Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away form great - Home form crap! - Discuss

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Its a funny old game Saint!

Well yet another three excellent away points against, I suppose we should acknowledge, a fairly poor Cardiff side by all accounts. So thats 6 wins/2 defeats away and 4 win/4 defeats. Why?

Heres a few thoughts

1. we are a bigger scalp at home - decent premier league quality ground?
2. our players are too laid back at home - expecting to turn teams over easily and don't have enough fire in their belly?
3. Pards gets the tactics wrong at home too often - playing 4-4-2 too much when 4-5-1 would be a better bet?
4. the players can't deal with the fans expectations and are too nervous and tentative from the start, which gets worse if things go badly and fans voice their disatisfaction?
5. Team spirit is special on away days and this makes the players more focussed?
6. Its just one of those things?

What is true is that we have now played 360 minutes on our travels without conceding a goal. If we can only translate that to home games we would be sitting at the top of the table.

Comments

• Options
    The Friday before a home game the players should be put up in a hotel say in Bexleyheath and treat it like an away game.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Our recent form is just crazy. We have won our last 4 away games, but lost 4 of our last 5 home games. The tactics at home are just not working. We don't seem to have the patience to build a performance at home. We go out all guns blazing & get beaten up by teams prepared to sit back, absorb our pressure & do us on the counter attack. The atmosphere at the Valley is a big part of this, as the crowd starts to get restless if we are not 2-0 up after 10 minutes. This puts unreasonable pressure on the players. So, in summary, I am going for a combination of 3 & 4!!
  • Options
    I dont think putting players in a hotel in Bexleyheath is wise... Lasagne and other activities likely to result in legal action

WBA 2 Coventry 4
    Sheff U 0 Stoke 3

And other results recently show this to be a crazy league. If we can improve 10% at home by cutting out silly errors at the back and by finishing those chances at crucial times you never know.

Perhaps the fans can play a part too.
  • Options
    us fans plain and simple plus a little bit of some of your points. if this win doesnt show the negative fans what their support at home, or lack of it, is contributing to the campaign then they can kiss goodbye to any promo hopes wehave.
  • Options
    in no way do i want to put down a win, but i think there is a part that Cardiff as a club seem absolutely on their knees at the moment. Think we caught a tricky away day at the right time.

Its down to not the fans, not the manager, but the players to take the confidence from a win into the home games and banish what is starting to look a bit of a psychological problem.
  • Options
    In my opinion, shit fans, plain and simple.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I can't see how it's the fans FFS. It's not as if they're getting shedloads of abuse, just a bit of impatience.

They probably don't hear many of the comments anyway (although they may sense general air of nervousness)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I can't see how it's the fans FFS. It's not as if they're getting shedloads of abuse, just a bit of impatience.

They probably don't hear many of the comments anyway (although they may sense general air of nervousness)

Exactly right, its a cheap excuse. I'm sure its not much help granted, but most players will tell you that in the big stadiums, they hear very little during games.
  • Options
    If we play to feet we will out football most teams in this division.

As fans we need to be more patient. I'm glad ZZ can't speak much English with some of the abusive comments I hear around me. The bloke has scored 4 goals from open play and midfield in league games. That's good I reckon. What more do we expect from him?
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's difficult to put a finger on why this is happening. I agree with the need for patience at home, I think that perhaps there is an element of over confidence at the start which is knocked out pretty quickly and tends collapse to nervousness. We have though, the resolve, on occasions to climb off the floor. I'm thinking of Sheff Wed, and even the last two games we got opportunities to get back to level terms and were denied. On Saturday, it was very hard to separate the overall underperformance from the rank bad defending which led to all three goals.

It is true what Pards says about the need to pass the ball around. Why oh why do we so often resort to the easy and mostly unproductive option of lumping it forward to Big Chris?

At Bristol recently, we played them off the park for long periods, especially in the first half. We need that kind of rhythem at home.

It is a strange league though with so many up and down results.

Lets hope we can build again from this result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I havent a clue but its a lot more than the fans being impatient and the players freezing. Maybe our 4-5-1/4-3-3 is more of a 4-3-3 at home and we leave too many spaces at the back?

As I said on Monday, I fully expected us to win last night and I fully expect us to get turned over on Saturday.
  • Options
    We can't break a team down at home when the pressure/ onus is on us to take the game to them. Something wrong there - probably a combination of tactics and confidence. It still feels like there's a hangover from last season at times, which is a bit weird.

The atmosphere is not a positive factor at the moment, but to say it is the reason is a ludicrously lame excuse.

But never fear, I'll be there on Sat and Oohaahmortimer won't -there's been a pattern in results so far when that's been the case. Put it this way. I haven't seen us lose at home yet this season...(hope that's not famous last words).

Well done to Pardew and the team last night for getting it right. AFKA makes a valid point that Cardiff are absolutely in the sh*te at the moment, but we still had to take the points on offer.
  • Options
    well ipswich have an awesome home record and are utter pony away from home, one of only 2 teams not to have won away in this league...so lets try and use one of the better footballing sides in this division as a springboard to a decent home run!
  • Options
    I listened to the game, and heard valley floyd road, and lots of charlton voices through most of the game. it wasn't deafening but it was certainly heard.
    only heard one airing of "city" from the cardiff fans.
    do'nt think the fans are to blame. I think in the premiership we struggled with a lack of belief, now we have too much belief we think we can walk the games. remember how nervous as fans we were to face arsenal, imagine how the players felt, now we stroll to every game expecting a win. I dont' think the players are as up for it as the oppositions seem to be sometimes, is that cos they think they are too good to try?
  • Options
    problem seems to be there is no one skilfull enough to break teams down at home and the strikers are not so good when tightly marked. away it is different... more space for the strikers and bigger gaps for the midfielders to hit and of course the opposition cant break our tighter defence down either

what is needed in the transfer window is a skilful midfield creator to play alongside holland or semedo with a new top championship striker (possibly on loan from premiership) and if pos a fast winger too. at the moment we are making do with iwelumo, reid etc
  • Options
    I'm just bloody pleased our away form is so good. It's kept us right in it. Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: markwebb22[/cite]well ipswich have an awesome home record and are utter pony away from home, one of only 2 teams not to have won away in this league...so lets try and use one of the better footballing sides in this division as a springboard to a decent home run!

Oh no! If ever an oppo team or player has a hoodoo to break then Charlton seems to be the place to do it!
  • Options
    At home I think it's a mix of fear and frustration, while away the players seem to be more comfy letting the opposition to get it in the neck.

Also I don't think we play at a quick enough tempo at home some times
  • Options
    If we get the basics right at home, like defending set pieces properly, then we should be ok.
  • Options
    Well done to the lads and lasses who went last night - you deserved to see the win.

Saturday should be a good atmosphere with a fair few Ipswich coming down.

I think the main prob. simply is that the players we currently have are best suited to a 4-5-1 system but at home the fans expect us to attack from the off and go for the jugular.
    Pards needs to earn his money by working out an answer to this conundrum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we've so got to push on now, a good victory against ipswich will have everyone up for the big one against wba .... i'm feeling confident cos this is such a shit league that IF we can get it together and that's a big IF we should finish in the top 2 .
    I can see us going on a long unbeaten run !!
    this is an attempt to be optimistic and it just doesn't feel right
  • Options
    oohaah - can I just double check that you are defintiely missing the Ipswich game??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]oohaah - can I just double check that you are defintiely missing the Ipswich game??
    definitely missing it...........unless my vets game is called off which could happen cos the weathers not too clever....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]oohaah - can I just double check that you are defintiely missing the Ipswich game??
    definitely missing it...........unless my vets game is called off which could happen cos the weathers not too clever....

If the latter happens, it's your duty to go to the pub instead and be nowhere near The Valley!!
  • Options
    Chris almighty I'm agreeing with Rothko.

We don't play a high enough tempo at home and don't support the forwards quickly enough, especially down the flanks.

If you watch the Burnley game again, you'd notice how slow the two wider men (ambrose & reid) to get up the park (Ambrose at one point laid the ball off in midfield and literally followed the play up front by walking!)

The fans not getting behind the players is cobblers, but why anyone would start booing 20 mins into a game is beyond me.

BTW, fair play to Matt Holland for working hard on his fitness to get back in the side. He looks fitter and more enthusiastic than previous.
  • Options
    I blame Andrew Mills
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]I blame Andrew Mills

Well thats it then - case solved. Thread over...:-)
  • Options
    What Rothko said.

Too slow a build up at times, especially getting the ball to Varney last Saturday.