Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Own up....

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2006
    GRRRR. Are there server issues Smudge?
  • Options
    Bought three as they always fall off and I lose them. 04-MCS can confirm I was wearing one today.

Also pleased to say that Charlton have poppies on sale in the main reception.

I think if people don't want to wear one or contribute then that is there right and what people in WWII were fighting for. Just as long as everyone knows what they are and why they are wearing or not wearing one. At my son's junior school they were taught about it and it is mentioned in a school assembly around 11 Nov.

BTW isn't it pleasing that no one has started calling it "Eleven, Eleven"
  • Options
    we have one on our reception at work and the secuirty is ex forces so unavoidable if you are that way inclined. Me wear it with PRIDE
  • Options
    My Great Uncle is on the Menin Gate alongside thousands of others.

When you consider that the names on the Menin Gate are just those dead but missing and then see the vastness of the cemeteries such as Tynecot, it gives you some idea of how many thousands died at Ypres alone before you even start to think of The Somme and other battlefields.

It was supposed to be the War to end all wars. Sadly that has not proved to be the case.
  • Options
    If you are interested in WWI at all I recommend reading "Tommy" by Richard Holmes, this doesn't focus on the battles and campaigns just what it was like for ordinary soldiers in France and the low countries in WWI. Richard Holmes uses a lot of diaries and first hand materials and reports rather than official histories and records.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    i have been to northern france and been truly humbled amongst the thousands of white crosses.my grans 2 brothers both died in the first world war,one there and the other in gallipoli,which i also hope to get to.i don't think i could ever be as brave as all the young men before me.blackadder goes forth final episode was done well.gallipoli
  • Options
    Amazes me how far into France the cemetaries are. We stayed near a place called Soissons last year, which was a good 4 hour drive from Calais. Half a mile from where we were staying was a huge British cemetary, and another mile away was an American one. Until then, I always associated the massive losses with Flanders, Ypres, Normandy etc...
  • Options
    just found a relative of mine in the list mentioned above. v sad. don't pretend to be that educated about it, remember when me and my brother were younger my g'dad showing us his medals, he was blinded in one eye by shrapnel in the war. he died 15 years ago now, and i always regret not asking more questions. my nun tells us her stories of the war and how she helped make the weapons.
    my other granddad and nan were just too young, but were alive. always think i should ask for their accounts of how things were, as it is completley unimaginable.

I know that my great granddad was too old to fight, so he was a warden. i only knew this from 'dads army' where that moody geezer shouts "put that light out" all the time. my great granddad was one of them :-)
  • Options
    just found a relative of mine in the list mentioned above. v sad. don't pretend to be that educated about it, remember when me and my brother were younger my g'dad showing us his medals, he was blinded in one eye by shrapnel in the war. he died 15 years ago now, and i always regret not asking more questions. my nun tells us her stories of the war and how she helped make the weapons.
    my other granddad and nan were just too young, but were alive. always think i should ask for their accounts of how things were, as it is completley unimaginable.

I know that my great granddad was too old to fight, so he was a warden. i only knew this from 'dads army' where that moody geezer shouts "put that light out" all the time. my great granddad was one of them :-)
  • Options
    We're actually staying in Soissons next weekend, not far from where the armistace was signed - there is a gun carriage memorial there.

We've managed to find one cemetary where we all have a grave with our surnames on it which is quite surprising - though the plan is to visit 7 or 8 cemetaries.

One of my friends Grandfather really detested the German Army..........

he was looked over for promotion three times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rememberance Sunday is the 12th I presume, with Rememberance Day being the Saturday. Shouldn't I buy a poppy then?
  • Options
    My mum works at John Roan School and about 2-3 years ago they banned red poppies in favour of White anti-war ones.
  • Options
    [cite] Riscardo:[/cite]Rememberance Sunday is the 12th I presume, with Rememberance Day being the Saturday. Shouldn't I buy a poppy then?

you should do a minutes silence at 11am on the 12th.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    We used to have some neighbours when I was a kid and they met when he went through Belgium with the army (she's Belgian).

Any way cut a long story short I found out recently that her mother, who lived with them and was the softest old woman you'd find, used to be part of the Belgian resistance and was regularly out blowing up trains, sheltering shot down pilots and setting up booby traps for passing German convoys. I could never understand what they went through and the hatred that must have led to her doing that.

On the flip side my great great Uncle was William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) who was a British fascist with Sir Oswald Mosley and went to Germany at the outset of the war and became the voice of Nazi propaganda in broadcast to the UK from Germany.
  • Options
    got 2 at the start of the week.
    Been to Menin gate and tynecot a very humbling experiance only dampner was a member of my school gettin into a fight with some belgians during the menin gate memorial silence. Made me ashamed.
  • Options
    in Alberta, Nov 11th is a public holiday - although this year it's a Saturday

the whole thing is taken very seriously over here & there will be a big parade, ceremony in every hick town in the province

it should be a holiday in the UK IMO
  • Options
    the americans have veterans day.
  • Options
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]We're actually staying in Soissons next weekend, not far from where the armistace was signed - there is a gun carriage memorial there.

If you've not been before, there's a great chateau at Pierrefonds that's well worth a visit.... probably about a 30 mins drive from Soissons if I remember rightly...
  • Options
    JUST HAD A THOUGHT!LETS START A MATCH DAY THEME AT CHESTERFIELD.

***OPERATION POPPY*** after all weve had boro and fUlham, how about we all wear them to the Chesterfield game. after all they dont clash with the kit and it would be a bit of respect to our hero's of yesteryear. you never know it may inspire the team, and it would show the Spirites that Charlton are both friendly and respectful, even if we are a bit short on the hero's on the pitch at the moment. must go and get one for the match.
  • Options
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]On the flip side my great great Uncle was William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) who was a British fascist with Sir Oswald Mosley and went to Germany at the outset of the war and became the voice of Nazi propaganda in broadcast to the UK from Germany.

He was a Palace fan as well lol.

Germany Calling, Germany Calling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] Medders:[/cite]
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]We're actually staying in Soissons next weekend, not far from where the armistace was signed - there is a gun carriage memorial there.

If you've not been before, there's a great chateau at Pierrefonds that's well worth a visit.... probably about a 30 mins drive from Soissons if I remember rightly...

Cheers Medders. As far as I know Captain FB has got the itenary sorted already knowing him. I know we're eating in a Michelin 2 star restaurant on Saturday outside Soissons, it had better be good from what I've been told of the prices.
  • Options
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]On the flip side my great great Uncle was William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) who was a British fascist with Sir Oswald Mosley and went to Germany at the outset of the war and became the voice of Nazi propaganda in broadcast to the UK from Germany.

He was a Palace fan as well lol.

Germany Calling, Germany Calling.

Crikey! My guise is falling apart left right and centre this week!! Darn you pesky kids!!
  • Options
    [cite] Addickted:[/cite]Cheers Medders. As far as I know Captain FB has got the itenary sorted already knowing him. I know we're eating in a Michelin 2 star restaurant on Saturday outside Soissons, it had better be good from what I've been told of the prices.

Stick with the frogs legs mate, taste like chicken......