Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

team shape getting better

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
great game and team is taking shape. lot better in central midfield with Holland for Semedo as he poses more threat going forward and more directness with reid out of the way and ZZ probing frward.

trouble is reid then goes left and in second half powell needed support and reid couldnt provide it. Reid comes inside too much and the balance goes. does he fit in to a strong 4 4 2? doubtful which is why pards was probably building him up in the programme notes

Comments

• Options
    Reid is a real enigma. He is, without doubt, a quality player. But he doesn't seem to have the discipline to play his position at all. He likes to roam all over the pitch. In the build up to the Ipswich goal a cross fom the right went all the way across the penalty area leaving Chris Powell all alone facing 2 onrushing attackers. Just seconds earlier Reid was to be seen out on the RIGHT wing, playing a 1-2 with Sam!! FFS. If you are going to abandon your position at least tell somebody so that they can cover for you. I just feel that his lack of discipline costs us defensively far too often.
  • Options
    I don't want to be negative in any way after i game i enjoyed so much, but it was costing us dearly down the left. Pards bottled taking him off, or changing shape, and when he did decide to make a move, took Sam off who was having a fine game.

Reid is a good player, no doubt about it, but if he plays left mid with Powell behind, the opposition will target that area time and time again.
  • Options
    Reid's fastest sprint came just before he was substituted.

He was near the left touchline and obviously knew he was about to be taken off, so ran over towards the right side so that he could take longer to make his way back across the pitch...!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I don't want to be negative in any way after i game i enjoyed so much, but it was costing us dearly down the left. Pards bottled taking him off, or changing shape, and when he did decide to make a move, took Sam off who was having a fine game.

Reid is a good player, no doubt about it, but if he plays left mid with Powell behind, the opposition will target that area time and time again.

2nd half they worked out that our left was our weak spot. CHris Powell was isolated so often and Haynes gave him as hard a time as I can remember. I was expecting Samedo to come on to replace him at LB but Jose did a good job in the middle. Lived with the hurley burly of a 100 miles an hour english game well I thought.
  • Options
    so where should reid fit in to a balanced 4 4 2? cant play in the middle of a four as gets marked out of it and cant pick a killer pass; and cant play wide as too slow and wanders. interesting that pardew appeared to admit such in his programme notes
  • Options
    Reid will look fantastic in the centre of a 442 as long as he has a dominating hard tackling player beside him. At the moment we've got players who drop off and sweep up (Samedo) and hustling jack of all trade players like Holland but no one who can do a Parker job. The only realistic solution i can think of is to draft in Song during the next window, if we get him and he's improved on last year then we'll have a hell of a 1st team.

S.