Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing Todorov at home...

From this distance it looks to me like we are having real problems breaking down teams in these home games, four defeats in five home games against modest opposition is an appalling record for a team with promotion ambitions.

Noticeably, those four defeats have included only two goals from us (one of which was Mills streaky effort against Plymouth) which is a clear sign that we are lacking guile in the final third of the pitch.

We can scrap for these 1-0 wins in the away games but in these home games you need a bit of craft to get yourself ahead and for my money that is where we are seriously missing Todorov's ability to get the ball to feet and create chances for others.

None of our other strikers can do this so we are very predictable in the final third which means that seeing as Toddy is a goner for the rest of the season we need to bring some craft in up front....

Maybe Sheringham might do a job for us although its not clear whether Colchester would let him go and maybe Rowan Vine from Brum (currently on loan at QPR) could be useful although he is a different sort of player.

Anyone got any ideas who could do this type of job for us?

Comments

• Options
    I certainly agree that with Toddy out for the season and McLeod not up to this level then we need to add a striker in January.

Varney had a reasonable game today but is still a bit raw.

Dickson seems to be putting them in the net at the Gills (they may well be tap ins I dont know) but he doesnt appear to be in Pards plans. But I dont see why he shouldnt be given the chance before we look elsewhere. Also James Walker at Yeovil is the same situation.
  • Options
    DiCanio!
  • Options
    Have you checked the garage ?

That's where he hid last time :-)

I agree about missing Toddy a bit, though i think the absence is making us think he was better and more important that he was in our search for 'the answer'. We're just not functioning effective in key areas of a team's make up at the moment; a steelness throughout the side that gives little away, a determination to scrap when things are going against us and 'raise it a gear', a desire to get ball wide and then get bodies into the box.

We have some decent players for this level, but as a collective unit, we're simply not getting enough out of them. Whether that's the manager or the individual, i don't know
  • Options
    Toddy would have easily finished as our top scorer IMHO. His style also meant we played to his feet. Need an experienced striker, just like we need an experienced centre half.
  • Options
    Toddy was class and we badly miss him. If he wasn't doing stuff directly himself he would take defenders with his intelligent running off the ball.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Toddy was class and we badly miss him. If he wasn't doing stuff directly himself he would take defenders with his intelligent running off the ball.

I totally agree Len. A player with his guile would always be capable of doing a job at this level. Thinking slightly out of the box, I am wondering, what if we played ZZ as a striker alongside Big Chris or Varney? He doesn't always have his shooting boots on but he never fails to try and doesn't hide. He is also technically strong. That way, maybe we could bring Racon into the team rather than Holland who really is lacks the engine now to make a difference.
  • Options
    I totally agree about missin Toddy,I bet when we signed Big Chris pards didn't think he would have to rely on him so much,teams now know if we go behind we just lump long balls.I do think Pards has gone from the tried and tested method he used at West Ham to gain promotion and taken a few gambles that dont appear at present to have paid off.This may well be down to financial restraints,but I think we need players like Harewood and a big no nonsense centre half,if cardiff are in financial difficulty a Darren Purse type of player is what we need.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite] if cardiff are in financial difficulty a Darren Purse type of player is what we need.

that's not a bad little shout you know.
  • Options
    Elliott Ward at Coventry would be a smart move, solid CB - played well under Pards when the Hammers went up & with Coventry in dire financial straits - this could be a smart move?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Elliott Ward at Coventry would be a smart move, solid CB - played well under Pards when the Hammers went up & with Coventry in dire financial straits - this could be a smart move?

Elliott Ward - a season or so ago he was loaned out from West Ham to Plymouth Argyle as a 20 year old for the experience.

He spent 3 months with the Greenies in the Championship and they reckoned him a hero.
    Their defence from leaking goals soon became pretty watertight and they steadily climbed away from the relegation places.

Ward is particularly strong in the air attacking the ball. And bravery is second nature.
    But he doesn't have the years of experience yet and perhaps organisational ability & leadership we may well be looking for.

Does he still have his long, long hair? It didn't bother the Greenies.
    They gave him a standing ovation and a special thank you celebration & award before his final game at Home Park.

He made that much difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with all this.

But which Centre Half would move to the bench.. Fortune or Sodje?
  • Options
    From Oggy's description of Ward Sodje.
  • Options
    fortune for me