales have all failed to qualify. Will be see a home nations tournament in the summer?

Don't know where you went to school but ROI isn't a home nation. As foreign as France or Germany..

Thought you might pipe up... just surprised it took so long! ;-)
  • Options
    Lol.....was busy yesterday...
  • Options
    Not a particular big fan of this idea, playing teams like Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland will not improve this English team at all. Friendlies & that's all they will be at the end of the day are meaningless & will have no positive impact on our current National side.

Don't get me wrong I'd still go to all the games if it did happen, I just do not see any real benefit for the National team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Not a particular big fan of this idea, playing teams like Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland will not improve this English team at all. Friendlies & that's all they will be at the end of the day are meaningless & will have no positive impact on our current National side.

Don't get me wrong I'd still go to all the games if it did happen, I just do not see any real benefit for the National team.

It is to benefit us you misery-guts! Something they failed to do on Wednesday. That last sentence is just the kind of "we are above this" trite that has blighted our national team for too long. Sorry, but I think that is true.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Perhaps that is our level now I don't know, but we all whine when England play 'Meaningless Friendlies' would that not be exactly the same thing but renamed the Keltic Cup ?
  • Options
    yes and the sponsors would love it too, mind you it might clash with the Euro's for tv coverage... imagine all the football widows bleating with wall to wall footy on every channel.

:D)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Perhaps that is our level now I don't know, but we all whine when England play 'Meaningless Friendlies' would that not be exactly the same thing but renamed the Keltic Cup ?

We have got to stop talking about levels before they are achieved. If you go out in the semi finals, that is your level, if you fail to qualify for the finals themselves...
  • Options
    god i'd love a home nations - it would get everyone's juices flowing playing for national pride. be brilliant.. be some split loyalties and everything.

Gordon Brown has said its a good idea so hopefully will get the ball rolling...i reckon the police will try and put a stop to it.
  • Options
    Sorry Kets, but your displaying that belief that England are any good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Sorry Kets, but your displaying that belief that England are any good.

Not quite sure where I said England were any good, just expressing a concern re playing games just for the sake of playing games. Isn't there a small matter of taking our time appointing the 'Right Man' first, before signing up for a load of friendlies?
  • Options
    Couldnt we get Iceland, Norway, Finland, Belgium, ROI in too, that might make it a bit less insular?
  • Options
    Revenue is the issue Kets, you'll sell 90k at Wembley for Scotland and Wales, rather then 55k for Finland and Belgium
  • Options
    hey I'm not kets...

;)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]it would get everyone's juices flowing playing for national pride.

Apart from the English, they only seem to play for their pay packet.
  • Options
    Thats true but i really meant from a supporters view.
  • Options
    Right and now imagine we get beat by all the other home nations...We're not going to feel that much better then are we? Leave well alone I say, punish the players for not being good enough. Don't give them a get out clause. I don't mean let them all go on holiday. The f***ers should be forced to watch every game of the tournament and see exactly what they're missing out on. In fact get them together as a squad and put them through a major training regime. F*** Em I say!