Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Feel Good Films

Comments

• Options
    And here's another Scottish classic - Whisky Galore.

Great film - I got the Ealing Studios boxset last year - quite a number of feel-good films in that.
  • Options
    The Colour Purple and A Shawshank Redemption
  • Options
    Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell is best family film I've seen, so funny and works for kids and adults.
  • Options
    Have just watched the film WHAM, thoroughly recommended for anyone into 80s pop music and a great tribute to George Michael and Andrew Ridgley.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Have just watched the film WHAM, thoroughly recommended for anyone into 80s pop music and a great tribute to George Michael and Andrew Ridgley.
    I absolutely love George Michael's music. I think I saw the promotional video for this film on his Instagram page the other day. Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    You’re welcome Jessie.  It’s on Netflix by the way.
  • Options
    Rye Lane on disney +, fantastic little indie movie, a love letter to south london. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sitting Ducks…….A little known 1978 American cult following black comedy, about a couple of non street wise odd ball guys who rip off the mob and the bizarre antics they go through as they are relentlessly hunted down from state to state.
    Great characters, great acting, great story line and very funny.
    How this film has never got the acclaim it genuinely deserves is a complete mystery to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Passport To Pimlico.

• Options
    I missed this thread first time round 16 years ago. I read it from the start, a couple of mentions for Wonderful Life which is a very nice Christmas film. There is a Luc Beson film which is a sort of remake, Angel. Its in French so if you're like me you'll have to read your way through but its worth a look and, I think, equally enjoyable although a bit violent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waking Ned, a lovely film from the 90s.
    Intouchables, a french film about a rich quadriplegic and his hired carer from the poor part of Paris, based on a true story (remade as Upside in the US but best avoided)

• Options
    As good as it gets. 
    The imperious Jack Nicholson on top form.
  • Options
    Porkies. Still cracks me up some 40 odd years later.

Little side story for those that know the film..

I took my then girlfriend to the pictures to see porkies and halfway through she realised that she shared the same surname as one of the characters from one particularly memorable scene.

On our way home we stopped in our local for last orders and on reaching the door, she whispered in my ear that under no circumstances was I to mention that she shared the gym teachers name, Miss Honeywell. 

Too late, we walked through the door to be greeted by the whole, packed pub howling like banshees! My Miss Honeywell turned and fled!!

• Options
    Surprised nobody has said Pursuit of Happiness
  • Options
    Hope and Glory. Film about kid in the Blitz, real warmness to it.
  • Options
    I’d recommend two excellent comedies from the 90s (1992 and 1997 respectively).

My Cousin Vinny, starring Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei (who won an Oscar for her role). Directed by a guy called Jonathan Lynne who, amongst other things, co-created and co-wrote the television series Yes Minister.

Romy and Michele's High School Reunion - starring Mira Sorvini and Lisa Kudrow.

Both great fun.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Forrest Gump starring Mark Aizlewood sometimes known as Tom Hanks.
    Or The Warriors featuring Allan Simonsen as Luther.
  • Options
    Mickybo & me. Great little film.
  • Options
    Melody. 1971 film set in a south London school and starring Jack Wild and Mark Lester.  Beautifully acted and an excellent early bee gees soundtrack.
  • Options
    There are loads of feel good movies out there, but two of my favourites are,

Little Miss Sunshine 

and

The Hunt for The Wilderpeople.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As others have said, too many.

Probably between The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Threads and Watership Down.
  • Options
    A Matter of Life and Death. 
    Also Dances with Wolves.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Miracle on 34th Street.......I believe!
    I trust that’s the original.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Wanking Ned, a lovely film from the 90s.

• Options
    The secret of Santa Vittorio 1969…..starring Anthony Quinn.
  • Options
    school of rock 
  • Options
    Cinema Paradiso….1988.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

The boy in the striped pyjamas…..not what you’d call a feel good movie?
  • Options
    Cinema Paradiso….1988.
    I was moved to tears by the end of the film. I often play the main theme song at home. My parents and I all love it very much.

PopIcon said:

I agree. That's one of the saddest films I've ever seen and definitely will not watch again...
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Double feature with Schindler’s List for a laugh a minute afternoon of fun.