Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Successful short term signings

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
In other words those bought in to have an immediate impact for one reason or other.

Cliff Holton came to us when he was even older than Fat Jimmy yet scored some vital goals in the dozen or so games he played to ease us from the relegation zone.

One game that sticks in my mind involving Holton is a 5-2 home win against Preston North End.

Comments

• Options
    That one's before my time, Len.

For me the best one has been Jorge Costa - we were flirting with relegation with a very shaky defence until he arrived. To pick up on an earlier Ooh Aah Mortimer thread, I had tears in my eyes at the end of his last match for us up at Old Trafford. He helped us keep a clean sheet and nearly scored that day.
  • Options
    bartlett on his original loan deal
    mills this season
    di canio's season
  • Options
    Neil Heaney - can't remember him doing much but he played in the Play Off Final....
  • Options
    Alan Kernaghan

Lennie Lawrence wanted to sign him for Charlton and then when he got the manager's job at Middlesbrough he had to persuade him to stay there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Neil Heaney - can't remember him doing much but he played in the Play Off Final....[/quote]

his right hander on tarricco was enough
  • Options
    Jimmy Melrose scored some pretty important goals in the promotion season in 86 (and the following season too)
  • Options
    Hendrie who scored the winner against the Spanners at Upton Park
  • Options
    Len, I remember the 5-2 well. If I remember rightly Holton scored with thunderous shot cum lob from some way out. Funny, the game sticks in my mind too
  • Options
    The geezer who scored the winner at Selhurst in the Championship season then ruined it all by coming back and scoring a hatrick in the 4-4 v West Spam.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]The geezer who scored the winner at Selhurst in the Championship season then ruined it all by coming back and scoring a hatrick in the 4-4 v West Spam.

Paul Kitson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]bartlett on his original loan deal
    mills this season
    di canio's season
    Di Canio was a proper signing.

Jorge Costa?
  • Options
    Song . Having just seen his defence splitting pass would be great to have him back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Song . Having just seen his defence splitting pass would be great to have him back.

i thought he was really positive last night compared to when he played more of a defensive role for us, didn't see all the game but he was pushing forward quite a lot late on but i think i heard commentator say he started the game at centre half...
    with arsenal still in all 4 competitions the very very slim chance that he might come on loan to us has got slimmer me thinks
  • Options
    The legendary super Swede, Hans Jeppson.

Top flight Division One, 11 goals in 13 matches, hatrick in Charlton's 5-2 rout of Arsenal at Highbury and saved us from certain relegation.
    And he was only an amateur......!

Way before my time but my old Dad still talks about him now.
  • Options
    Simonson?
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Allan Simonsen was a permanant signing rather than a loan

We've had a few though, that were a bit lacking:

Dennis Bailey
    Kenny Achampong
    Ricky Otto

Talal El Thingy from Southampton
    Mick Kearns (keeper from Walsall)

I'm sure there's a tidal wave of these.....
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Matt Jackson was a quality player in the short time we had him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Matt Jackson was a quality payer in the short time we had him.

Now that's the kind of player we want!

A footballer so desperate to put on the Charlton shirt that he'll pay for the privilege....!! ;o)
  • Options
    Ah ya get!!

Suppose I'd best edit that eh mate!!
  • Options
    Alan McDonald, I think from QPR at the time, was quality, but we never quite managed to sign him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Hendrie who scored the winner against the Spanners at Upton Park[/quote]

I can remember that that win was fantastic, and it was just before the end - he may have come on as a sub.

Can't unfortunatley remember anything else about the game!!