Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bored of Blackfen - total football...

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Remember the play-off year and the championship winning year?

We were playing that kind of exciting football, that I don't recall since except perhaps that pinnacle year in the Prem before Parker left, and that good Murphy/Smertin/Bent start to the season.

I guess my point is that this years football isn't pretty to watch despite my expectations - which due to the team reconstruction is probably quite understandable. How many corkers have you seen this season regardless of result? I count 2 at most.

Say we do go straight back up, its back to boring keep us up at all costs football, which is what I hated about the premiership.

The question I ask myself is do I really want to spend out season after season unentertaining football (except perhaps next season)? Or am I asking the wrong question?

R)

Comments

• Options
    Bored of Blackfen? Not surprised, there's precious litte to do there!

I've said on here many times that I was unhappy with the brand of football we played at the end of Curbishley's tenure but think you're quite harsh to tar this season's football with the same brush. We've put together a few really nice sections of games, it's the consistency and the ability to do that for whole games that's been missing and I think that that is what comes as a result of the team being so newly assembled.

I think once the first 11 settles (as it now starting to happen) is when we'll really see the kind of football that they're capable of - I also expect us to go back to a 4-4-2 in the not too distant future where I'd like to see Varney given a go at playing off of Iwelumo.
  • Options
    We won 12 games on the spin losing the the 13th at home to swindon, who at the time were rock bottom and hadnt won a game away, i think this season is more business like , and like the season we went up as champions. We will go as champions this seasons and do it by winning games rather than relying on teams dropping points,
  • Options
    Go to the cinema if you want entertainment.

Seriously, last 4 games, scored 7, conceded 0, 12 points in the bank, and still people complain about style. There was no lack of style in the first half on Saturday, no lack of style against Cardiff, and we deserved more goals for our performances at Southampton and Bristol City
  • Options
    I'd like to see us being as dominant as Manu Arse or Chelski, that way we'd stand a chance if we went up, but I'm willing to admit I'm being unrealistic given the reconstruction job needed
  • Options
    Mama said there'd be threads like these!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I'd like to see us being as dominant as Manu Arse or Chelski, that way we'd stand a chance if we went up, but I'm willing to admit I'm being unrealistic given the reconstruction job needed

Cracks are beginning to show in the multi millionaire takeover game.Just look at Chelsea and now Liverpool.Power mad money men fighting tooth and nail with power mad football men.It's all going to end in tears i tell you,and little old clubs like Charlton are going to be in a great position once all the money has gone.Hang on in there. ;-)
  • Options
    Surely you only beat what's in front of you, don't think the pretty football reigns in this division, although saying that at least we do pass the ball as well as hump it long. Some teams seem content with humping it long & kicking the bejesus out of the opposition.
  • Options
    or perhaps we aint got the personnel?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I'd like to see us being as dominant as Manu Arse or Chelski, that way we'd stand a chance if we went up, but I'm willing to admit I'm being unrealistic given the reconstruction job needed

Cracks are beginning to show in the multi millionaire takeover game.Just look at Chelsea and now Liverpool.Power mad money men fighting tooth and nail with power mad football men.It's all going to end in tears i tell you,and little old clubs like Charlton are going to be in a great position once all the money has gone.Hang on in there. ;-)

True...I can see a time when players will want to play for the second rank clubs like Charlton rather than be wheeled on for one game in every two/three.

Chelsea seem to be internally self-destructing, while Benitez is rapidly talking himself out of a job and what have their owners got in common? They know little about football, but lots about making money. That's not necessarily a good combination. To be fair I'm impressed with the way that Man u's owners have done things since they took over, they may have saddled Man U with debt and that might be a problem, but I haven't a sniff about blocking any transfer targets or insisting that certain players be bought, or even buying players for the club that the manager didn't want - which allegedly is why Michael Ballack and Shevchenko are at Chelsea.

Charlton are a well run club and if we can get promoted a graft on one or two players then as the squad matures a little we could be a decent team in the Premiership again.
  • Options
    True...I can see a time when players will want to play for the second rank clubs like Charlton rather than be wheeled on for one game in every two/three. [QUOTE]

Bang on, BFR. I reckon that the new England manager should make it clear to players that if they are only getting a bench spot for their clubs then they will get a bench spot, at best, for England and that he will only pick players who are in their clubs first eleven.

Ridiculous, that Crouch goes from leading the line for England to being an unused sub for Liverpool and the same goes for Bent and Defoe as well, both should be starting every week for their clubs and the same goes for Bridge as well, he should not be at Chelsea.

If we saw a stronger emphasis on starting for your club then players might re-consider whether joining the big four was the best thing for their career.