Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disappointing thing about Saturday

3-0 up at half time was an ideal opportunity to try a plan B - say Varney and McLoud up front, especially as their centre halves were not the quickest. Instead we continued to lump it up to Iwelumo and get lucky with second balls. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure big Chris did not have the ball under his control at any stage during the 90 minutes.

Comments

• Options
    Still scored though
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite] Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure big Chris did not have the ball under his control at any stage during the 90 minutes.

Apart from the time he stuck it in the corner of their net...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]3-0 up at half time was an ideal opportunity to try a plan B - say Varney and McLoud up front, especially as their centre halves were not the quickest. Instead we continued to lump it up to Iwelumo and get lucky with second balls. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure big Chris did not have the ball under his control at any stage during the 90 minutes.

Spot on, exactly what we were saying....great time to go 4-4-2 with Varney and McCleod given a chance, instead we sat back and invited them on for 20 mins and were lucky it wasn't 3-3.....and Big Chris knew nothing about his goal, it just hit him !!!, thought he was pretty poor saturday.
  • Options
    I was disappointed that we’ve conceded 3 penalties in the last 3 home games.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]

and Big Chris knew nothing about his goal, it just hit him !!!, thought he was pretty poor saturday.

I sorry, thats total cock. He stooped and chested the ball in.
  • Options
    we'll agree to differ then.....I'm more than happy with Chris playing away from home in a 4-5-1, just don't feel he gives us to much at home and think we need to go with more pace and play more on the floor, Varney / ZZ etc..
  • Options
    It was also Chris who won the ball in the air and directed it out to Sam in the build up to the first goal if I'm not mistaken??

Thought he had an excellent first half, and was a major contributor to creating all sorts of problems for them. In the second de Vos was often all over him and as usual he got little protection from the ref.
  • Options
    I am a tad bemused by this thread - 3-1 home win, loads of action and I felt a better atmosphere. I have no complaints.
  • Options
    Good point on the atmosphere. I thought it was much better, quietened down again as the fans (and players) got a bit nervous of throwing the game away but I wouldn't complain if the atmosphere was like that every week (other than against Palace when I expect that roof to be lifted off the covered end!).

We even deviated from the standard red army and the droning CAFC at times!
  • Options
    With all our ability on the floor, it frustrates me that we just lump it up to Big Chris.

It's not a problem so much away because the team play more packed together in midfield - so the knockdowns are more often picked up - and the quick break is on.

But at home, we tend to be far more open and should have wide men available & looking. Ball to feet is more or less essential - look how lethal we were on Saturday with ball to feet for the first goal:
    Sam wins the ball well, runs with it, Holland overlaps as Sam lays the ball into his path. A first class cross - from
    the BYELINE, always hard to defend - and Ambrose can't miss with the header.

It really can be that simple.

And generally much more effective than just lumping a high ball to Big Chris on his own when surrounded by defenders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iwelumo was also limping quite badly by the end which makes it all the more amazing he didn't use Varney much earlier

agree that we were a bit fortunate it wasn't 3-3 ten minutes into the 2nd half, after they missed a pen, hit the bar and then scored...