Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Let's be honest...

How can any team that loses 4 home games out of 5 realistically expect to be in the hunt for promotion. It's only our away form that is currently keeping us up there. Yet again we were not up to the physical battle today. I know our defence was shocking for the first two & Mills had a brainstorm when conceding the penalty, but it was sad to see us constantly out battled in the midfield & in their penalty area. I am not convinced that we have the sort of players necesary to win what seems to come down to a war every week. You can't berate our players for lack of effort but the physical challenge of this division is something that we have not yet come to terms with.

Comments

• Options
    totally agree Pete,we haven't the heart for this league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]totally agree Pete,we haven't the heart for this league.

I think they have the guts but not the nasty streak that is required to control games in this division. I think it's been our biggest fault since Parker left but we need a box to box battling shitbag, the sort that opposition fans despise. Question is where do you fit him in and does big Al have the cojones to drop either Reid or Zheng Zhi?

And before anyone kicks off I would only drop one of these two to bring in a evil box to box shitbag. (Arter)
  • Options
    Do you think Arter is an evil box to box shitbag? From what little I've seen of him, he certainly looks a player, and he's got an engine, but I don't think he's in the Parker//Kinsella mould - can't see him humping many championship midfielders up in the air. Despite the failures of the last two games I honestly don't think we're that far away - we need another striker pretty quickly and there are obvious worries at the back, but the midfield looks pretty good to me. Oddly, where I thought we would struggle in midfield (central, away from home) we've actually looked pretty solid. Its at home where we seem to need someone with bite to cop hold of the game. No way we'll make the automatic promotion spots, but I think we'll get in the playoffs and, to be honest, if this side went up and we didn't spend 30 million in the summer we'd be absolutely murdered in the premier league anyway, so maybe a season of consolidation would do us some good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Do you think Arter is an evil box to box shitbag? From what little I've seen of him, he certainly looks a player, and he's got an engine, but I don't think he's in the Parker//Kinsella mould - can't see him humping many championship midfielders up in the air. Despite the failures of the last two games I honestly don't think we're that far away - we need another striker pretty quickly and there are obvious worries at the back, but the midfield looks pretty good to me. Oddly, where I thought we would struggle in midfield (central, away from home) we've actually looked pretty solid. Its at home where we seem to need someone with bite to cop hold of the game. No way we'll make the automatic promotion spots, but I think we'll get in the playoffs and, to be honest, if this side went up and we didn't spend 30 million in the summer we'd be absolutely murdered in the premier league anyway, so maybe a season of consolidation would do us some good.

I pretty much agree with you but to play Zheng Zhi and Andy Reid together you need a clearer upper like Semedo which I think at times is a bit counter productive. Arter seems tidy enough and you're right he may not be the answer I was trying to highlight the lack of 'bite' in the middle which is not a new problem in this sqaud. Problems are the home 'support' is shockingly bad, the midfield plays the best football in the league but needs 5 men to do so. And the centre forward is so ridiculosly over worked he is shagged after an hour of nearly every game. The defence is shaky but has been punished for some schoolboy errors that a lot of the sides we've played have got away with. be that down to arrogance on our part or special excertian on the oppositions behalf as we are the leagues big time charlies.

Either way I don't think we have played anywhere near badly enough to deserve some of the abuse our home supprt has levelled at the team
  • Options
    i agree with the home support, however i dont blame it for the results, when you look at watford their support in general is awful but they are still up top and if you look at the face of things player for player we have the better footballers. the main problem i think is that players come to defend at the valley and we simply cant break them down where as away from home teams are more attacking and we can get in behind more often, its something the team will have to overcome and i have faith in pards and the boys to do so
  • Options
    We need a big six footer in midfield. Someone in the Mark Aizlewood mould. Not only to give us extra muscle in midfield but also to be very useful for corners at both ends. We have good skillful midfielders but none of them have the presence required in this division. Too lightweight playing 4 in midfield, so the only way we have any success is to play 5 in there.
    4-5-1 is a useful formation to grind out a result, as Curbs taught us. However over time the team gradually lose their ability and confidence to play good attacking football, which is what you need to do at home to breed confidence and get the crowd behind you.
    Either get someone like Huddlestone in on loan from spurs or at least try the only player on our books who has the required attributes, Bougherra.
  • Options
    10 home games into last season we had lost 4 of them man utd, pompey, arsenal and liverpool.....
    this leagues so much more exciting losing to plymouth, QPR, sheff utd and burnley
  • Options
    Agree with Magic in midfield. bring back semedo as well. 5 in the middle .we are hopeless with just 4 in the middle.
  • Options
    I don't agree that we haven't got enough fight in us for this league. If that was the case we wouldn't have won five away and beat Soton with ten men.

I suspect its a combination of

a) players playing with too much expectation on their shoulders at home
    b) away teams coming with a game plan to stiffle us

Yesterday there was some of that but frankly none of that was the cause yesterday. It was just down to some rank bad defending at two set pieces, and then a moment of madness just after we had a goal chalked off and had been virtually camped in their half.

At two nil down after 14 minutes, most teams would have been knocked out of their stride. The opposition on the other hand, having gone two ahead, were in dreamland and played with massive confidence. We could then have conceded again but credit to Charlton we did rally and got a goal before half time and could have had a penalty just on the HT whistle.

We came out fired up and with luck and slightly more composure could have got the equaliser that our pressure deserved. Suddenly we gift them a third and it was really all over.

I give credit to Pards for the brave decision to change the team yesterday. He could not have planned for the calamitous defending at the start but he didn't panic and we could have taken something from the game.

As for the fans, well its difficult to critcise fans for being flat at two nil. The goal sparked us into life and up to the point of the penalty, they got behind the team. You could see though that heads dropped at 2-0 and 3-1 and that doesn't help fans morale. What hacked me off yesterday was the bloke next to me who arrived late and pissed, went for a slash after about 20 minutes. Left for another before half time muttering about a disaster. Then sat there in virtual silence only to leave ten minutes before the end. Why come to a football match on that basis?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]How can any team that loses 4 home games out of 5 realistically expect to be in the hunt for promotion. It's only our away form that is currently keeping us up there. Yet again we were not up to the physical battle today. I know our defence was shocking for the first two & Mills had a brainstorm when conceding the penalty, but it was sad to see us constantly out battled in the midfield & in their penalty area. I am not convinced that we have the sort of players necesary to win what seems to come down to a war every week. You can't berate our players for lack of effort but the physical challenge of this division is something that we have not yet come to terms with.

well, last three homes games Watford have drawn with Colchester Utd and lost to Burnley and Bristol City. In this division that is how it goes. And that is why the three teams promoted are more than likely to go back down. In all today Burnley had two efforts at goal and yet scored three goals, the pen being haned to them on a plate. Don't get me wrong I'm not happy but neither would it surprise me if we won our next four. That's the way it is in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I don't agree that we haven't got enough fight in us for this league. If that was the case we wouldn't have won five away and beat Soton with ten men.

I suspect its a combination of

a) players playing with too much expectation on their shoulders at home
    b) away teams coming with a game plan to stiffle us

problem really is that our fans expect to just turn up and watch us turn over these 'lesser' teams. That isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]10 home games into last season we had lost 4 of them man utd, pompey, arsenal and liverpool.....
    this leagues so much more exciting losing to plymouth, QPR, sheff utd and burnley

spot on oohahh.
    it's much more fun having the piss ripped out of you when losing to players nobody has even heard of.