Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A year ago tonight

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
The Wycombe debacle. Anyone at the game want to offer any comments on where the club are a year on?

I would suggest that we are more together. You could have driven a snow-plough through the fans, players, manager/coach and board 12 months ago.

Comments

• Options
    One of if not the worst moments I've experienced watching Charlton.

I felt ashamed of so many of the players who quite simply, as was chanted, were "not fit to wear the shirt" yet paradoxically even though I could understand why it happened I felt ashamed to be in the same crowd as those who hurled abuse at Les Reed. Even in the midst of the despair of that awful evening I thought back to the play off final when Les was being abused and wondered how many of his tormentors remembered, knew of or even cared about the fundamental role Les played alongside Curbs in getting us to the Premiership that first time.

Yet just a few short months later I felt real pride as we sung Valley Floyd Road as Judas condemned us to Championship football. My wife, who attends games infrequently, was wiping her eyes during that.

This season I've found myself frustrated with the attitude of the classic Bloke Behind Me slagging off the likes of Iwelumo and ZZ and turning on the team at the first setback but those frustrations have been nothing to the sheer despair of the Wycombe game.

So to directly answer your question yes we are more together than we were 12 months ago and I hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    thanks for reminding us of that Chicago !!

Probably the worst moment in my supporting since 1972 and there have been some bad moments in there.
  • Options
    most angry and frustrated I have ever been at a Charlton match.
  • Options
    I remember it being a really cold night a year ago, i took my wife to the game as a 5 year anniversary (since our first date) present!!
    she thought it funny how everyone was losing the plot at the game!!
    It was a bit weird tho cos the bloke who got us to the furthest we'd ever got in the competition was earlier sacked and to be honest a year on we were relegated and we're 5th in a crap league
    I think the current squad is worse than the one we had a year ago but that was inevitable with relegation
    The club were on a slide a year ago( speeded up by reeds appointment and slowed down by pardews) and hopefully we've hit a bottom and are now making our way back up
    Was it coincidence the club got relegated the first season SIR ALAN CURBISHLEY was no longer with us or proof that the grass isn't always greener .
    THE GLORY YEARS UNDER CURBS should never be forgotten nor what he achieved and once we've achieved 7 consecutive years of top flight football i'll move on...................
  • Options
    worth glancing a couple of comments from the summing article at the time. Click on the link below:

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=75

and finally, guess what Oohaah was banging on about !! :-)

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2727&page=1#Item_0
  • Options
    You really should move on Oohaah.

Probably the most cathartic nights as a football supporter I've ever had, in a strange way, we needed that to happen, it hasten Pardew's arrival, and sadly Reed's departure.
  • Options
    lol .... somethings never change;-)
  • Options
    One of the worst displays of football i have ever seen

I wish i stayed at home that night
  • Options
    the team that played that fateful night
    carson
    sankofa diawara fortune traore
    rommedahl faye hughes thomas
    m bent d bent

unused subs mhyre el kack used subs holland sam hasslebaink
  • Options
    Me, Ketman, Carlsberg and a few mates who came along for the crack were subjected to this debacle. I wasn't as fast to jump on the team (but snapped after watching Wycombe pass it neatly through £5 million worth of midfield without a challenge in sight for the umpeenth time) as I had a right paddy at the lot behind me at the Liverpool game on the Saturday for barracking the team.

What sticks out as the sickener and something I will never forget is Holland acknowledging the fans and clapping them in the face of a lot of abuse and Marcus Bent bellowing at him to get off the pitch and ignore us. I can appreciate footballers don't like abuse but that night they deserved it and Mr Marcus Bent being one of the leading culprits was not prepared to accept responsibility for what he was part of.

Vermin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]most angry and frustrated I have ever been at a Charlton match.

Totally agree
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

in a strange way, we needed that to happen, it hasten Pardew's arrival, and sadly Reed's departure.

True, I was sad to see Les Reed go as a person. As a manager it was inevitable after that game although I still lay the main blame at the door of the players who couldn't or wouldn't left themselves to reach a semi-final
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]IWas it coincidence the club got relegated the first season SIR ALAN CURBISHLEY was no longer with us or proof that the grass isn't always greener .
    THE GLORY YEARS UNDER CURBS should never be forgotten nor what he achieved and once we've achieved 7 consecutive years of top flight football i'll move on...................

No, I don't think it was a coincidence. It was always going to be when we were most vulnerable and it went badly wrong with Dowie, Reed couldn't halt the tide and neither in the end could Pardew although he came very close. Pardew at least restored some pride and optimism (for all but the perpetual moaners).

I don't think we should forget Curbs and what he did at all anymore than we should forget Jimmy Seed or Lennie Lawrence but we do need to learn the lessons and look forward. That was then, this is now.
  • Options
    never mind wycombe... where's part 2 of cinderella you promised us?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]never mind wycombe... where's part 2 of cinderella you promised us?[/quote]

LOL....i wondered if anyone would ever remember that !!
  • Options
    Curbs laid the foundation for the relegation with his couldnt give a bollx attitude for 8 moths.
  • Options
    Some good came of the Wycombe match, though some on here may dispute that ;-).......

It was so dire it moved me to register for Charlton Life after a few weeks' lurking - check my account, created on 20 Dec.
  • Options
    Worst birthday present I ever had! :-(
  • Options
    Hint taken - Happy Birthday Dave! :o)
  • Options
    hehe, Happy Birthday Dave!

p.s. Can we have the Arctic Monkeys on Saturday before the team runs out? ;o)
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited December 2007
    Thanks lads - Rothers I'll see what I can do - NO PROMISES THOUGH! ;-)

It was a really great day completely spoilt by some of the worst football I'd ever seen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Thanks lads - Rothers I'll see what I can do - NO PROMISES THOUGH! ;-)

It was a really great day completely spoilt by some of the worst football I'd ever seen.

Cheers man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    Was it coincidence the club got relegated the first season SIR ALAN CURBISHLEY was no longer with us or proof that the grass isn't always greener .

You're even more boring than Curbs' book.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Dave.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Curbs laid the foundation for the relegation with his couldnt give a bollx attitude for 8 moths.

Well said CPL. It makes me laugh how the Curbishley fan club seem to think that all our problems started when left, like he had nothing to do with it.

I was genuinily shocked at the wycombe game. I had never seen a crowd turn like that. I did feel really sorry for Reid as I didn't really blame him. My frustration was with those that appointed him.

Happy birthday BDL.
  • Options
    This was the night of the protest outside the West Stand. I stayed behind after our bunch trapesed off to applaud the Wycombe players off, who after all still had to beat a (then) Premiershit side away from home and played some very neat passing football in the process.

Reed I felt sorry for from day one as he struck me as a bloody nice bloke and a kindly type (totally wrong for management).
  • Options
    Appy birthday Dave (any chance of you playing Agadoo?)
  • Options
    it was all curbs fault.
  • Options
    As others have pointed out, for all Curbishley's achievements here, the rot started a couple of years before he finally left.

After his last throw of the dice with the explosive Murphy/Smertin/Kish midfield feeding Darren Bent, once it was rumbled there was no plan B except to hang on by stifling the game.

Despite the cup run, once the England vacancy came up Curbs was already gone inside his head.

If Curbs had stayed that extra season, I believe he too would have overseen a relegation year.
  • Options
    Traore, Faye, Diawara, Hasselbaink and El Karkouri in that incarnation were Dowie's players.

That is nearly half a team. Harsh to blame Curbs in those circumstances.

I didn't want to post about Curbs but I'm not going to stand by why arguably our greatest ever manager is slagged off.

Dowie spent £11million on rubbish. Had Curbs been given £11miilion he would have got better value for money as he consistently did during the 15 years he was with us.

Marcus Bent, by common consent, is regarded as Curbs' worst signing yet some people on this board want him back now!

Make your minds up or does the determination to blame Curbs override all reason?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

does the determination to blame Curbs override all reason?

curbs got lucky for years and he was lucky enough to know when to go cos he would have got us relegated as well and he's done that b4....
    it was just a fluke we went up with him and stayed there ffs
    CURBS= CHARLTON MIRACLE WORKER... FACT
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    Make your minds up or does the determination to blame Curbs override all reason?

Only to the same or a lesser extent than the determination to blame Curbs' departure for every single defeat, poor signing, poor away turnout, the smoking ban etc etc etc.

We'll never know what would have happened had he stayed and been given Dowie's transfer kitty so it's all a bit of a moot point. One thing's for sure, we were stale, Curbs was tired of the job (see Dean Kiely's comments of last week for further evidence) and I think it was time for change for both us and Curbs.

Other locked on 'FACT's;

Curbs is/was/will forever be a Charlton legend. And rightly so.
    He's gone. Get over it.