Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So if we get promoted what areas do we need to strenghten?

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
And who would fill the gaps.

I think Leroy Lita would be a fabulous signing (improbable though!) and would cwertainly be a signing with an eye on Premiership football next year.

I would say we certainly need some defenders - at least 3 top quality ones at that. (Wes Brown is available...whilst I admit Chocolate Orange is not the best defender in the league he is an improvement on what we have now)

Can't think who else though...

Comments

• Options
    everywhere.......we would be embarrassed in the prem with our current squad.
  • Options
    goalkeeper is ok. fortune is ok. ZZ would be a good reserve

so only 9 new players i reckon!
  • Options
    Don't even think Reid is good enough for a decent prem side.

J Thomas, Sodjie, Weaver and maybe Semedo i suppose can all hack it in the Prem.
  • Options
    I think 9 is a bit harsh.

Moo2 would probably be better in the Prem with a bit more time and space - it's less frantic
    Reidy can cut it
    Lloyd Sam is getting better with every game and isstarting to show us a few tricks too
    Jerome Thomas can cut it (when he can be arsed)
    Weaver should be ok
    Zheng Zhi is looking like a great player
    Semedo is a great signing

These players are mostly young and exciting. I just think a bit of experience and steel is required and we could hold our own.

We can't be any worse than Derby, Sunderland, Middlesboro....can we??
  • Options
    LOL!!

What areas don't we need to strengthen??

Personally, going to enjoy the next couple of months without worrying about what we would need to do in the summer if we make it up.

but Swisdom's list above looks about on the money.

Reid, ZZ, Semedo, Moo2, Thomas (if he attitude is right) and also for me Mills could still definitely do it

None of our current strikers would score goals in the Prem. in my humble opinion though
  • Options
    yes sorry forgot about Semedo and Mookil

not reid though!
  • Options
    Assuming we keep Sodje and Mills and Cory Gibbs actually is fit, I think we need

another Centre Back preferably lefted footed
    at least two more midfielders - one tough tackling/holding, the other more flair
    two more strikers

Looking at the teams doing relatively well in the prem, like Portsmouth and Man City, you need some strong, athletic type players in the spine of the team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]LOL!!

What areas don't we need to strengthen??

Personally, going to enjoy the next couple of months without worrying about what we would need to do in the summer if we make it up.

None of our current strikers would score goals in the Prem. in my humble opinion though

We may have scored 30 goals already this season - but we rarely look clinical in front of goal.
    Although having said that, both Ambrose's goals against Ipswich & Reidy's against Burnley were top draw in creating & dispatching.

Big Chris puts in massive work but his finishing is, no disrespect, only Championship average.

Varney, all effort, pace & good running but doesn't have that clinical finish that Toddy has - we've badly missed Toddy's composure, single-mindedness & touch in front of goal.

Poor old McLeod - well, lets be kind. Without a decent run in the side (or any side), he'll struggle to regain his self-confidence. And if only gets 5 minutes at the end of a match, then he really needs a lucky break to kick start him.
    And that's so far eluded him.

Dickson, the proverbial wild card. Getting better all the time. Potential? - it's all there with the right application and a bit of experience. Bit not even tried at Championship level.

So, really they are at best CCC level. It was never to be, I know, but if we had managed to keep Darren Bent one more season, we'd have probably been 10 points clear by now, despite our home defending.

And if we do go up, we would need to search for our next 'Darren Bent'. And we haven't found him yet.
  • Options
    if Cov go into administration, we'll take mifsud thanks!
  • Options
    We could really do with a couple strikers in January. Varney may come good, but we have seen all that Iwelumo has to offer which is quite good and he is scoring a few goals but we need someone stronger and, well, better, to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My main priorities would be:

2 new centre backs
    Left back (assuming Thatcher is fit, if not 2 lbs).
    Centre mid (to play alongside Semedo - though I still want to see a bit more of Racon this season).
    And upfront (Lita would be a good signing).

After that, see how much we've got left and go on from there, as the whole side could do with a bit more quality.
  • Options
    Lita would be a good signing but I'll be amazed if we get him
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]Lita would be a good signing but I'll be amazed if we get him

Same here. I imagine there are clubs with much more money than us looking at him
  • Options
    surely there would be prem clubs willing to sign him and pay him alot more than we could.....ignore the Pardew factor, I think the only way he would consider coming to us is if we were nailed on for promotion and about 12 points clear come January...which we won't be
  • Options
    Our squad isn't that bad overall, but we need to strenghten a lot as well. The players who can cut it in the prem are Weaver, Mouatikil, Sodje, Mills, Thatcher, Reid, Semedo, Thomas, Zheng, I think Gibbs could if he ever gets fit and, i know i'm going to get killed for this, but Ambrose could as well if he plays through the middle. I think we should go for Haynes from Ipswich, he looks quality and could be the next DB(We had him as a youngster but bloody let him go).
  • Options
    Add the Prem experienced Fortune to the list - providing he's alongside a decent aggressive centreback who's dominant in the air.