Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who and How Much Much

Pards indicated on Saturday in the after match press confrence that he has identifed the players he wants and that he will be meeting the chairman about making moves for the relevant players, who do we think they would be and more importantly, how much do you think the club will make available in the January transfer window

Comments

• Options
    Have no idea who but regards to how much it'll be considerably less than £2m total in my opinion unless a couple are moved out first, then maybe a little more.
  • Options
    think a few will get moved out, the board need to weigh it up, do the y go for it or just stick with whtwe have unless we dont go up
  • Options
    Based upon previous evidence that this is the stock practice for finding new players at CAFC, I have been spying on the network traffic in and out of Sparrow's Lane to see who they have been looking at on youtube and I offer some conjecture on the coaching staff's thinking. The top three are:

1) P Hilton: Good at the back, might need some work on her heading.
    2) P Anderson: Hops around clubs a lot, but is good as part of a pair up front.
    3) L Lohan: Quite a flashy player, be well chuffed if we can get this one in.
  • Options
    LoL!
  • Options
    brilliant!
  • Options
    I think we will have up to £5 m to spend - so of that from a few offloadings, Bent & Faye being the obvious two.

I don't believe we will get rid of Ambrose, Thomas, Reidy or anyone else from the current "team" - a few outsiders may depart, such as McCarthy or Mcloed ( not sure why 'cause I see potential in both of them) but Pawdew is building a squad to get us up and I'd be surprised if many leave as we may need to count on these bodies before the season is out.

As for the "ins".......no idea really. I still think we need a quality PROVEN goalscorer and another playmaker before looking at the defence. Main difference between us & WBA on Saturady was that they had a quality ex-premiership striker on the bench and we had an ex div 2 striker and once Reidy went off we had no creative force in midfield.

Song from Arsenal and Lita from Reading....Earnshaw maybe or one of the WHam boys.
  • Options
    Reid is likely to be out for a couple of weeks. Add his possible weight gain over Christmas and we need to get in more creativity. Song is the obvious choice, plus the fact that he can play at centre half, if required. I think McCarthy will move on, so we probably need another centre-back.

Sign Mills and Sodje permenently, as there is a limit to how many loans you can have, at once. We need to look at Arsenal and Chelsea reserve players, if we can afford the wages. Sidwell?

I can see ipswich trying to buy Ambrose back, after his performance against them and if the price is right, i'd let him go. We have enough in midfield.

Most of all, we need a striker who can score goals at this level. Nugent or Earnshaw, on loan.

A net spend of £2million, at most.
  • Options
    From Teamtalk:

Although Murray admits some new faces could be arriving at The Valley in the transfer window, he says current players may have to be sold to fund any purchases.

The chairman told the South London Press: "There won't be a big spending spree in January. We will be exploring all avenues available to us to bring in new faces - whether that is the loan market, player exchanges or buying people permanently.

"We will probably have to do some money raising exercises in order for us to make signings though, so some of our players may leave. It is a busy time and clubs will be looking at our players, as well as the other way around.

"I will be meeting with Alan soon and we will talk over all of our plans for the January window."
  • Options
    Surely they have already discussed player purchases. Sounds like Murray mint and pards are about to discuss things.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hornchurch[/cite]Reid is likely to be out for a couple of weeks. Add his possible weight gain over Christmas .

LOL. that made me laugh. He's like that bus from Speed; drops below 50 if blows up, Reidy's waistline is the same if he is out for two weeks !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2007
    i wouldn't worry - murray is bound to be keeping tight lipped, people know we are going to look to invest, interviews bigging up our "January warchest" are hardly going to do us any favours when it comes to value for money, clubs are going to try and screw you into the ground in january anyway

i'd expect a couple of short term/cheapo buys, a couple for fees not more than a combined total of £2/3m and the future of Mills secured (with sodje to follow in the summer)

the likes of McCarthy will probably be sacrificed and their will be plenty of takers in the CCC to recoup the low fee shelled out, as may one of thomas/ambrose given the emergence of Sam

Centre Half - Utility Defender (left sided preference) - Creativity/energy in the middle - Striker
  • Options
    Given our difficulties at left back presumably Youga will return?
  • Options
    Word is that we're lining up a bid for Jason Roberts.
    Not sure if that is a good thing or not??
  • Options
    reid to sunderland deffo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]reid to sunderland deffo

How come? Thought he had a 'gentleman's agreement' with Pards. Mind you, we're going to have to manage without him for a bit anyway - anyone know how bad his knee is?
  • Options
    I reckon we will have about £2m to spend plus some sales which may include Ambrose to one of his former clubs. A suprise unmentioned so far addition may well be the boy from Burnley, Andy Gray + a centre half.
  • Options
    i think andy gray is a very very long shot - getting on a bit, wrong side of 30 and having a flukey purple patch, binned by numerous clubs in the past

i think we need to make sure our striker purchase at least has a reasonable shot of making it in the premiership next year (as with all our fee buys) given that's our goal
  • Options
    i can't see us getting quality permanent players in but realistic ones i would look at maybe getting in on loan
    defenders
    james collins - whu
    robert huth - boro, but has lived/played in london
    midfielders
    alex song - ars, though while arsenal are still in 4 comps it's unlikely
    tom huddlestone - spurs, ramos has a problem with his weight but i still think he is a very good ball player.
    wayne routledge - spurs, but only if someone comes in for thomas/reid.
    forwards
    henri camara - whu, seems to have been frozen out by curbs (unless he is injured or already on loan somewhere)
    marlon harewood - villa, not currently playing for o'niell and again has london connection.
    gary o'connor - birmingham, i think he was the one banging em in for a russian side and hasn't yet really been given a fair crack at birmingham.
    i also thought that if big chris got injured then shefti kuqi would have been a good signing, but he is now getting regular football at fulham.

but once again, i dont think we are in a decent enough financial situation to attract prem class permanent players.
  • Options
    What about the Scunny Centre Half who scored against us, we seemed to think he looked good. Regarding Sodje, if we fail to get promotion I'd snap him up, if we get promotion I'd let him go back to reading, sadly not a Prem centre half
  • Options
    Striker - Jason Roberts (loan, view to perm), Rob Earnshaw, Brian McBride.

Would prefer Roberts, when he is fit he is a real handful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roberts would be decent
  • Options
    Roberts........noooooooooo. Another Marcus Bent if you ask me
  • Options
    I don't think so Golfie, from what I have seen and heard of Roberts he is not in the Bling Brigade by any stretch of the imagination and has been a more consistent Premiership scorer than Bent (not that that is saying much).

He scored 14 Premiership goals for Wigan in 2005/2006 and 21 for them in the Championship the season before that although he has had a fair few injuries since being at Blackburn since the start of the 2006/07 season.

He took us apart up at Ewood Park (again, not saying much) and is a much more hustle and bustle merchant than Bent.

For the record, he has scored 116 in about 300 league games compared to Shagger Bent's 106 league goals in nearly 400. games....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Given our difficulties at left back presumably Youga will return?

Youga's due back on 6th January - and not cup tied.

Whether we keep him, bearing in mind our poisened chalice left back position, or Scunny are preparing a bid or move him on, I don't know.
  • Options
    As Youga has been sent off twice in recent games for Scunthorpe, he is unlikely to play for them again before 6th January!!
  • Options
    how long is youga's current suspension ??
  • Options
    Surely whether we want Youga back for the rest of the season is going to be based on the state of fitness of the other LB's.

1. Thatcher - can't be that far away from a return (injury prone though)
    2. Basey - should be back in contention in January
    3. Sir Chris - Shouldn't be in the team unless he is 100% fit. Resting him up now should be a priority
    4. Cory Gibbs - anyone got any idea when he's likely to return to the reserves to pick up yet another injury?

Presumably Youga may return next week. Perhaps we need him during Dec/Jan and then let him go again, assuming the top three above are 100%?

As for other players, I wouldn't rule out permanent signings but there is more likely to be loan deals with options to purchase in the summer. That way we may get in some reasonable players from PL clubs. I hope we get Danny Mills on this basis.

I can't see us getting Song, although he would be good. No doubt Spurs have nine or ten spare midfielders available....:-). We certainly need at least one more midfielder.

We also need another centre back, and another striker. Roberts would be OK as the striker. I'd like to see Zamora though.
  • Options
    Oi Henry ;-) Can you remind us how many loans we are allowed? Ta.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]how long is youga's current suspension ??

Youga's suspended for 4 games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i can't see us getting quality permanent players in but realistic ones i would
    henri camara - whu, seems to have been frozen out by curbs (unless he is injured or already on loan somewhere)

Unlikely considering WHU injury problems up front and that he'll be off to the African Cup of Nations