Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

transfer window - which players needed ?

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Another great performace & another win........but just how far can theses players take us?

In January should we be looking at players to get us out of this division or players to keep us in the Prem (assuming we go up). My greatest fear is that we will go up this season and then have to spend sheds loads of money trying to keep us there next year. How many of this current squad are realistically good enough for a FULL premiership season - not just bits and pieces?

The back 5 (minus Basey?) and the midfield 4 of Reidy,Semedo ,Thomas and ZZ. Sam to me has yet to prove himself and the forwards would be lucky to score handful bwetween in the top division. Just llok at Sunderland and Derby. Steve Howard hasn't scored yet and Sunderlands front line aren't excatly pulling up trees.

Im not being negative - just trying to think things thrtough before Jan 1st is upon us. No point in bringing in bodies and then having to replace them in 6 months time. I'm sure Pards and the Board have thought about this, so who should we be going for ??

Comments

• Options
    I take your point, Golfie - but if I were Pards, I'd build a side to be the best in the Championship to ensure we go up.
    And that's what he's already doing.

It's not the time at the moment to build a Prem quality side, we have to get there first.

That's when the budgets change and the club can attract a better quality of player to supplement the best of what we already have.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Should our priority be staying up at all costs or building a younger team of ex youth players and the cream of the championship? If we have a reputation for giving young talent a chance we'd find players would want to come for us rather than sitting on benches elsewhere, if they're not good enough to stay up then the experience will set them up for the Championship the following year. We will have dodged a financial bullet if we go up this season, if we then spunk it all on the Faye's of this world again will we be so lucky next time we go down?

S.
  • Options
    EARNSHAW
    SIDWELL
    FLEETWOOD
    HYYPIA [ IN THE SUMMER]
    HREIDARSSON , TAYLOR OR NUGENT
    SONG , ON LOAN

OUTS
    J T
    AMBROSE
  • Options
    That's harsh on Sam in my opinion. I think he's been one of our best players this season, our best moves always seem to have him involved. He's massively talented. Although I've noticed over the years that charlton fans always seem unhappy with wingers.

Moving in to the premiership I think we'll definitely need a lot more quality at centre-back and up-front.
  • Options
    GA ones mans realist is another mans pessimist. I agree with Oggy. Build a team to get us up first. Then worry about the Prem if we make it. Some players are capable of taking a step up, others aren't. Its difficult to pick em from the existing playing staff now, apart from the obvious ones like Reidy. What is certain is that we will need to spend big in the summer should it happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Another great performace & another win........but just how far can theses players take us?

Why does there ALWAYS have to be a "but" with you? Why can't you just enjoy the fact that we've now won four on the spin and haven't conceeded - at least for 24 bloody hours, before you start getting all bleedin morbid!

"I'm not being negative" you say. Sorry Golfie, but even your "positive" posts - of which this was one - are tinged with fault finding and raw pessimism. Lighten up fella ffs, lifes to bloody short. Enjoy it while you can!!!
  • Options
    Sorry Golfie this club cannot afford to splash out on trying to go up and signing players on contracts not sustainable in the Championship only to fail.We have to ensure Premiership football and the increased tv revenue that goes with it prior to signin higher earning players.Better to have a club in the Championship than NO club at all.dont be fooled Golfie I think we could be in big finanacial difficulty with the present squad should we not go up let alone any higher earning player.
  • Options
    "Another great performance" Tell us more Golfie. Which were the other great performances as I must have missed you saying that before and why? Which players and tactice were "great". C'mon I'd really like to hear you praise the team without any buts or maybes for once.

As for buying for now and for the future hopefully a bit of both. Moutakill, Varney, McLeod, Racon are all young. Some or all of them will be good enough for the Prem or maybe not. We shall see.

What we do have to do is get players who will get us out of this league. Otherwise anything else is pointless.
  • Options
    common Henners McCleod you've been at the Sherry again!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]common Henners McCleod you've been at the Sherry again!!

Red Wine NSS. I knew I'd get a reaction if I mentioned his name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For now, Id buy Mills and Sodje, and perhaps sign another forward and centre half cover....that'll do to get us there or there abouts
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]For now, Id buy Mills and Sodje, and perhaps sign another forward and centre half cover....that'll do to get us there or there abouts

Bang on Tel, we need a back-up for Big Chris and for Sodje in case either of them get injured.

Our spine is crucial and Weaver - Sodje - Semedo - Iwelumo are critical to our success.
  • Options
    Id just add Mills to that crucial spine mate, he's been awesome in my books every time Ive seen him play
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, I think we could go up with this team, assuming we keep the loanees. Might want to add another winger though. Look for a decent CM for next year though, at least.
  • Options
    Just had a thought...how about rescueing Linvoy Primus from Pompey reserves?......snap up Nugent whislt we are at it...
    :-)
  • Options
    Thinking WELL ahead of what I should be and IF we go up and it's still a very big if. Players like Nugent, Darren Bent (remember him) could be excellent and just what we need especially if they are both still nurturing splintered arses.
  • Options
    I'd rather wait and see who doesn't go up and see if there are any bargains to be had from WBA, Wolves, etc (assuming that it is us and Watford who go straight up).

That we got Racon and Moutilakill tells me that like someone after a Nintedo Wii we'll be shopping abroad to get a decent price.
  • Options
    Anyone who has posted signing Mills & Sodje is not far wide of the mark in my opinion, already part of the squad & performing well. Sometimes signing for the sake of signing can completely unbalance a squad. Don't think we need any more to compete at the top at this level.
  • Options
    in my opinion I'd be happy if we signed another striker in January in case of injuries etc. The rest of the squad has strength in depth and I don't see any squad in this division better than ours. Maybe another loaneee from the Prem would be ideal.
  • Options
    Agreed with most, I don't think we need to go mad in January I think we have the best squad in the league. I'd add Mills in January and Sodje will probably follow in the summer. I'd be tempted to try and pick up a striker on Loan as cover for Big Chris, but I wouldn't go out for permanent deals really because the quality we're likely to be able to attract now might not match what we already have plus what we'll need in the summer IF all goes well and we get promoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need another striker - having Iwulemo, Varney and Mcleod leaves us a bit light in case of injury. There's only Dickson to come in...

Otherwise, cover at left back if Powell/Thatcher have a re-occurence of their injuries and maybe an experienced CB. If anything I can see one or two players going - Ambrose, Holland aren't getting regular starts.
  • Options
    But it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions (only the Lord knows how many pointless bookings we've had) before Ambrose & Holland start regularly.

I believe we will see a lot of those two through the season.
  • Options
    I'd still like to see a central midfielder come in to be honest. I think we have a few options when it comes to ball players but are lacking a real ball winner in there. Samedo does a good job of keeping possession and sweeping up but I still wouldn't class him as a ball winner and I think if we had a Parker or kinsella type character in there that would free us up to go 4-4-2 as we wouldn't need the extra man in the middle of the park. Big problem is, who? I just can't think of any that are of the quality we need and would feasibly come to us.

I'd also like to see centre half cover and another striking option.
  • Options
    i think pards should get someone like nugent in on loan say to him you have half a season to have a go if you impress we will sign you in the summer if we go up. That way we could have a proven championship scoring banging them in this year who now feels loved and wanted again is high on confidence ready hit the top the top flight a go again if we go up and sign him with a a manger who wants and rates him.
  • Options
    Nugent wont be goin anywhere due to African nations cup which will leave pompey well depleated
  • Options
    Mills and Sodje, remember this two are only on loan until Christmas so the club has to find the money to buy their contracts. That is if their clubs willing to let them go, and I doubt they will be cheap so that will effect what is left to spend.
  • Options
    sodje's on a season long loan
  • Options
    Clause saying Sodje can be recalled by Reading in January.

I don't believe they will, tho. More likely he'll sign permanently.
  • Options
    Tel - Primus is not available, mate. He has got a busted knee and is seeking overseas medical help to save his career. Mind you, even on crutches he would be no worse than your mate McCarthy!!!

Nugent might be available in January seeing as Redknapp does not seem to rate him although he might want to keep him for when the rest of their strikers are at the African Champs.