Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Manager - Likely Candidates

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think they tried Gerrard on the right before and it wasn't all that productive..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]they could play together because they are both good players. What is needed is a strong manager to tell them exactly what their roles are in the team, and the difference between both roles. If the player fails to adapt to his alloted role then he risks losing his place. Personally i'd hold Gerrard, protect the back four, with a tendancy to push him right if the winger pushes on, and give lampard the freedom to play the role he does so successfully at Chelsea.
    You can't ask them to play both their natural games, so something has to give. For me it should be Gerrard because i think he is more adaptable and Lampard is proved to score more from that position.

What you are saying is absolutely right and makes my point. A strong manager like Mourinho would have sorted this out and will do if appointed.

Maybe Cappello can as well, and I would be happy to see him appointed if we can't get either Mourinho or O'Neil.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    I'm all for Capello, I've never given a stuff about the manager needing to be English, and he'll learn English in time for next years qualifiers. You go with the best man available and he's it.

I accept that he has great experience and has been very successful at a club level. I just wonder if he is moving too far outside his comfort zone.

Fortunately for England, I don't get a say in the appointment, and I hope that they have finally developed the right skills matrix to assess each candidate so that the best is appointed, unlike the last serveral managers. Take Eriksson for example, he was a definite candidate but seems to have been head-hunted mainly by David Dein to avoid the FA coming after Wenger. McLaren was appointed on the basis that he was English and nobody's first choice.
  • Options

& Does not speak a single word of English ?[/quote]

So what? The players don't either.

The other option is Scolari.

International football is about being defensive, but also playing a slower more deliberate game, ball retention and first touch are more important skills than pace and playing at a high tempo. Discipline tells - which is why Gerrard is a shadow of the player he is at Liverpool, too often he goes out of position or tries to hit killing through balls when simple is best. At Liverpool he gets away with it - as a team they generally see more possession and he soon gets the ball back, at international level you can't afford to waste possession in the way he does.

What's also needed is an ability is an ability to motivate the players, not wishing to go over old ground again, but too many of the players seem afraid to put themselves out for England.

A strong character is needed - Mourinho, Scolari or Capello would fit the bill. Although AFKA makes the point that Mourinho selects players to fit his style there are plenty in England that can substitute - Hargreaves can do the defensive midfielder role, Rooney can play in Drogba's role as a striker who plays deep and Mourinho after all got the best out of Lampard.
  • Options
    The press have talked up every coach from Mourinho to Capello, although on the face of it every single one is an improvement on McLaren. For me though choosing a guy that does not speak the lingo is not a very good choice, too much gets lost in translation.

Ask anyone that has actually managed a side before, they have a hard enough time getting their point across when the team speaks the same language. No I am not being Racist before anyone starts, the press slaughtered Sven for not being passionate enough but he spoke the lingo at least. The England coach as a pre-requisite should at least SPEAK english.
  • Options
    He speaks better English then he leads on, and will probably learn the language totally by the game against the Swiss.
  • Options
    Capello now clear favourite apparently.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]The press have talked up every coach from Mourinho to Capello

Except Mike Bassett :)
  • Options
    Mourinho, as i feared, was playing the press all along.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the article Rothko - The quote about Di Canio almost made me spit out my morning coffee.

As for the language thing I see do see what you're saying Ketman but first things first I want a winner - Capello is a winner, he is also intelligent enough to learn the language pretty damn quick I'm sure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]Thanks for the article Rothko - The quote about Di Canio almost made me spit out my morning coffee.

Di Canio quote is quality lol
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    “Capello is devoted to himself.” – an Italian journalist

"He hardly has any friends, he is phenomenally wealthy and he is a very hard man. Imagine José Mourinho on steroids.”

This made me laugh. Maybe this is just what our pampered professionals need.

We have had in recent times

Uncle Bobby
    Gormless Graham
    Wide boy Tel
    Saint Goddle
    Cheeky Kev
    Smooth-Iced Sven
    and Stupid Steve

Perhaps now is time for Don Corleone?