Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 13th December 1987. Spurs 0 Charlton 1

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Sunday 13th December 1987. Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Campbell 83). White Hart Lane. Att: 20,393.

Spurs: Parks, Hughton, M Thomas, Samways, Fairclough, Mabbutt, C Allen, P Allen, Waddle, Stevens, Claesen. Unused subs: Statham, Moncur.

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Gritt, Shirtliff, Thompson, Peake, Campbell, Williams, Jones, Mortimer. Unused subs: Stuart, Mackenzie.

Referee: Ray Lewis (Great Bookham, Surrey).

Spurs keeper Parks suffered a cut tongue, two chipped teeth and a bruised chin when he and Williams went for a 50/50 ball. Campbell, following up, scored Charlton's controversial winning goal.

The previous week, the Addicks had drawn at home to the league champions Everton 0-0 in front of just 7,208 spectators. This prompted manager Lennie Lawrence to say "It's a sad indictment of football in South london when only 7,000 want to come and see the current champions.

Lawrence's retort was surprising, because it had long been recognised that it didn't matter who the opposition was, thousands of Charlton fans had turned their backs on the club. They were just not interested in in seeing their club play on a foreign field.

Comments

• Options
    I was there, great day.

Look at that crowd :)
  • Options
    Come on Southend - Tottenham have always been a big club! I wasn't at this one but that was a good team and including the subs better than the Spurs one I would say on paper.
  • Options
    i was there fantastic day. spurs absolutely battered us that day but shirtliff and thommo were unbelievable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I was there, great day.

I was also at the game - I think this was my first Charlton away game and I recall giving some my old friends who were spurs fans some stick. Just over three weeks after the game I was to move to a dump called Worksop.
  • Options
    Parks momentum in coming for the ball led to his face banging into Williams' boot, which he had just grounded and never lifted until after the contact. Perfectly valid goal - although I clearly would've been calling the referee a c*** if it had been the other way round!

Also, wasn't this an early ko on the Sunday? I seem to remember getting there well early and the game finishing mid afternoon. Anyone remember why? (It wasn't on TV)
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I was there, great day.

Just over three weeks after the game I was to move to a dump called Worksop.

Hah! my ex-missus moved to Worksop. If you meet her Charlie, you're welcome to her..... (!)

:o)
  • Options
    I sat in the Spurs end with a couple of guys from work for this one.

Somehow managed to keep myself in check when we scored!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

Also, wasn't this an early ko on the Sunday? I seem to remember getting there well early and the game finishing mid afternnon

yeah i think it was a midday kick off and bloody freezing as well but the late goal certainly warmed things up
  • Options
    We had a good turnout that day I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]We had a good turnout that day I think.
    yeah it wasn't bad for us ...... edited i thought i was posting about west brom in the cup moons ago;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there too - had a right barney about the goal with some Spurs supporting friends afterwards! Perfectly legit, but not very often given!!
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this was my first away game too, my only memories are my dad sitting me on the bars you lean on in the terraces for a bettr view and me falling off during the celebrations when we scored. I was only eight..
  • Options
    great day,,,,,,,in their boxes
  • Options
    I went for a hotdog and missed the goal.
  • Options
    Fond memories and can't believe it was 22 years ago. If I remember rightly David Pleat had just been sacked for alledgedly kerb crawling and after we scored a corus of '' Bring back the pervert '' erupted in the away end.
    A classic lyrical moment.
  • Options
    A great awayday this one. We were well worth the win, Willo was denied in the first half by the keeper & post & the delay after we scored to when spurs kicked off seemed to be forever, was convinced the ref would dis-allow it at the time. Think we had Three blocks in the away end (Standing) which was not a bad turn out.
  • Options
    A few of us from my school went to this one. Early kick off on a sunday lunchtime if i'm right. Did not have a clue what was the nearest stn so got off the tube at Seven Sisters and made the long walk to the ground.

First away win of the season i think and could not wait for school next morning. One of Venables first games in charge for Spurs.
  • Options
    I was at this one with my Dad and younger brother who was a Spurs fan and had to sit in the wooden seats in the away end with us. When we scored he just sat there while everyone else danced around looking so glum I almost felt a little bit sorry fo rhim.

Why was it a Sunday lunch-time match?

So the Spuds could do their Christmas shopping on the Saturday?
  • Options
    I was there and have to confess I was in the home end as I went with some Spurs fans and, being 14 at the time, my Ma & Pa wanted me to stay with them. All of which meant I had a perfect view of Campbell's goal and had to keep quiet!

I recall there was a lengthy delay in awarding the goal while Spurs players remonstrated with the ref. It was only after Paul Miller pointed out to the ref that the scoreboard had changed to SPURS 0 CHARLTON 1 that he gave the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Campbell's soup
  • Options
    If memory serves me right Clive Allen ran about 80 to 90 yards to protest about the goal . Great game and it was the kick start we needed that season ,
  • Options
    This game took place on the day I was born. It has further significance for me as my Dad's a Spurs fan.
  • Options
    In those days a crowd of 20,000 was considered good. Even Man Utd were only getting 30-40,000 at home. We always had to rely on huge away turnouts at Selhurst to bump up the crowds. Our highest was 28,000 against Liverpool.

Remember going to this one on the Sunday quite confident. It was an excellent win for us at the time.
  • Options

thousands of Charlton fans had turned their backs on the club. They were just not interested in in seeing their club play on a foreign field.

27 years on and it's still true , we're just not interested in seeing us play on a foreign field
  • Options
    Strangely, I've managed to expunge this from my brain