Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's Best & Worst Ever Foreign Team

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
Excluding players born in the UK, Ireland, grew up in the UK (Euell/Lisbie/Grant) & to British parents abroad (Mr J Robinson for example)

I venture forward with:

(Best)

Ilic

Moutakil (Can't think of any other RBs)
Costa
Fish
Hreidarsson

ZZ
Jensen
Samedo
JJ

Di Canio
Bartlett

(Worst - I know there were some obscure horrors from the early 90s)

Andersen

Kishishev (as a RB)
El Khalej
El Karkouri
Traore

Bagheri
Pouso
Faye
Blomqvist

Svensson
Hasselbaink

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Tom Hovi for Kish in the worst team and arguably Diawara for El Karkouri.

El K did do SOME good things for us back in 2004/5 especially.
  • Options
    I never saw Simonsen play -would he fit into the best team based on his CAFC appearances?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I never saw Simonsen play -would he fit into the best team based on his CAFC appearances?

Yes he was a class above. Trouble is, looking at your team, I'm not sure who to drop!

JJ I think.
  • Options
    Looking at the worst team Jacobsen and Ostergaard must be contenders.

I'd drop Svensson for Ostergaard and perhaps Faye for Jacobsen (that's how bad he was!)
  • Options
    Simmo in the best team and Hans Jepson. Also Eddie Firmani, Stuart Leary and a lot of other South Africans. Also Cory Gibbs should be in the best team : - )

Worst Diawara ahead of TEK and would have put Petterson in instead of Andersen though neither were bad keepers IMHO

Spector in for Kish who should be a least on the bench for the best team

Good thread idea Oakster
  • Options
    I also couldn't decide whether to include Martin Pringle in the best or worst team - at times he was outstanding & others appalling!
  • Options
    I'd rather find a place for Rommedahl in the worst rather than Svensson? Surely Kish in midfield is better than Semedo (with all his potential)? Surely Spector was worse as a RB than Kish? Surely Magic (at his current level) is worse than Elk? Or have I missed the point?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I never saw Simonsen play -would he fit into the best team based on his CAFC appearances?

Yes he was a class above. Trouble is, looking at your team, I'm not sure who to drop!

JJ I think.

Simmo would walk into an all-time inter-galactic XI! Di Canio's performances for us weren't a patch on Simmo's.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd rather find a place for Rommedahl in the worst rather than Svensson? Surely Kish in midfield is better than Semedo (with all his potential)? Surely Spector was worse as a RB than Kish? Surely Magic (at his current level) is worse than Elk? Or have I missed the point?[/quote]

Not at all - my XI's were just to get the thread started!

Maybe we can come up with a definitive version at the end of the thread!
  • Options
    What about Dietmar Bruck as full back in worst team? Jacobsen was totally diabolical and worse than Ostergaard. I'd drop Pouso for Jacobsen cos Faye has to stay in!!

Paul Rabatcha (spelling) worse 'keeper than Andersen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I also couldn't decide whether to include Martin Pringle in the best or worst team - at times he was outstanding & others appalling!

I suspect that means he should be in neither?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]What about Dietmar Bruck as full back in worst team? Jacobsen was totally diabolical and worse than Ostergaard. I'd drop Pouso for Jacobsen cos Faye has to stay in!!

Paul Rabatcha (spelling) worse 'keeper than Andersen.

Saved a pen from jason Euell on Saturday did Paul R.
  • Options
    Rachuba wasn't it?
  • Options
    Loads to consider, i suspect the best team will look unrecognisable from Oakster's original one come the end.

Lets try and get the best team out the way first.

Has anyone got an argument against a front pairing of:

Eddie Firmani - 89 goals in 177 games
    Stuart Leary - 163 goals in 403 games

????

Simonsen is a definate, his quality wins over the lack of games he played for us, but he can be played out wide, or 'in the hole'
  • Options
    Hans Jepsen has to be in

Only played 11 games but scored 9 goals and all in a struggling side in the top flight including a hat trick in a 5-2 win at Highbury.

He went on to score 81 goals in 158 goals in the ultra defensive Italian Serie A for Atalanta, Napoli and Torino.

Played for Sweden as well and I think may have played in the 58 world cup final.

Leary I never saw play but Jepson and Firmani both scored in the top flight and in Italy.

Firmani would also be the overseas Manager
  • Options
    Jeppson was outstanding. He became a cult like figure during his brief time at the Valley, and I believe at that time he was an amateur.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Hans Jepsen has to be in

Only played 11 games but scored 9 goals and all in a struggling side in the top flight including a hat trick in a 5-2 win at Highbury.

He went on to score 81 goals in 158 goals in the ultra defensive Italian Serie A for Atalanta, Napoli and Torino.

Played for Sweden as well and I think may have played in the 58 world cup final.

Leary I never saw play but Jepson and Firmani both scored in the top flight and in Italy.

Firmani would also be the overseas Manager

Just a point of order.

Are we basing this on whether the player was a great one or the amount of service given to the Addicks?

We would all have Simonsen and Jeppson in as great players but what about them v Firmani and Leary given the latters length of service/goals?

I hope this makes sense.
  • Options
    Got to be a bit of a balancing act of the two Bin i reckon, though weighted towards service.

Like if you was doing an overall great team, you wouldn't include John Barnes.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I would say mainly service in a Charlton shirt - I mean Hasselbaink was a great player in his time but by the time he got to us he was well, well past it!

Would also be interesting to select a greatest ever Charlton "English team" to play against our foreigners.
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani & simosen would be good for me,i remember queing up to get in the covered end to watch alan simonsen play,was fantatic as a young lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2007
    This link might help especially with the South Africans:

A list of Charlton players over the years including nationalities (not definitive)

Sid O'Linn was on the clubs shortlist at centenary for greatest overseas player. He too was a very good cricketer.

My Grandad bangs on about a South African goalie just after Bartram - I can't remember his name though.

It's hard to do this when you haven't seen all the players but great idea Oakster as we get to learn even more about the clubs history.

As for worst you're spot on with "we all dream of a team of El Kahalej, a team of El Khalej...."
  • Options
    Andy Petterson has to be a worse goalkeeper than Andersen. You could even throw in Mike Amman into the equation.
  • Options
    I started reading this until I saw the line...

'Surely Kish in midfield is better than Semedo'

...and I thought it was a joke thread !
  • Options
    The goalkeeper you seek Vancouver Addick is Albert Uytenbogaardt who starred in 6 league matches between 1948 and 1953. He was HUGE. He also scored a goal from a clearance. Probably our best foreign keeper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]I started reading this until I saw the line...

'Surely Kish in midfield is better than Semedo'

...and I thought it was a joke thread !

Its all about opinions. Semedo has played a handful of games in midfield in the 2nd Tier. Kish played for several seasons in the Top Tier. Our best football for years came when we had a midfield which included Kish, Smertin and Murphy. Kish's workrate was amazing. I hope that Semedo will become a better player than Kish for us but he ain't there yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: daveroan[/cite]The goalkeeper you seek Vancouver Addick is Albert Uytenbogaardt who starred in 6 league matches between 1948 and 1953. He was HUGE. He also scored a goal from a clearance. Probably our best foreign keeper.

My old Dad says they used to call him 'Umpty Go-kart'.
  • Options
    I have never seen a more classier act playing for the Addicks/Robins/Valiants than Alan Simonesen, although would reconsider if I took into account George Best when he played one half for us against Arsenal in a friendly.