Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

kiely - still bitter, or a rehashed story??

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0300charlton/0100news/tm_headline=kiely-disappointed-at-curbishley-s-role-in-exit-from-valley%26method=full%26objectid=20246744%26siteid=50100-name_page.html

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2007
    he's not bitter about charlton is he? just not a fan of curbishley... "he turned into a right wotsit"

not sure i should put that. ill edit it in a minute.

but him and varney need to get a room!!!
  • Options
    good honest interview
  • Options
    yeah I agree, funny int it..
  • Options
    ha ha B, that's brilliant
  • Options
    A WBA fan at work said the other day when i asked him to describe his thoughts on Kiely, "great shot stopper, doesn't command his area, and useless at kicking the ball". So he hasn't changed much then.
  • Options
    so he only has fond memories of Toddy then,how forgiving.
  • Options
    you couldn't blame him for being bitter.

Legend at the club END OF - best keeper by a distance over that period of time ( Carson was great but only one season)
  • Options
    i let my kiely obbession get in the way of my better judgment. One of my most embarrassing football experiences - and there are many. I was pissed watching blackburn at home in the carling cup and sitting very near the home dug out.

It was Kiely's first game back after a long absence after andersen had taken his place. Deano makes a great save and i yelled out "see that curbs? thats proper keeping that is"... well he turned in my direction and yelled "shut ittttt"... I curled up with shame while my mates cried with laughter and shame for being sat with me.

Thats the game we were winning 2-0 then after that little episode we eventually lost 3-2 so I was even more ashamed.
  • Options
    remember deano's absolute shit kick out which cost us the second goal,Did curbs turn around and give it back after that B.If only he could kick.
  • Options
    No i dont think he did.. i cant remember. i had buried my head at that stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lol love it curb it that's legendary.
  • Options
    Factually the article is lightweight:

"Kiely left The Valley to join Portsmouth in a £1million deal in the 2006 January transfer window after picking up an injury in pre-season and failing to displace teenage keeper Stephan Andersen.."

Andersen was 25 at the time and not a teenager, and had at least one Danish cap plus consderable experience at U21 level and arrived at Charlton not as a untried/untested trainee but for around £750K. Unfortunately you can only play one keeper at a time and that meant that Kiely, who had been a first team regular for the previous few seasons did some bench warming after Andersen had taken his place and did nothing wrong, at least in the first few matches. This article looks like warming up old news to make a story.
  • Options
    great keeper without a doubt

Worst kicker without a doubt LOL
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I believe the number of clean sheets he has kept during his career stand comparison with the best keepers around. (I realise that it also depends on how good is the defence in front of a keeper).

For me, he was the best keeper we had at the club during my time as a supporter. Sure kick outs were a problem sometimes for him and we tend to remember them. I just remember faultless after faultless displays by him against top players/teams. One match against Birmingham away stands out in my mind. We won the game and both keepers had blinding games. Kiely and Taylor kept trumping each other with better and better saves until right at the end when Kiely made an incredible save from Dugary. Sure he saved it with his chest but he flung himself in the way to stop it.

I still wish he played for us.
  • Options
    Play for us now? Deano was legendary playing for us in his prime.
    He's 37 now & had a bit of a mare in his last game West Brom 2 Coventry 4 - he was all over the place.

See the match highlights on the Virgin Media site.

But has been a quality keeper.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Deano and Chrissy at the back and with Kins having hung up his boots last season to take up the coaching role maybe we could tempt him out of retirement.

Football is a cruel business and Deano was upset at the way he was treated when he left, feeling that he was owed a place because of all the good years he had put in at the club, the same was the case with Kins. The art of management is knowing when to get rid of your best players and I think Curbs got it almost right but not quite, maybe both of them could have gone during the close season prior to their departure.