Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere?

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
The atmosphere at the valley used to be raucas and intimidating for any visiting side.At times it used to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.Not any more. Why?

I reckon it dates back to when they first put the upper tier on the north stand.

Why don't the board take it down and stick it on the Jimmy seed? ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Why don't we move the singers & the drum into the Jimmy Seed stand.
    And stick the away support into the NW Quadrant..... ? ;o)

Disapate the away crowd vocals into an obscure corner (like other clubs do to us),
    and make a proper 'Covered End' again with a low roof to amplify the singing & atmosphere.

That'll stop us being always outsung by the away fans and bring back the Valley Roar!
  • Options
    I fear the atmosphere is gone for good
  • Options
    Definitely went when the covered end came down.

When E and F block used to stand en masse long before it became trendy to stand in seated areas.

I sit half way line East Stand and can honestly say that 1000 away fans make more noise than 9000 in the North these days.
  • Options
    Maybe the singers should sit in the East blocks nearest the south as most of the away numptys give it to the half empty stand full of pensioners.

That way we might sing more
  • Options
    as has been said before time to fuck the away fans off in to a few blocks of the East Stand and put the ultras ( i say that tongue in cheek) in the Jimmy Seed. SPurs at home last season shows what we can do as fans now stop the bollocks and get behind them.

If they are crap tell them at the end of the game
  • Options
    Agree with LEdge.
    Though due to access and proximity to the station the police would doubtless prefer them to go in the south stand end of the West stand.
    Why not put them there - ideally up in the top tier so they are away from the action.
    With its good acoustics even a few hundred away fans can create a good atmosphere in the Jimmy Seed and give the impression there are many more than there actually are.
    Ipswich, I dare say, will bring a couple of thousand so maybe not feasible but for Hull on the 22nd the end of the West Stand would be the perfect place to put them.
  • Options
    Can't we just take the roof off the Jimmy Seed?

In all seriousness though I agree with putting away fans in a corner or a couple of blocks in the East/West.
  • Options
    Some of you may get that wish quicker than you realise, because if we continue to decline rather than climb, it will only be a couple of seasons before the South is closed for cost saving and away fans re-housed.
  • Options
    our average crowd will be down to 15k if not promoted within the next couple of years
  • Options
    Come on people - lighten up!

Yes, Saturday was bad, yes, the crowd are frustrating in their willingness to boo and their reluctance to get behind the team but I think all the forecasts of certain doom are a bit much.

We need to up our game and we are clearly lacking in a couple of areas but we are fourth, we're in touch with the automtic promotion spots and all's to play for between now and the end of the season.

Certain people seem to come on here and do nothing but whinge - it's not the same as booing but only adds to the negativity around the place. Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, especially on matters on the pitch but all this 'atmosphere's gone forever', 'closing down parts of the stadium', 'average attendance to dip by 10k', 'let's go to Bluewater instead' seems over the top to me, especially when we've taken 12 points from our last six games.

On the one hand, yes, if we don't go up within two years I'm sure the average attendance will drop. There again, looking at our current position in the table it's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility that we will go up and our average attendance will climb again. It's all a bit glass half empty isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post PITL
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Agree with LEdge.
    Though due to access and proximity to the station the police would doubtless prefer them to go in the south stand end of the West stand.
    Why not put them there - ideally up in the top tier so they are away from the action.
    With its good acoustics even a few hundred away fans can create a good atmosphere in the Jimmy Seed and give the impression there are many more than there actually are.
    Ipswich, I dare say, will bring a couple of thousand so maybe not feasible but for Hull on the 22nd the end of the West Stand would be the perfect place to put them.

A season ticket in the west stand costs £450, a season ticket for behind the goal is £315. Which do you think the club would rather have full?

You also need to take into account segregation. To move away fans to the east or west would mean having a large amount of your most expensive seats empty to keep fans seperate.

It's a good idea in theory but I doubt the club would be up for it cos it would cost to much money.
  • Options
    Ledge hit it on the head. Against Spurs there was fantastic noise and atmosphere.

So all we have to do is get relegated again : - )
  • Options
    To say the atmosphere will never return is ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The atmosphere when the upper tier opened was still superb to be perfectly honest. Maybe not as good as the old covered end but games like 4-4 with West Ham, 3-1 with Spurs it was electric.

Was a lot more people standing, it all started to go downhill while the stewards/club spent a lot of time telling people to sit in J & H Block, they have given up on it now but there is a lot less people standing since that happened and it cannot be denied that this has had an effect on the atmosphere.