Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How did we play at Preston?

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Only watched it on Sky but a few impressions on how the team played:

Sam Sodje & Mills immense today. Good saves by Weaver.

Fortune quick on his feet & Basey did well, got up and down the flanks, good blocks, good crossing, you'd never think it was only his 5th match.

Samedo - good positional play, intercepting and mostly found a red shirt with his passing. ZZ always in the thick of it, Reidy didn't appear so influential today. JT superb in the 1st half but well policed in the 2nd.

Big Chris a bit isolated 2nd half but took a battering. Sam promised but didn't really deliver but still a handful for Preston Both Ends.

Holland didn't look match fit when he came on but Ambrose was calm, composed and good distribution - looked a good player especially when he covered in centre mid after Reidy was subbed.

And a big hand for the Awayday Addicks - 2nd half especially you could hear them. Red Army!

A good days work. Back to 2nd place, 5 points behind Watford.

Comments

• Options
    Two goals, three points, commanded the game another clean sheet, so it seems the back four/five are gelling - sounded like a professional job was done away from home.

My only quibble being that we have to get a few more goals and kill the game off, 2-0 looks convincing, but the second goal didn't come until the 93rd minute, and that always leaves the door open for a late equaliser.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pretty fair summary Oggy - I watched it on Sky as well. I would add that Big Chris kept getting stuck in and flicked the ball on for Varney to run on and score.

Coming after the International break and with PNE having a new manager, this was a potential banana skin game. With pretty much all the results going for us, this was a very big result.

Well done everyone who went and got behind the lads.

Come on you Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Just said this on the email list, but I thought the back 5 were excellent today. Weaver pulled off some great saves, Basey and Mills both great going forward and Sodje and Fortune are creating a great partnership. 4 clean sheets in a row speaks volumes.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I watched it in my living room plus wife, kids and one Guinea Pig.

They were all hero's especially ZZ and Weaver.

Just about to have my fourteenth cup of coffee!!

Can't see me getting a goodnight. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well Preston didn't really have the quality to impress their new manager.We created chances without our main players actually playing that well. i.e Reid and Iwelumo.

Varney scoring for me is a highlight, hopefully he will push on now.

What, if any chants could be heard on the tv?

I vow never to do a coach journey again this season, painful to say the least! Tannoy message at the end was all a lie, there was no hold up or major traffic accident on the M6.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks to Oggy I watched it online - my thoughts here:
    http://www.chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexleyheath_Red[/cite]Well Preston didn't really have the quality to impress their new manager.We created chances without our main players actually playing that well. i.e Reid and Iwelumo.

Varney scoring for me is a highlight, hopefully he will push on now.

What, if any chants could be heard on the tv?

I vow never to do a coach journey again this season, painful to say the least! Tannoy message at the end was all a lie, there was no hold up or major traffic accident on the M6.

Fair play to you boys, I'd have loved to go but had to work and I'm brassic and I'm sure I should have more money than you!! ;-)

Heard Valley floyd road, you're grounds too big for you, and at least one 'OH SOUTH LONDON'!

You done well mate and put the rest of us plastics to shame
  • Options
    hope you heard us through the telly as happy as we felt!

weaver was awesome, 3 top saves to get us another clean sheat and varney beasted his goal at the end - hope he takes that confidence with him. sodje a rock as ever and mills was class, another 3 points... we are going up!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    To be honest the atmosphere there sounded appauling. Heard the odd VFR and Yippie I a etc.

In terms of our performance I thought we were pretty professional and looked the better side by a mile but we do need to kill games against inferior opposition sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL - just finished watching it too eh Vancouver? I fell asleep in the last 10 mins - woke up to hear a goal, & thought for one horrible moment they'd equalized!!
  • Options
    Indeed Oakster - glad we got the result in the end, Weaver saved us a couple of times there.

It was strange avoiding the internet deliberately all day TBH.
  • Options
    strange & a pain

also had to screen all phone calls & avoid certain mates around town!!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yep phone was off and luckily my lot here are a bunch of plastics and thus wouldn't know what the championship is.

Let's just hope the time for the west brom game is better...
  • Options
    Thomas had a cracking first half untill they regrouped at half time and completely stiffled him in the second half. He will need to address this because a lot of teams are surely due to man mark him. Andy Reid seemed to run out of energy in the second, therefore it was nice to see a manager change things when he did (rather than that ginger tosser Wednesday). My MOM would go to Basey. He is looking very assured considering the amount of time he has played in the side.
  • Options
    It was very much a team effort with everyone playing their part, if I want to picky I'd say that Reid was a little off the pace but the others covered for him, Weaver was put under a lot of pressure and had one dodgy moment which was more than made up for by his excellent saves and mighty punches of the ball away from danger.
    On a personal note it's the first time the Lass & I have watched Charlton win for about 18 months as Charlton's record in the NW has been pretty poor an d we seem to pick the wrong games (Barnsley) to watch at the Valley!.
  • Options
    Agree about Thomas having a cracking first half but most of this was not where it really hurts - in or around their penalty area. Also woeful is his crossing. But saying this I would still have him in the first team.

Solid performance all round and we were far the better team.

Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    I agree that a lack of end product is still the biggest frustration with JT.

At Preston, his 1st half running with the ball cutting diagonally right through their central midfield completely unnerved them. They had no answer except to try & crowd him which created acres of space for Basey & ZZ to exploit.

But he did create the first goal by taking the ball to the byeline and squeezing his cross from behind the defence.
    Penetration like that is so hard to defend and creates good chances easily. I know he's right footed but even so, why doesn't he get to the byeline more often?

In the 2nd half, JT was well policed - boxed into a narrow touchline channel always 2 & sometimes 3 defenders on him and no space for mazy runs. That created right-midfield & wing space for the overlapping Mills & Sam - which we should have used more productively before Varney showed how it could be done.
  • Options
    Agree with Oggy summing up.

Reid not playing that well was a big bonus for me. Shows we are not totally reliant on him. Anyone asking what ZZ does for the team now

I thought Fortune looked very good and the partnership with Sodje just keeps getting better.

Not a great game but we were always on top and in the end it was a comfortable and professional away trip. One booking, no injuries that I saw, two goals from people we want to see on the scoresheet more often.

Is that our first away win in the North West since Anfield?
  • Options
    Good on you Lancashire. What is your next game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy excellent summary.

All I would add ,was that it was bloody freezing and was mostly pis*ing down before the game.

Raining again this morning (stayed overnight). Weather changed once we got about 50 miles South.

By eck it's grim oop North.
  • Options
    Great result but some disappointments for me:-
    2nd half they pushed up to the halfway line and camped in our half - we should have had someone with pace upfront say Sam and played it over the top, because it kept coming straight back from Chris.
    Holland came off the bench, has automatically leapfrogged Moo2 and Racon - not sure what he can offer to the side apart from "experience". He is woefully slow, doesn't tackle or carry the ball forward and rarely makes a forward pass.
    But great show from the defence, perhaps Thatcher might go in the window because he is likely to be 2nd choice.
  • Options
    Hi Chicago, enjoy your blog

Might get down to West Brow , if not Sheffield in Feb.