Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat Roofs.

edited November 2007 in Not Sports Related
Anyone know anything about flat roofs? My new place needs felt and insulation put down. I'm looking online to get a couple of quotes but you hear that it can be a bit wild west with some of these companies. Anyway if you know a reliable roofer for south London i'd appeciate it.

Thx.

S.

Comments

• Options
    Quite funny Santa Claus asking at roofs this time of year ....
  • Options
    Expectin Rain, dear Santa........? :o)
  • Options
    The problems with a flat roof in my experience are

1. They need a tar boiler to seal the felt - serious fire risk. The more cowboy the roofer, the more you should worry
    2. They are notoriously difficult to repair/seal because water does not drain off them so you get "ponding" of water which then finds minute cracks/holes in the seals between the felt sheets and leaks. I had one re-felted somewhile ago. The bloke could not get it to stop leaking. In the end I did a deal with him whereby I had a sloping roof built and he contributed to the costs.
    3. Because of 2. above you need them to give you a guarantee (10 years min). Problem is the more cowboy the firm the less likely they will be around to honour it.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    would you use felt in a flat roof?? Surely that's for slate or tiles only?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]would you use felt in a flat roof?? Surely that's for slate or tiles only?

Its the normal thing for flat roofs. Felt with a mineral finish. I owned a shop with a flat roof and I can assure you it was felt over a timber decking. I also had a house with a flat roof extension which was felted. What you are talking about is felt for under tiling.
  • Options
    3 Layer Torch on felt is quite commonly used on flat roofs. (10 year guarnatee)

There are new products out including single ply membrane which you would be a 15 year guarantee these are usually done with a heat welded gun.

Is there already insulation on your existing flat roof?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i think roofers were discussed before. Henry Irving will be able to help you as he has a friend who is a roofer - he is a north stander - so hopefully you can trust a fellow charlton fan... based in welling - not sure where you are based.
  • Options
    great stuff, trains, home improvement, what's next? Stamps anyone?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]great stuff, trains, home improvement, what's next? Stamps anyone?

Got a mean selection of First Day covers plus my pride and joy - A Stamp from the time of 1966 with "England Winners" embossed on it. Anorak anybody?