Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew's permenant signings

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Bougherra
Christensen
Dixon
Iwelumo
McCarthy
McLeod
Moo2
Powell
Racon
Semedo
Sinclair
Thatcher
Todorov
Varney
Weaver

Certainly made a few in the last 12 months.

Who has been the best ?

As a whole, successful dealing or not ?

*Not including ZZ, as Les Reed already had him arranged.

Comments

• Options
    at present,Big Chris and Weaver

the worst well we will see.
  • Options
    Doesn't look great at the moment to be honest.

I'd put Iwelumo, Semedo and Weaver in the success column.

I think there's more to come from some of the others though.
  • Options
    Potential : Magic, Motokill, Dickson, Izzie, Varney

Success : Semedo, Big Chris, Weaver, Powell

Remember we dont know how much Pards has to spend regarding players wages.

I think we should really bid for Misuad from Coventry we really must get to the Premiership just to survive dont want to be like Coventry.
  • Options
    I would say Todorov was a big plus until his injury. I think we miss having that type of player to hold and pass the ball and he was scoring goals. Free transfer.

Powell, been a very handy player to have and done well when played. Free Transfer

Weaver - solid and a good price as a free transfer

Iwelumo - Goals and work rate. free transfer

Is there a pattern developing here.

Some good prospects as well such as Racon, Samedo, Moo2, Varney.
  • Options
    Successes

Iwelumo
    Weaver
    Moo2
    Thatcher
    Semedo
    Todorov

Failures

McCarthy
    Magic (in relative terms)

too soon to comment

Varney (coming into form for me)
    McLeod (Needs a chance)
    Dickson (who knows)
    Racon (Potential)

No need to comment
    Powell
    Christensen (He'll never play in the first team)
  • Options
    Bougherra - 2.5m
    Christensen - 250k
    Dixon - 35k
    Iwelumo - free
    McCarthy - 650k
    McLeod - 1.1m
    Moo2 - 400k
    Powell - free
    Racon - 370k
    Semedo - free
    Sinclair - 125k
    Thatcher - 500k rising to 750k
    Todorov - free
    Varney - 2m rising to 2.5m
    Weaver - free
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Our reserve team tonight

Charlton: Elliot, Moutaouakil, Sankofa, Racon, McCarthy, Bougherra, Arter, Yussuff, Godfrey, Uchechi, Wagstaff. Subs: A Thomas, Christie, Solly, Harkin, Lozano-Calderon.

So both of AP's big centre half purchases playing plus the two French prospects.

Any one seen Wagstaff play? I hear he's a good prospect.

Never heard of any of the Millwall team but I hate them all already : - )

Millwall: Day, O'Connor, Ebsworth, Vincenti, Sancho, Read, Bowes, Elenge, Noel, Gaynor, James. Subs: Jeffreys, Edwards, Noone, Higgins, Dingri.
  • Options
    on value has to be big chris for quality got to be semedo , weaver or moo2 can't decide on which is the best.
  • Options
    Sancho is the ex Jills player who played for Trinidad in the World Cup.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Sancho is the ex Jills player who played for Trinidad in the World Cup.

Still hate him : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree with Rothko. Have to have Thatcher as a success for amount he cost, compared to Traore. AFKA - if you got 5 mins, can you put up the players Pards has sold?
  • Options
    Only when someone can sensibly explain to me how Thatcher has been a success.

First 3 games i'll accept he was a plus, since then its downhill all the way, at fault for key goals in key games, and then single handedly ruling out any chance of victory at Blackburn will a stupid challenge. Getting banned for the run in, lethargic in pre-season, and not seen once in the past 20 games.

Success ??
  • Options
    Hmm, you got me there. Remember I have limited access to games. I would say it was more than 3 games though and he was a major factor in helping us believe that we were going to literally fight our way out of it. Blackburn and onwards I'll give you.

I saw him at the Portsmouth away game and thought he dealt with the reaction of their crowd admirably. Then between that game and Blackburn we only lost 3 games - 2 of those were Chelsea and Man U. I will hold my hands up if I've forgotten goal mistakes due to my age and new found plasticism!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Only when someone can sensibly explain to me how Thatcher has been a success.

First 3 games i'll accept he was a plus, since then its downhill all the way, at fault for key goals in key games, and then single handedly ruling out any chance of victory at Blackburn will a stupid challenge. Getting banned for the run in, lethargic in pre-season, and not seen once in the past 20 games.

Success ??

Success in that he was better than Traore...
  • Options
    i'll give you that one BFR...
  • Options
    Players sold/left/released under Pardew:

Darren Bent
    Dennis Rommedahl
    Bryan Hughes
    Herman Hreidarsson
    Luke Young
    Amdy Faye
    Marcus Bent
    Djimi Traore
    Souleymane Diawara
    Talal el Karkouri
    Rurik Gislason
    JFH
    Radostin Kishishev
    Kevin Lisbie
    Thomas Myhre
    Mark Staunton
    Simon Walton
    Stephan Andersen

Plus the loan signings Scott Carson and Alex Song.

Ok...comparing the ins and outs two things are evident, first the amount of personnel changes that Pards has had to oversee and secondly with the exception of losing Darren Bent and maybe Luke Young and Diawara I'm not that bothered about seeing any of the above leave. With Luke Young we have two excellent replacements in Mills and Moo2, while undoubedly we still have a problem at CB and I think I'd prefer Diawara to Fortune.

Man for man I think the squad is now in better shape (excluding the two loaned players who left last year) and even though we lost Darren Bent it was for top money. But you can't expect to lose a lot of experienced players and replace them with experience and quality, especially when you are taking players from the French and Portugues leagues who have never played in England and elsewhere have promoted players like Varney and mcLeod from lower leagues, and in the csae of Dickson from semi-pro football. Realistically we cannot ecxpect them all to be successes. To date only two of Pardew's signings - McCarthy look like a failures, but at £650K he won't be a massive financial failures unless he lingers on the books for a season or so without playing and then leaves on a free, while Boughera hasn't done enough to justify having had £2.5m spent to acquire his services. Of the others that have had serious money spent on them - neither McLeod and Varney have had the opportunities yet to be classed success or failure.

Semedo, Moo2, Racon to name but three might well get sold on in a year or two for a decent profit and if not, injuries permitting then they could be regular players for the next few years. Either way considering the low transfer fees paid out for they will prove bargains.
  • Options
    Re Thatcher. Pardew said that he was carrying an injury since W Ham at home. This may/may not explain why his form went downhill.