Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dont get rid of Izale McLeod

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
This guy is going to be class the next Darren Bent.

Comments

• Options
    I like Mcleod's pace and movement. Some confidence and finishing practice in training would make him a formidable striker at this level. I was impressed when he came on today. He seems to have the ability to get into goalscoring positions. Now just to work on his finishing but he was a positive from today.
  • Options
    I thought he did ok today just needs to pull the trigger earlier.
  • Options
    he did ok .but he drove me mad by running offside all the bloody time when we attacked thus delaying the pass.
  • Options
    oh please , yeah give the guy credit he looked a lot hungrier today than he has for a while but his touch and positional play isn't great and his goal (yes i know it doesn't matter how they go in) was a pathetic muffed/scuffed shot, imo he still looks like a poor player playing at too high a level for his abilities at the moment .
    he wont be as good as marcus never mind darren bent
  • Options
    Looked like a 'rabbit in the headlights' when he came on.
  • Options
    I'm sure he's no Darren Bent but I do see potential. It's amazing what some confidence can do.
  • Options
    He has hardly been given a chance - with Iwelumo looking doubtful to play Saturday McCloud/Varney looks a good but as yet unproven combination.

Darren Bent was caught offside more than most strikers too
  • Options
    I too think he's worth perserving with. He's got pace and can score goals. What he maybe lacks is confidence. As for maybe saying he ran offside too much I'd look at it as on many occasions the other players, esp ZZ (who was pants like Ambrose yesterday) delayed too long in playing the pass to him.
  • Options
    agreed. if pards can get someone creative in midfield who can spot a pass then the strikers would look far better
  • Options
    ambrose bottled it against Robinson yesterday big time.He didn't want to know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McLeod the new Lisbie. 10yrs from now we'll be saying "Oh lay of Izzy. All he needs is a few game......"

Having said all that jokingly, I do hope he gets given a chance. The last couple of times I see him, hes has impressed me. Just needs some confidence.
  • Options
    Mcleod looked very useful. Got into three good goalscoring positions and took one of them. Seemed to work well with Varney as well. Could be a good alternative for playing 4-4-2 at home.
    Ambrose is a waste of space playing out wide. Has to be in the middle or nowhere.
    Can't put too much blame on Powell. I'm sure Thatcher wouldn't have fared any better in the air against Gera. We were undone by two fantastic crosses, and by Sodje losing his man for their equaiser
  • Options
    i didn't think we went with runners all day and a lot of that rests with midfield
  • Options
    the reason why he kept running offside was because the midfield did not release the ball early enough, i agree with earlier post darren bent was caught offside enough times. We need a midfielder to think as quick as him eg' murphy did it for bent.
  • Options
    He changed the game when he came on. Having someone with pace up front, and making movements to get in behind the defence stretched WBA. Thought he looked excellent, caused them loads of problems.
  • Options
    I agree with those who say he's movement & pace are good.
    He's reading the game well and moving into the right positions.

Nothing wrong there.

But confidence is low. Everything good until he gets the goalscoring chance.
    Scared shitless he will mess up.

That's his only problem, he's scared of failing.
  • Options
    Hopefully the goal on Saturday will help his confidence.
  • Options
    McLeod's performance was the silver lining, sorry Big Chris but it is great to see some pace and movement up front for a change! And Izzy does look a bit like Dazza :-)
  • Options
    I'm so releived Izzy got his goal, one thing the guy has done consistantly is get in the positions to have a crack and get chances. Now he's finally finished one hopefully we'll see the player we're all hoping for.
  • Options
    Another good thing with McLeod is that when he came on he managed a couple of good flick ons with his head - better than big Chris. Give the lad a chance and see how he progresses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Izzy and Varney will be a good pair, Varney runs were clever on Saturday, gave West Brom all kinds of grief, and there was times when a quicker ball would have set Izzy free, but it didn't come
  • Options
    sorry - I fail to see anything good coming from paying McLeod

I didn't see much of him Saturday (though I was entertaining the family so may have missed his good bits

He clearly has ability but I just think this is a bridge too far at present
  • Options
    It's all about confidence, Swizzy. There's nothing wrong with his basic play and movement - he's just ridden with anxiety.

But he doesn't lack heart and courage. He took a first time swing with his wrong foot having got himself in the right position. Okay, he got lucky because the shot wasn't the best and the keeper misjudged - but he still was in the right position at the right time - that's a striker's instinct.

Maybe he should have swept home Hollands headed flick on near the end - but then maybe Holland should have put the header on target in the first place.

But he get's in the right places at the right time. He just needs decent service and enough chances not to worry about the ones he might miss.

Pards must have some faith in him. When Big Chris came off, he might have played Varney instead.
  • Options
    If he goes its a brave decision by Pards. It will be a financial loss which will not go down well with the Board. Izale will surely only go to a lower status club and may score goals there. So Pards will need to be sure hes got something better lined up and at a reasonable price and that the person/s can adapt quickly to make an impact in the second half of the season.

Interesting!!!