Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Golden Compass

edited December 2007 in Not Sports Related
Went to see this at the VUE Cinema at The O2 last night. As I've said in previous threads I place His Dark Materials as for sheer enjoyment my favourite ever read so clearly I was eagerly awaiting the film. Overall I was satisfied. I knew going into it it was always going to be a disappointment as anyone will tell you with 99% of books that have been turned into films that screen will never beat imagination. However the effects are spot on and it really is good to watch. The biggest gripe is simply that it moves too fast and could do with taking a bit more time over certain scenes. However it is aimed at children so I suppose their attention spans aren't that great!
As an aside it was the first time i'd been to The O2 since the revamp and I was quite impressed, had a meal with the Mrs etc. and it was very pleasant. Not sure about the £11 per hour price for the little ice rink in there tho! No Sir!

Comments

• Options
    That's the reason that I wanted to read the book first - my girlfriend had been going on about it for ages and she usually has pretty good reading tastes so I wanted to read it before the film came out. (Fight Club is the only example I can think of of a film being better than the book).

Going to see the film tomorrow night though and looking forward to it. Have read some really good reviews and some really bad ones but like with most of these things it's about how close the film comes to how you interpreted the book that'll swing it and that's quite a personal thing.
  • Options
    Me and Hubby were thinking about taking the children (aged 6 and 4) to see this but because of the 12A rating weren't sure whether it would be too much.
  • Options
    We went to the Vue at the O2 for the first time on Sunday. We saw American Gangster (great film btw)

Was very impressed with what they had done there, and although I was disappointed that Les wasn't prepared to mug some kids for take that tickets, we left the area satisfied. had a nice tapas meal, avoided the restaurant called "spur" for obvious reasons, but will definately go back as want to try out some of the other food places in there. got there at about 4.30 so missed the TT rush, and got out at about half 9 so missed it that time too.

I'm not too sure about the golden compass, saw the trailer and watched Film 2007 the other night, i'm not convinced i'd enjoy the whole film.

I want to see Enchanted instead :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red Riding Hoodie[/cite]Me and Hubby were thinking about taking the children (aged 6 and 4) to see this but because of the 12A rating weren't sure whether it would be too much.

Its a PG at The O2 I reckon they'll be fine, the ice bears could be quite scary but other than that its your normal fantasy stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Its a PG at The O2 I reckon they'll be fine, the ice bears could be quite scary but other than that its your normal fantasy stuff.

Have just checked myself and it is PG - Hmmm, maybe I've just rumbled my other half's plans to go without us! TVM!
  • Options
    I'll be going. Any film that is accused by a religious movement of being blasphemous gets my vote.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I'll be going. Any film that is accused by a religious movement of being blasphemous gets my vote.

I'm with you on that. Like a 5 star review as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    I took my girlfriend to see 30 days & nights (or summink like that) at the O2 on Tuesday. Have to admit, i was very impressed by the set-up. For those of you have been to Vegas, the downstairs with all the bars & restaurants, reminds me of a typical Vegas hotel. Bizarrely, in the cinema was just me & my bird, two other couples & a geezer on his own! Take That were playing there & I have to say, i've never seen so many women in my life as there were in the bars & restaurants.
  • Options
    Each to their own .. I hate the O2.
    It is a plastic Disney/Truman-Show-style world!

I did like the Dome though :-)
  • Options
    Don't like the mock egyptian look of the entertainment area. Don't think they have done it well and it is totally out of sync with the Dome, the Arena and the exterior. Was disappointed with the quality of service in the Vue but good seats etc.

When I went quite a few eateries not open so should be less crowded now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    does the cinema get busy, and can you pre-pick your actual seats, or just a free for all ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]does the cinema get busy, and can you pre-pick your actual seats, or just a free for all ?

wasn't very busy we I went and it was sit where you like but that wasn't first week of a run.

Most cimemas have this buy tickets where you buy food idea which saves time and staff for them but means you have to queue behind some woman/man who waits till they get to the front of the line to decide what they want, asks the five kids, changes their mind, spends hours paying by credit card and all with staff don't know how to work a till and are in no hurry to learn.

But otherwise OK. Book the tickets on-line before you go if you hate queueing like me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]I'll be going. Any film that is accused by a religious movement of being blasphemous gets my vote.

I assume you've seen all the Harry Potter films then DJDD?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]does the cinema get busy, and can you pre-pick your actual seats, or just a free for all ?

on sunday at the 4.50 showing, there were 3 tills open and only 1 group buying anything, 2 people said "can we help you" and were very helpful and alert! (which is important!). about 20 people in a big cinema.

i liked the old dome too and wish the media had given it a chance, however, i think better than it standing empty, there is a lot to do there. there is a restaurant opening soon that sounded nice, brazilian i think!

ice rink looks crap.
  • Options
    That the Brazilian place I've been banging on about Suzi, planning something for my 30th there.
  • Options
    whats it called? is that the one thats not open?
  • Options
    Rodizo Rico, not open yet, should be soon.

Off to the one in Holland Park on Monday week
  • Options
    Northern Lights. Had to post on this one; went to Beckenham Thursday to see the movie. read the trilogy His Dark Matrials in the late 90s and loved them all as a whole story and like Red army se7 was a tad concerned about Chris Weitz' interpretation. Well, it does fall between two stools - although it is very enjoyable....for those who have read the book(s) so much has been ommitted and placed out of sequence that it is an irritation BUT how else could such a complex chain of events be encompassed (sorry!) within firstly a manageble time frame and secondly a comprehensible movie for those who have not read the book! It probably could not have been so encompassed.

Do read the book and do see it; Dakota Blue is astounding as a movie debutante; don't go to drool over Daniel Craig 'cos he isn't in it very much. Enjoy the CG daemons, the airships etc. Will number 2 (the subtle knife) and number 3 ever be made? Well Golden compass ends about half way thru Northern Lights so perhaps there will be 4 in total if they are in fact made!