Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We will not go up...

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
...if this display is anything to go by..
1.Defensively inept....sorry Powell has had it....Baggy hasn't got it.

2. Midfield too powder-puff...Ambrose back to his gay-boy self.

3. Attack too green.

Money needs to be spent..

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    Bit harsh as think WBA were very good and will definitley go up and hopefully we'll go with them but yes we do need to strenghten at the back thats for sure.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite].

Its just my opinion, no need for the insult. We were second best in all departments today...
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]

Its just my opinion, no need for the insult. We were second best in all departments today....

God what is it with everyone today!!!

Im outta here. Have a good weekend everyone and chill FFS!!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]

Its just my opinion, no need for the insult. We were second best in all departments today...

we've just had four successive away wins without conceding a goal and yet people can't wait to come on all doom and gloom as soon as we get beat. Yes, it's just your opinion - and my opinion is that you are a plank for coming out with that post.

With hindsight, maybe that was a bit harsh - so I apologise. I guess we're all just disappointed right now, but there's still a long long way to go.
  • Options
    West Brom are the best side in the division and probably have the strongest squad, as they've shown to us today. Watford are probably the most effective, but they've been shaky in the last couple of weeks. I think West Brom will finish as champions, then its between us, Watford and Wolves for the second automatic place.
  • Options
    Watford are losing at home, we are still in the play-offs and lost to probably the best team in the CCC and with a makeshift defence - neither Semedo nor Powell are first choice full backs.

With a bit of luck we could have had something out of this game - Varney and McLeod both missed chances.
  • Options
    A long, long way to go yet.

At this time last season people were looking at the table - and saying Cardiff & West Brom to go up.

When we were last promoted we were 4th or 5th at this stage of the season and Huddersfield were clear at the top of the table.

Huddersfield finished outside the top 6.
    And we could never tell at that point that in March we would be 17 points clear before winning the Championship.

A long way to go.
  • Options
    We could have lost 7-2 or drawn 4-4 or even won 4-5, whatever. I thought today was a great day and a great advert for football. For all the gloom merchants lets remember our right back 1st half was third choice, 2nd half fourth choice. Our left back arguably would be fifth choice if all our injured and loaned left backs were available. Our replacement centre back has only played a few games this season and we were playing against the best attacking team in the division. For the optimists as long as we have these defensive issues we will have problems getting promoted, we don't convert enough goals - hence we have one of the best defensive records in the division and one of the poorer offensive records at the top.

We still have a great chance of going up either automatically or in the play offs, we are 2 points off automatic, we have the opportunity to add quality to our squad in the January window. There are no outstanding teams in this division, although WBA today came close to it.
  • Options
    It's worth bearing in mind that with Watford losing had we won today right now we'd be top.

We are half-way through the season and have a mostly new squad, there's a lot of football left to play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After the first couple of matches, I think most of us on here would have been happy to be 3rd or 4th in the table leading up to Xmas.

Promotion? It's a long way to go - but we're very much on course.
  • Options
    Its still a two year plan to get promoted. Worried that Reid is injured and got a feeling he has been playing we this injury. No big Chris. Though I really like Izzy we should keep him. Need an experienced centre back in Jan.
  • Options
    it's just one defeat in probably the calendar's toughest away fixture, so I still think we will go up.
  • Options
    despite todays result and always tending to veer towards negativity , i think we're definitely gonna be in the play offs at least , the league outside west brom, watford and ourselves is a very poor standard a lot worse than i thought it would be and from thinking we'd finish mid table earlier on in the season i know we'll finish top 6
  • Options
    Shock, horror. What started as all doom and gloom, this thread then ended positively. How refreshing
  • Options
    We're doomed!!! Not positive now :-)
  • Options
    After a period of reflection, I'll retract my comments but still think money needs to be spent...something Pardew agrres with according to the NOTW.

Gump the Plank.
  • Options
    We lost to the best side in the league, although Gera and Greening will be attracting Premier league clubs no doubt, which could be problem for them. I didn't really expect we would get much from this game, and with Watford going through a bad run it's wide open at the top. I can see us getting better. After all we had a makeshift back line out there today.

Sorry Chrissy there were signs against Ipswich that you may be struggling, yesterday there were more than signs. If Mootu is fit I would put Mills on the left next week.
  • Options
    We've got home games against Hull and Colchester and aways against Norwich and Leicester. I would expect us to get 3 wins and a draw against these sides, even with injuries and suspensions taken into account.

I have no doubt that Pards will splash that cash next month, so expect us to get stronger, not weaker.

As others have said before, this time last time around we were 5th and then walked it (not that I expect that again), we could have gone top had we won today, plenty more games etc etc ad infinitum.

Plenty to be positive about as, taking into account that we were playing one of the (if not the) best footballing sides in the division, our ressies didnt do too badly....
  • Options
    We've been turned over by way too many teams so far this season. We're absolutely not going to win the title, that's for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4 points behind with 24 games to go so what a totally negative thing to say! Yes yesterday was a knock back and yes wba were good but so are we on our day and with a strenghten squad in January anythings possible. I still think it will be us and Wba who go up.
  • Options
    We just need a dominating midfielder to boss the midfield and give cover to our center halves. My vote goes to Alex Song.
  • Options
    I think you lot are being a bit hard on your team there, you looked very good in parts of the game without a doubt. Perhaps a playmaker for you would be a good buy?
  • Options
    Thanks WBA, I agree, its a long way to go between now and the business end of the season. I reckon that West brom and Charlton will be up there for the shake out, lots of positives yesterday and given the decimation of our defence, we ddi not do too bad. Good luck for the rest of the season and you can have the FA Cup tie.
  • Options
    I'm not going to tell everyone to calm down because those who love to moan will do regardless! We didn't do too badly yesterday, West Brom looked a very good side going forward and its no surprise they are the top scorers in the division. However on another day we could have come away with something from the game. We had a patched up side but still threatened so i'm not all doom and gloom. I think West Brom will win the league, but i'm pretty confident we'll come second which is the season objective.
  • Options
    Kap10 you can have the FA Cup tie. Would rather concentrate on the league to be honest. Of course a cup run is good but getting promoted is needed first though. Whether we(West Brom) win the league or come second i will be happy, so long as we get promoted and not have to go through the play off stages again, although they were good apart from the final. I just hate seeing a team win who were poor in my opinion. Now i know i sound a bit jealous or poor loser but ill admit when we dont deserve to win and that. But that Final we were the better team i feel, but i suppose you need to score rather than play better so fair enough, anyway going off-topic...

I think it will be very hard between us Charlton and Watford for top 2 definately. Will be a good January to see which team brings in the players or not to produce a good run for the top two places!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WBAGinge[/cite]Kap10 you can have the FA Cup tie. Would rather concentrate on the league to be honest. Of course a cup run is good but getting promoted is needed first though.

Pretty much what Pardew said when he made 10 changes for our league cup exit at Luton. No one will remember us getting to the cup quarted finals, everyone will remeber if we get promoted
  • Options
    We will def go up this season all teams can, will and do beat each other in this league we lost to the best passing team in the division with 2 key defenders missing our most attacking winger missing, witha a half fit striker who scored when injured and with Reidy injured, ZZ had one of his poor games and powelly showed that his age has shrunk his frame by an inch or 2.

Yes we got beat but certainly left the baggies with some pride and a little knowledge that they better be up for it at our place or they will get turned over.

Watford peaked too soon we have been inconsistant and picking up points without being flat out the same can not be said for Stoke,Bristol and Wolves
  • Options
    Must say I thought it was a great advert for Championship football. Thought West Brom played some really good stuff and much as Gera's goals were carbon copies of each other, even knowing what was going to happen it was very difficult to defend, the way they worked the space for Brunt to cross and the delivery were so good that I couldn't really be too harsh on the defence. We were at sixes and sevens for Phillips goal and I thought Sodje was caught ball watching a bit for their first.

For us though, I thought we started the game well, harried and countered for the first 20 minutes or so but ended the half under pressure. When WBA scored so early in the second half I thought we could be in for a torrid time of it but we rallied really well, played some nice football and I wouldn't have said that the equaliser was particularly against the run of play. In the end though they were just too strong for us, I think that injuries allowing we've got the talent within this squad to give them a better game but let's not forget this WBA team have been assembled over a much longer period of time and are far more settled, we're only just starting to settle in to knowing what our best 11 is.

On the whole, obviously not pleased with losing but I took heart from our performance and wasn't too disappointed either.