Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

10 Things you never knew about Cardiff

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
1. Much of the recent series of Dr Who and the spin off show Torchwood was filmed in Cardiff.

2. At the recent home game v Cardiff the Bluebirds fans were fighting each other outside the turnstiles

3. Cardiff is the Capital of Wales a part of the United Kingdom that is not represented on the Union Flag. Someone has recently suggested that a Welsh Dragon be superimposed on the Union Flag to correct this.

4. Cardiff are the only club from outide England to have won the FA Cup

5. Cardiff once missed out on winning the old Ist Division on goal average. They had an average of 1.794 compared with Champions Huddersfield's 1.818. Cardiff missed a potentially match winning penalty in the last game of the season.

Comments

• Options
    6. Cardiff was where my cherry got popped.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]6. Cardiff was where my cherry got popped.

Aah, the old surges on a packed terrace eh ?? :-)
  • Options
    It wasnt as romantic as that...:-).
  • Options
    Wales is represented its part of the white background, anyway its a principality of England, so why should it...

:P
  • Options
    7. Before it was all the rage, Cardiff was the first club to pioneer the subterranean football ground, with the erection of the original (and rather humourously named) Ninian Park in August 1920 in a working mine shaft some 1,000 feet below ground level.

Though it was difficult to maintain the pitch in the absence of sunlight, the locals preferred the cavernous ambiance, with its phenomenal acoustics, to the more modern stadia of opponents in the Football League. Pit workers found the ground accessible, even during work hours, as the pitch was visible to miners shifting coal up the shaft.

Eventually, by 1952, as the mine was cleared of coal, Ninian Park was exposed to the elements.

As recent as 2003, some local supporters have gained a substantial following through their campaign, Mountain Gold, to re-cover The Park with an ambitious plan to re-constitute the once proud mountainous surroundings that kept the football ground buried below.
  • Options
    the worlds first million pound deal was struck in cardiff bay in the late 1890's.
    there is more greenary per head than in any other european capital.
    up until recently more people spoke welsh in argentina than in wales.
    cardiff is roughly half the size of bristol.
    a tsunami devastated parts of the cardiff area in the early 17th century.
  • Options
    Shirley Bassey and Charlotte Church are from Cardiff.
  • Options
    Cadiff City F.C. are on the verge of going into administration

Spillers records in the town centre is the oldest record shop in the u.k.

Tom Jones has the biggest collection of used women's knickers in the world.
  • Options
    Spillers records in the town centre is the oldest record shop in the world
  • Options
    I Used to deal with them about 15 odd years ago,and have also visited the shop on a few occassions really nice people, didn't realise it was the oldest shop in the world.
    Remember seeing some old photo's up in the shop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    the council tried to close it down recently, trippling the rates putting pressure on them. john lewis is going opposite them and they would bring the area down, but peolple pressure kept it open. its small and dingy with their famous red carrier bags. they used to sell sheet music before records even excisted.
  • Options
    Hope spillers can keep going, genuine music lovers and as i said before nice people.
    Have sold them many record over the years.
  • Options
    Ira Stevens left Cardiff for Hollywood in 1936 to become child star Shirley Temple's double and stand-in. She appeared inLittle Princess and a Christmas Carol.
  • Options
    In 1857, General Tom Thumb, the smallest man alive (height of 31 inches weight 25lb) visited Cardiff's Town Hall. It cost sixpence to see him.
  • Options
    If you stand on the roof of the tallest building in Cardiff it is possible to see the tip of the North Pole. This happens only when polar winds are light and Santa's elves have extended the pole to it's full height. Cardiff is the furthest south at which it is possible to do this.
  • Options
    Cardiff City is not an anagram of naff critic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Cardiff City is not an anagram of naff critic

It is however an anagram of Daffy Critic