Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Inter-family rivalries

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
As a follow up to the generation thread, where do other team loyalties lie within your family ?

What's the game you look forward to the most because all your wife's family support Leicester, for example.

How funny have the last ten years been as your dad and brother support Millwall.....

Comments

• Options
    so everyone's family supports Charlton then, great !!
  • Options
    Grandad who sadly passed away Saturday, My Dad & myself all Charlton both my cousin's from Dad's side Charlton, Cousins from other side err don't like football prefer squash (The Game, not the drink)
  • Options
    Mum, Sister, Brother, Little Sister & Brother in Law are Spurs. Dad and I are Charlton.

Used to be good banter, last year was rubbish but this year has been wonderfully quiet.
  • Options
    Married into a Geordie family so obviously Newcastle for me.
  • Options
    bit complicated to be honest

I support charlton primarily because they are my local team - born lewisha, lived in eltham most of my childhood so supported them for that reason. when my mum remarried she married a charlton fan so helped.

my step brother on my dad's side supports west ham despite living in welling so have a bit of rivalry with him.

my wife's dad was greek - but liked liverpool but mainly just liked football - sadly only went a few times with me and my son but was really looking forward to coming to wembley with us but sadly passed away last april before he could manage it. - her mum is portugese and not really into football so no rivallry there
  • Options
    The Mrs is a gooner cos of her dad who is a gooner and actually played for their youth team. His granddad was an original Woolwich Arsenal Player.
    They all have a soft spot for the Addicks though so its not too bad.

My mum's side of the family were all Millwall fans which used to be a pain but now is quite amusing. Funilly enough, allot of them have seen the light and have started going to the Valley.

Some of them have been going for 15 years now!
  • Options
    Most of mine are all Charlton

in laws a mix of Yids And Hammers
  • Options
    Father-in-law is Spurs, brother-in-law West Ham.

Apart from that. it's Charlton all the way.
  • Options
    My family all Charlton (and Rangers :-0) apart from my Niece's partner who is a yid but goes to Charlton now..
  • Options
    my uncle is chelsea, which fuelled my families hatred for them, as he is married to my dad's sister who is charlton, and my dad and gdad and other cousins are all Charlton. When they had their son Liam, my godson/cousin, we bought him Charlton stuff and he was a Charlton fan until on Christmas day when he was about 10 he walked up to my g'dad in his house with all of his Charlton stuff in a bag and handed it to him and said "Charlton are poo. I support Chelsea" my nasty Chelsea supporting uncle thought it was hilarious and put him up to it.

I remember the game at Stamford Bridge when we lost 2-1 when Sasa got knocked out. we came out of there and met up with my uncle and he said smugly "we played like s**t and we still beat your"

I paid £35 for that ticket, i wasn't earning that much, we couldn't see when the ball went above a metre cos of the stand above us, we got spat on, they threw stuff at Sasa as he was being carried off. I vowed never to go back again. which I never have, till the £20 cup game when we dumped them out. Loved that.

Liam now, on every family occasion wears the Chelsea tracksuit. He now has a Chelsea season ticket with his dad and sits in the corner so if Chelsea are at home we can always see him, and I shout at the telly. he's 15 now, and Chelsea through and through.

Grrrrr.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone in my family is Chelsea apart from me.
  • Options
    Most of the in laws are charlton, except one who's palace, one who's millwall & her step-dad & nephew are the only ones who have any football knowledge being fellow hammers. So tend to have a good bit of banter with the charlton lot & the millwall fan, particularly last season.

My side are mainly west ham except for my grandad who was a gooner, and cousin a yid (have plenty of banter with him).
  • Options
    Brothers in law (brother in laws?) on wifes side are Yids as are my nephews (their sons).

My sisters husband is a Barnsley fan but, to his disgust, their son is a Chelsea fan (probably their nearest club to be fair) and their daughter is a plastic Man U fan.

I've taken all the kids on both sides to The Valley but no effect I'm afraid!
  • Options
    The Lass is Charlton but ALL her family are Spurs - I'm really looking forward to the Christmas get together and reminding them that two of their strikers came from us and thanks for £16m.
  • Options
    Dad is Charlton
    father-in-law is Millwall
    uncle is Chelsea

none of the rest of the family really care..
  • Options
    Dad- Charlton
    Both Grandads-Charlton
    Uncles- Charlton
    In-laws - Charlton

Cant bloody escape em can i!!!!!
  • Options
    Im sorry I just dont understand how you can have different teams in the same family.

All my family are Charlton, my wife is now Charlton, my kids will be Charlton, their kids will be Charlton.

How can you have a brother or sister that supports another team, I dont geddit.

Brother in law, father in law fair enough, but dad, uncle or brother is madness.
  • Options
    In-laws - All Charlton
    Father - Took me to my first Game and up until ill health prevented him attending was a ST holder in the West
    Mother - Either West Ham or Arsenal (Don't ask)
    Most of my Uncles and Cousins are Millwall, apart from my youngest cousin who is married to the son of Arsenal's kit man, and he played for Dulwich Hamlet.
  • Options
    there have been numerous references to the 'Yids' and I was wondering whether this should be declared as being racist.

I mention this as last year I was pulled up at work for sending a jokey football related email around the office which included this term of endearment.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My Family

Dad's side - all Charlton (lots go) except one branch who supports Chelsea but we don't talk about them.
    Mum's side - all Charlton.
    Wife's Dad - Not interested but says he likes Charlton. Don't see anybody else on his side.
    Wife's Mum - Not interested. Took Wife's Cousins Husband and two boys to their first game Saturday. We have high hopes.
    Wife's Sisters family - all fecking Palarse!!.....:-( Serious and continuous wind ups from me and them everytime we meet, including me video taping myself singing "we sent the Palace down" and adding it to the start of a home movie of a joint holiday we went on a couple of years ago...:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dad - Arsenal
    Mum - Man Utd
    Brother 1 - ex Arse (now more CAFC) but he is OB so not sure if that counts
    Sister 1 - Not interested in stupid football but was Arsenal, lives in Singapore so I guess she is now Man Utd
    Sister 2 - Not interested in stupid football, worryingly lives in Palace area (bromley) her kids are Arsenal thanks to misguided brother in law
    Brother 2 - ex man Utd, now glad to say CAFC through and through, though his job dictates that a lot of games are hospitality
    Brother 3 - ex Arsenal, though more a rugger bugger now, since attending Sandhurst would never admit to having any interest in association football, prefers desert games in Afghanistan now

no real battles, just lots of ggod old banter, especially when we were winning 4-1 at Highbury a few years ago, my phone was red hot that day.
  • Options
    My old man and family all millwall.

Me n me Brothers, all charlton, 2 younger not hardcore but they will tell you they support charlton. Basically we all should be Millwall but we aint! Dont mind millwall because of this, used to go down the old den with me dad, used to enjoy it but was only between 7 and 11 so please forgive!
  • Options
    all my familly are charlton, but im having trouble with my 3 1/2 year old boy, hes got 3 charlton and a cardiff shirt he tells everybody bluebirds are his team it doesnt help when its a 5 minute walk from our house. but preston on march 8th is his initiation.
  • Options
    Dad - Preston
    Mum - Gillingham
    Brother - Liverpool
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]all my familly are charlton, but im having trouble with my 3 1/2 year old boy, hes got 3 charlton and a cardiff shirt he tells everybody bluebirds are his team it doesnt help when its a 5 minute walk from our house. but preston on march 8th is his initiation.

There are plenty of years to put him right. My eight year old has been a Manc (Utd), Palarse, Norwich, Barcelona all before he made it to his 6th birthday. Since when, fingers crossed he seems to have fixed on the Addicks. I'm under no illusion though. I doubt he'll be settled until he is a teenager.
  • Options
    Brother in law and all his family are Everton, so on the odd occasion we have beaten Everton that has been good, I know, I know, scousers in the family lowering the tone.....

Wife was already Charlton and her family not really into football but Charlton if pushed. My family all Charlton; I guess one or two of my Uncles might not be but I never see them the only one I do see is Charlton and all my cousins are as well.

When Brother in Law lived in London he came to the Valley more often than he saw Everton.
  • Options
    Dad - Charlton (thank you Dad)
    Mum - Man Ure (blurgh!)
    Sister 1 - hasn't a clue about football
    Sister 2 - never bothered with football unless it's England & even then watches mostly behind the cushion
    Sister 3 - Man Ure cos of Mum but lives in Birmingham & her Hubby is a Baggie, her eldest son is a Villa/Charlton fan (my influence, aah hem), her middle son a Man Ure & the youngest a Liverpool fan.............it's great fun in their house sometimes I can tell you!
    Bruv - The legend that is KB & more to blame for..........
    Me - CAFC til I die!

My Hubby is a Spud, but now has a Charlton season ticket & all his family, coming form the Northest of North Wales are all Man Ure fans.

Phew.............
  • Options
    Both parents are Charlton season ticket holders. Sister never goes to matches any more, but still identifies as a Charlton fan (although she had late teenage flirtation with QPR due to a now ex-boyfriend). Brother in law is a gooner, but has probably seen Charlton in the flesh more often than his own team now. He came to the play-off final with us, and even came in the away end with us at Highbury once (the 5-3 defeat iirc) as Mum had to give up her ticket to take my sister wedding dress shopping. At the moment my niece is a neutral, and is more interested in playing than watching.
  • Options
    Dad is Charlton/Rangers
    Mum is Charlton but used to be Leeds (To annoy my uncle)
    My Uncle is Charlton but used to be Man Utd
    My Cousins are Charlton apart from one who is Reading but used to be Chelsea
    My other Uncle is Reading but still is Chelsea as well (How?????)
    My sister is Charlton by default even though the last 3 geezers she has been out with have been spuds - I think she's scared of going out with a charlton fan due to the fact any kind of family function would be a one subject conversation - pretty much is already.
    My wife is Charlton by default and can claim to have seen Charlton play abroad at Utrecht (Even if it was a friendly)
  • Options
    In my small family, me and my brother are the only ones who actually support a club, both Charlton, while everyone else is now Charlton by association. On the wife's side, her whole family are Charlton, so never really have this banter.