Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 18th December 1982. Charlton 3 Barnsley 2

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 18th December 1982. Charlton Athletic 3 (2) (Simonsen 31, Hales 44 53) Barnsley 2 (1) (Glavin 35, Cunningham 59) The Valley. Att 4,942

Charlton: Johns, Curtis, Aizlewood, McAllister, Gray, Berry, Simonsen, Harris, Hales, Gritt, Robinson. Unused sub: White.

Barnsley: Pierce, Joyce, Chambers, Glavin, Banks, McCarthy, Souter, Parker, Cunningham, Ronson, Birch. Unused sub: Airey.

Referee: D Letts (Basingstoke)

Sent off: Mick McCarthy, who had been booked in the 69th minute for a foul on Hales was sent off in the 85th minute for a foul on Simonsen.

* next up, a certain 13 goal thriller incuding full match report from 50 years ago this week

Comments

• Options
    Simmmmmmmmmmmmo. Legend. Look at that crowd. Still stuns me that he agreed to play for us. Wonder what he is doing now?
  • Options
    Agreed, still a legend to those that saw him in a Charlton shirt.

Never to be forgotten!

I know he coached Faroe Islands and Luxembourg for a while but not sure if he is still in football.
  • Options
    30 years and counting.
  • Options
    My dad told me we was at this game
  • Options
    I was there. I'm always there. Don't remember it though :-(
  • Options
    I was the mascot that day. One of the most memorable days of my life .
  • Options
    I was there, standing in the paddock between the covered end and the old West Stand. An enjoyable, if somewhat violent, running battle between the Killer and Mick McCarthy. We had that pretty terrible centre half, Nigel Gray, on loan from Orient - a man to keep the nerves jangling until the final whistle.
  • Options
    Was there under the clock with me dad.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I was there, standing in the paddock between the covered end and the old West Stand. An enjoyable, if somewhat violent, running battle between the Killer and Mick McCarthy. We had that pretty terrible centre half, Nigel Gray, on loan from Orient - a man to keep the nerves jangling until the final whistle.

That was where all the 'lads' stood in that particular era...remind me why not the Covered End had it become seated by 82??
  • Options
    I think the covered end became seated a bit earlier in April 1981, when we went up from the 3rd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes they put the seats in towards the end of that promotion season. Ruined the last few home games for atmosphere. Remember the last home game against Gillingham we were on the East Terrace up near the away end and the Gills fans were on the opposite side on that small terrace between the Main Stand and the away end! Strange set up that was!