Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great Defenders - I've had a great idea

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
When was the last time we had some genuinely great defenders at the club.

I've been an Addick for all of my 31 years and over the years I have seen some sublime and some ridiculous. But in reality why do all clubs hire Goalkeeping Coaches and Attacking Coaches. Who do we have marshalling our defence?

Pards was a midfielder......Parky was a midfielder.....Kinsella was a midfielder....Robson was a midfielder.....
Curbs was a midfielder.....Peacock was a striker.....Big Merv was a goalie......

I could go on but I'm bored...

In all of my years I think Tommy Caton, Richard Rufus, Colin Pates, Powell (in his heyday), John Humphrey, Luke Young...and then I am struggling to think of quality defenders. There is one more......

I really think we need a top class defender to come in and help us out a bit. Tony Adams is doing great things at Pompey...he was at Wycombe not so long ago (so not out of our reach)

Isn't it about time we got someone in with a lot of know how...a lot of experience.....

I know just the man

Jorge Costa

Ladies and Gents - how do we campaign to get this to happen. Let's make it happen

Idea copyrighted by Steve J Wisdom - AKA SWISDOM - 17th December 13:36

Comments

• Options
    Great idea, but I doubt somehow that he'd uproot his family for a coaching role having been managing Braga up until recently
  • Options
    He was sacked by Braga after only a few months so managing might not be for him...maybe he would like a new challenge

Once he learns about the english game he can use these skills for an assault on the Portuguese national team

He might bring some Portuguese buddies over for Mr Semedo too
  • Options
    how about we stop signing defenders on the basis of a good youtube video.
  • Options
    excuse me FFS

Shirtlff, Webster, Chappell - just kidding, - Sweaty Balmer , Mark Reid, Steve Thompson, Steve Brown won't let you down, steve gatting,

shirtliff and webbo miles better than Pates - who was alright if he didn't have to run -
  • Options
    ok Shirtliff and Webster were overlooked and great great defenders for us. Reid wasn't bad. Balmer I liked but was not what I would call classy. Steve Brown will always be fondly remembered but again was not amazing.

Steve Thompson....do me a favour! The word carthorse was invented for people like him. I was young but I remember him being the slowest man in history!

But most importantly Jorge Costa should be our defensive coach! Even if it's a 6 month loan deal like before. At least we might learn something from him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]excuse me FFS

Shirtlff, Webster, Chappell - just kidding, - Sweaty Balmer , Mark Reid, Steve Thompson, Steve Brown won't let you down, steve gatting,

shirtliff and webbo miles better than Pates - who was alright if he didn't have to run -

Excuse me! ;o)

Colin Pates was class on the ball. Calm & composed with a great first touch and he rarely made mistakes.
    Okay, he wasn't the fastest but if he was paired with a decent centre back (was it Joe McLoughlin or Tommy Caton in those days?), he was quality.

Quality enough to play for Arsenal when he left us.
  • Options
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Les Berry yet.
  • Options
    Steve Dowman - pure class!
  • Options
    Pates was a good defender but was only with us for about one year until Georgie decided to make him his 15th centre half in the Arsenal squad. He actually went on to play a fair bit in central midfield for the Arse, although that was more an indication of Graham's innate caution than any great playmaking ability of Pates.

We have had some very fine defenders over the last 10 years, Mills and Young were both England internationals, Humphrey and Rufus should have been capped (Rufus must wince that Ruddock and Lescott have both been capped) and there have also been class players like Shirtliff, Webster, Costa, Minto, Fish, Hermann and Mark Reid.
  • Options
    Fish? Tell me you've sneaked that one in for a laugh?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, on reflection, I think that may have been over egging the pudding.

I withdraw Fish and put in Talal El Khalej.
  • Options
    at number three is El Khalej, number four is...........................