Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathan Fortune

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
I feel gutted for him getting a 3 game suspension.

Yes it was stupid and unprofessional to lamp the bloke after the whistle but I thought he had an excellent match and really seems to have grown in confidence since the arrival of Sodje.

I know for a lot of fans he is one of the scapegoats but I have a lot of time for Jon. He has often played through serious injury and has never publicly thrown his toys when dropped from the team unlike others we could name.

He showed loyalty in deciding to fight for his place rather than take the move to Stoke which was just as well with Diawara chasing the dollar and Paddy lacking the necessary quality.

He is a proper Charlton player and it is a great shame the positive momentum he has built up over the season has been lost even if it is his own fault.

Comments

• Options
    1. Stupid, stupid, stupid - what he did on Sat;
    2. Not sure he stayed out of loyalty - more likely to be due to the Prem contract Dowie had given him.

Agree he has been playing well with Sodje, which is why I am so angry with him for losing it.
  • Options
    Bad timing for the ban to be honest.

Inexcusable and unprofessional.

Maybe he just wanted some time off for Chrimbo
  • Options
    gotta say I think he stayed because of Premiership contract!!
  • Options
    that and not wanting to live in Stoke !!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Maybe he just wanted some time off for Chrimbo
    That's what I thought!
    I have a friend who was a semi-pro and he used to make sure a couple of weeks before Christmas he picked up a booking that meant he had to miss the Christmas game.

Perhaps Fortune stayed because he has a nice big comfortable pay cheque here - agree that he has been good with Sodje. Hopefully Bougherra will too.
  • Options
    I think that he just needed some time off to get his Christmas shopping done! At least he waited till the last minute rather than us playing half a game with 10 men.
  • Options
    Spoke to him after the game on Saturday and he was gutted proper gutted couldnt believe he had done it. Said the big fella Lee had stamped on him in the challenge before and then was mugging him off and Forts just switched and flung an arm at him. Cant say that most wouldnt have done it to be honest but going into the baggies game a bit more profesionalism from Forts and Millsy could have seen us through
  • Options
    Question for the disgusted

Was it any worse than Danny Mills wrestling the guy to the floor ? Which everyone found hilarious and gave a big cheer to ?
  • Options
    Surely you just appeal and it gets cancelled........Shearer managed it when he lumped Forts a few years back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Question for the disgusted

Was it any worse than Danny Mills wrestling the guy to the floor ? Which everyone found hilarious and gave a big cheer to ?

Both as bad as each other - I certainly didn't cheer Mills - he was very lucky to get away with it. He's treading a fine line between winding up the oppo and getting himself in a lot of trouble. Just like Thatcher, there will be a moment when he lets us down badly at a crucial time, I fear. Sorry to be Mrs Sensible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From what I've seen of it, it seems a waste of a three game ban. If you're going to get sent off at least knock him out eh? I mean, you get three matches for a right hook or some poncy slap so make the most of it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I feel gutted for him getting a 3 game suspension.

Yes it was stupid and unprofessional to lamp the bloke after the whistle but I thought he had an excellent match and really seems to have grown in confidence since the arrival of Sodje.

I know for a lot of fans he is one of the scapegoats but I have a lot of time for Jon. He has often played through serious injury and has never publicly thrown his toys when dropped from the team unlike others we could name.

He showed loyalty in deciding to fight for his place rather than take the move to Stoke which was just as well with Diawara chasing the dollar and Paddy lacking the necessary quality.

He is a proper Charlton player and it is a great shame the positive momentum he has built up over the season has been lost even if it is his own fault.

Good post Len - I used to work with John Fortunes best mate and he always told me that John was really grateful by the professionalism and the way he had genrally been treated at Charlton. Of course money has a lot to do with players decisions, but then that's a major part of any work related issues you have. I for one have never thought of him as the greatest player but he does a job and as you say it seems as if him and sodje are getting it together and after a worrying start and a couple of blips we could we way worse off in goals against.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Spoke to him after the game on Saturday and he was gutted proper gutted couldnt believe he had done it. Said the big fella Lee had stamped on him in the challenge before and then was mugging him off and Forts just switched and flung an arm at him. Cant say that most wouldnt have done it to be honest but going into the baggies game a bit more profesionalism from Forts and Millsy could have seen us through

Anyone who has played competitive football at any level knows that 'losing it' with an opponent costs not only you your place in the team & a fine, but impacts on your team's next matches also.

As has been said, Jon Fortune needed to apply some self discipline & professionalism here. I'm sure Pards has already told him just that - but the deed is done now. And hopefully the lesson learned.

Having said that, I've always had a lot of respect for him. Charlton youth team product (striker alongside Derek Hales' son in those days!), Forts has always been a great club player. Under-rated by most, who are quick to pick up on any error or hestitancy, he rarely gets the credit due for doing much of the covering & grunt work in defence.
    The fact that he's been in and around the first team for many seasons now shows that he's always been valued by management.

Jon seems a nice guy - I just think everybody is a bit surprised that he was the one that saw the red mist.
    And judging by what he said to NLAddick, no one is more surprised than Forts himself!
  • Options
    Not as though he has a record of lashing out - just one of those days when red mist descends unexpectedly.
  • Options
    He got fined by the club the most they were allowed to fine him. Money from fines gets split at the end of the year for charities.
  • Options
    There was a lot of stuff going on in that game. Mills was lucky not to get into trouble for his wrestling effort and he has had a few moments during the last few games.Fortune has played well this season and has looked a more composed player IMO.
    He lost the plot for a moment on Saturday, he's been fined and banned. Can't recall any other time he has reacted like that. He made a mistake, but he is unlikely to do it again in a hurry, so let's give him a break eh.
    I would also agree with other posts on here about him, I met him a few years back, and he seemed a decent bloke, with no apparent big time attitude, just a Charlton player you could respect.
  • Options
    Always thought he was a good professional never quite good enough to be one of the best. Needs a good solid player next to him to bring the best out of him, his best stint being when he played in the famous Young, Fish, Costa, Fortune formation and Jorge showed him the ropes.

Saturday was just one of those things, we all have those days - mine manifested itself when i threw a hole punch at the office wall. His biggest penalty will be the loss of his 1st team place and the chance Bhougherra has of getting in over three matches.
  • Options
    Interestingly Parkinson pointed out that this season is the first time in his career that Fortune is regularly playing two games a week, and his goal should really be to get a full season under his belt.