Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 9th December 2000. Charlton 3 Man Utd 3

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 9th December 2000.
Charlton Athletic 3 (1) (Bartlett 10 79, Robinson 85) Manchester United 3 (2) (Giggs 42, Solskjaer 43, Keane 66). The Valley. Att: 20,043

Charlton: Kiely, Kishishev (Konchesky 88), Rufus, Fish, Powell, Stuart, Jensen, Kinsella, Salako (Robinson 68), Bartlett (Svensson 87), Johansson. Unused subs: Brown, Caig.

Man Utd: Van der Gouw, P Neville, G Neville, Brown, Silvestre, Beckham (Sheringham 74), Keane (Greening 71), Butt, Chadwick (Scholes 60), Giggs, Solskjaer. Unused subs: Irwin, Rachubka.

Referee: Steve Lodge (Barnsley)

Johansson finished top scorer with 14 goals from 29(4) appearences, an impressive return. Bartletts figures were also good with 7 goals from 18(2).

Charlton finished 9th with a home record of 11 wins, 5 draws and just 3 defeats.

Comments

• Options
    Best game of recent times and was in Sky's top 10 Premiership games ever I believe
  • Options
    An outrageous shot from Giggs from a mile out hit the crossbar and came straight back out to Solskjaer
    who prodded home...Gutted. An incredible game though.
  • Options
    Have to say this is one of the best games Ive ever seen at the valley....if not THE best
  • Options
    Amazing match- as a football match it had everything and, for me, between this and the play-off final ( yes that good) as my favourite match of all time.

And Robbo's expressiom whem he scored- he was almost crying with joy!
  • Options
    superb game and the thrill, excitement and loop after chinny robinsons equaliser was brilliant....
    give me games like this against proper footballing teams over anything we'll ever get in the championship... onwards and upwards WE MUST GO !!
  • Options
    can still chuckle thinking of Johnny R reeling away as if he was Marco Tardelli !!!
  • Options
    I was sitting in the covered end for this game, towards the east stand. The second half of this game sticks out as one where the linesman (I think they were still called that then) kept flagging for offside against us. We were still 3-1 down I think when he gave one particularly dodgy looking one and someone in the east decided enough was enough and ran down to the front of the stand to remonstrate with him. The lino looked terrified and barely raised his flag for the rest of the game and everytime he got near the corner was looking round to the stand to check it was safe.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    oh god never gone so mental as i did that day when robbo scored - can't believe it was 7 years ago. Where is time going FFS
  • Options
    We could have been three up in the first 10 mins, if I remember rightly. Bartlett was on fire that day. I thought it was game over when Keane scored but we just kept going.I was going as mental as Johnny R when he scored. Oh, the memories...
  • Options
    And it was so good of Fergie to take off Keane and Beckham and let us back into the match - or at least I think that's the way most of the media interpreted it!

A fantastic end to end game - we completely outplayed them for the first 20 mins, but then they woke up. If that Giggs shot had gone in (and it was SO close), that would have been the best goal ever. Most teams would have been killed off by them getting two right on half time, but we even let them have another one before the great comeback. One of those times when a draw definitely felt like a victory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] If that Giggs shot had gone in (and it was SO close), that would have been the best goal ever.

He was trying to out Beckham Beckham's goal against Wimbledon, and you are right it would have been better.
  • Options
    Deano should of done better with Keane's goal if i remember correctly.

Also thought we had signed something special in Bartlett, though i maintain that after this we never really played to his strengths.
  • Options
    I think it helped that Bartlett was playing against the team he'd always supported...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I think it helped that Bartlett was playing against the team he'd always supported...
    also that he was playing for a contract
  • Options
    and also we put a couple of cracking crosses in from wide areas for him to attack, rather than just lumping it up to his nut like we're currently doing with Iwelumo
  • Options
    Bartlett was a much better player than most people gave him credit for and given our financial limitations an inspired signing by Curbs.
  • Options
    Was this the game that we really seemed to get to Steve 'Wiggy' Lodge and the East Stand Lino? I seem to remember them eventually giving us everything. One of the only times I've witnessed officials getting intimidated at The Valley.

Give me two or three of these a season rather than beating (and losing to) dross teams week in and out.
  • Options
    Mrs Algarve nipped to the loo just before half time, happy that we were good for our one - nil lead. Couldn't believe it when she got back and we were losing.

I think both of us got injuries in the mad hysterical melee after Robbo's equaliser.
  • Options
    The game that changed my eldest son’s life! That’s his quote. It was his first full season and he was about 5 ½. Whilst he enjoyed going it was this match that lit a flame inside him that still burns today.
    He is a total football nut now and absolutely devoted to CAFC. He has a passion for the club which I find both strange and appealing at the same time.
    He cannot wait to leave his old man in the East and join all you nutters in the North soon
    A couple of years and he’ll be up there with his mates and doing all the Aways too. I can’t wait, I can get my Saturdays back, watching the racing and GSS.
  • Options
    Feckin missed it had to take my kids to golf club christmas party,got told by someone we were winning 1-0 but were now losing 3-1.After the party had to pick my wife up from work and as we were driving home Robbo scored I nearly crashed the car went absolutely mental.Everyone gave me pelters for missing game of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    One of my top 5 of recent years. I still smile when I think about Robinson's celebration.

Wonderfull stuff.
  • Options
    This was my fave game at the Valley I think, Giggs had an outstanding game and gave Kish a torrid time with a few mazy runs down the left in the second half. We had a superb start to the game, JJ and Bartlett both had great chances before the opener and even after think we could have gone 2-0 in front.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]superb game and the thrill, excitement and loop after chinny robinsons equaliser was brilliant....
    give me games like this against proper footballing teams over anything we'll ever get in the championship third tier... onwards and upwards WE MUST GO !!
  • Options
    Watching the video of that season and hearing the crowd after Robbo's goal is still an unbelievable feeling. Only Pringle v Newcastle and Newton v Ipswich come close.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Feckin missed it had to take my kids to golf club christmas party,got told by someone we were winning 1-0 but were now losing 3-1.After the party had to pick my wife up from work and as we were driving home Robbo scored I nearly crashed the car went absolutely mental.Everyone gave me pelters for missing game of the season.

Steve...possibly the best game at the Valley in our lifetime mate!

;-)
  • Options
    13 years ago today. Robbo is till running to celebrate his goal!