Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Magic

I'm hugely disappointed with him considering the fee paid what do you lot think?

Comments

• Options
    the same, but i just really don't know why he hasn't cut it

he was an absolute beast for sheffield wednesday, at the time of purchase he was the best centre half in the CCC
  • Options
    Why Sheff Wed was down the bottom when we got Magic.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]the same, but i just really don't know why he hasn't cut it

he was an absolute beast for sheffield wednesday, at the time of purchase he was the best centre half in the CCC[/quote]

Perhaps staking the step up to the Prem and being thrown straight in and not given time to adapt has knocked his confidence?

I'd still like to give him a chance as there is not doubting the guy's ability. We've seen it for Sheff Wed, so he's got it. Just needs to find it again..........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Why Sheff Wed was down the bottom when we got Magic.
    #

him and chris brunt were practically the only reasons they weren't finished by christmas, until the forwards got going in the new year and they kicked on towards the playoffs

one decent centre half can't make a team
  • Options
    Alright he hasnt lived up to the hype, but he hasnt been as bad as people are claiming. To be honest, i think with our defence this season having looked completely devoid of organisation, awareness, confidence and leadership (which begs the question why no-ones pointing the finger at Weaver...) for so long, anyone would have struggled.
  • Options
    I thought he was ok yesterday, as good as Fortune, although would agree we paid over the top for him, but we were desperate. Our problem was the full backs those crosses were difficult to stop
  • Options
    I don't think he had a bad game yesterday, the baggies were on form like the Arse were when we played then away last season.

I think he is a good player and pretty much agree with BrightonAddick as he didn't ask to be priced at what he was when we signed him. He had a solid game on his debut away at Manure and got injured in a nasty cowardly Saha tackle then when he was fit we were in the shit. Not going to do wonders for ones confidence is it now?
  • Options
    Majic is good - providing he plays in the right combination.

He's a confidence player. If he thinks he'll do well - then he will.

He also needs an aggressive dominant centre back beside him. Fortune was not that man. Sodje - maybe? but only maybe.
    He's also playing under restraint. He's not allowed to play that buccaneering game he was allowed to play at Sheff W.
  • Options
    Magic up at old trafford looked blinding he took players on and was not afraid to try a few drop shoulders to confuse strikers.

We are not letting him play football how he likes to which is surprising as we signed him as a ball playing centre half.

I reckon him and Diawara was the perfect foil

however with Forts and Sodje they are both prone to lapses in concentration so to put a player who takes risks with the ball alongside them is too risky, i wouldnt be surprised if we sign a strong confident centre half that it would be Magic alongside him
  • Options
    Boogy has looked dodgy to me since the first time I saw him. Not a solid defender. I too can't believe we paid so much for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think a few people are being overly critical but that appears to be the charlton fans way nowadays. McLeod has started 1 game yet people want him sold in January. As for Majic £2.5m for a centre half is not that bad particularly a young one with some international experience.

Personally I think he'll grow into a great defender given time not sure if it'll be a centre half or full back though. The inside track from coaches at the club describe him as the 'most gifted defender they have ever had at charlton' probably why they will stick by him at a guess.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Think a few people are being overly critical but that appears to be the charlton fans way nowadays. McLeod has started 1 game yet people want him sold in January. As for Majic £2.5m for a centre half is not that bad particularly a young one with some international experience.

Personally I think he'll grow into a great defender given time not sure if it'll be a centre half or full back though. The inside track from coaches at the club describe him as the 'most gifted defender they have ever had at charlton' probably why they will stick by him at a guess.

He certainly has the physical attributes and appears to have some pace too.

He is still relatively young for a defender so perhaps we (me included!) should try to remember that.

My initial impression I have to say though is El Karkouri without the goals.

Haven't most of the coaches only been at the club a few months? :-)
  • Options
    I'm with you there Kets may be at the high end of our budget now, but it's certainly not outlandish within the market in which we have to operate. He's got potential, and that's worth a lot at his and our level.
  • Options
    Ketman sums this one up for me, especially the first line. Although I doubt it is exclusive to Charlton, more a legacy of the immediacy that comes with having had a certain amount of success. We want results now, the players want a chance to get them more long term. The latter maybe more likely to get us success.
  • Options
    I thought he played OK on Saturday and still think he's got it in him to become a really good defender - like Ketman I wonder whether he might be better suited to full back.
  • Options
    I believe Pards signed him to be our 'Rio Ferdinand' playing the ball from the back and running forward with the ball - but only when there was good cover.

Because the spine of our team is generally physically lightweight, Pards probably has good reason to insist Majic plays a tight, cautious & disciplined game.

He also seems to be a confidence player. I remember when he came on as sub at home to Sheff Utd last season, he miskicked his first ball - and fumbled & dithered after that, too scared to play.

I'd love to see him play fullback or even centre mid. That ball winning, swashbuckling style he showed playing for Crewe & Sheff Wed in the Championship shows to me that he can be everything we dreamed of in midfield.

Last season, David Moyes tried to gazump our transfer at the last minute, offering a higher fee and wages, telling the press that he saw him as a terrific midfielder. But Magic turned him down and said he didn't want to play midfield.

A touch of the Koncheskys, maybe?