Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Investment

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
I cant understand that no rich people are looking at Charlton to invest in. Surely looking at the growth we have had in the past its still there. So they could easily turn as into a massive club, look at QPR what have they got?

Comments

• Options
    Those in charge at CAFC are not interested in selling?? You might be a billionaire but if you are not a CAFC billionaire, you can f off....
  • Options
    I guess most on here fall into 2 camps.

Those who would be happy to see a billionaire with no particular interest in the club invest pots of cash and buy the brand with a hope to turn it into one of the big boys

And those who would rather it stays as it is as a club with directors who are genuine fans themselves.

I am in the second camp. The fame and fortune may be less likely but what he have is a genuine club with a unique history. I would hate to see it change to a corporate being or a plaything of the superrich.

Having said that I respect those who hold a different opinion.
  • Options
    I think the trick is to find someone who is both surely? Haven't we got someone already on the board worth about £900m? Trevor Hemmings, also has shares in Preston North End? Come on you old git, cough up some more cash ;-)

I just worry about the long term future of the club should everyone else start getting themselves major investment. Something like 16 of last seasons 20 Premiership clubs are under new or foreign ownership and 8 out of 24 Championship clubs are the same. Now Ipswich and QPR have new money to look forward to.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure Pards said that the investment will come within when the board announced it got a finance company to get additonal investment via the sale of the club or additonal investment.
  • Options
    I'm in the second camp as well Peanutman.

I think QPR are playing a very dangerous game. These are guys that not only have connection to the club, but also no real affinity to football at all. They got the wealth they have not by chucking millions down the drain, like you do with football clubs.

I think it will be good for football if QPR got relegateds this season and make it harder for these people to be successful. If it doesn't come instantly, they will soon lose interest. And where will that leave QPR ?
  • Options
    Look at Newcastle, barely had the ink dried on the contract before rumours that the new owners were looking for buyers. I don't believe for a moment that there are not people with interest in buying Charlton - London Club, own ground near Olympic land, own training ground - two bits of valuable real estate. The real problem for potential investors is that they cannot just pick off shareholders, Murray has the majority shareholding therefore potenjtal buyers have to meet the criteria of a real fan.

If we do get promoted next season then we will need external investment to perform and that will test Murrays resolve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]If we do get promoted next season then we will need external investment to perform and that will test Murrays resolve.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment
  • Options
    The thing is, didn't everyone say the same thing about the chelsea owner, would soon lose interest and that would leave chelsea in the poo. But how can anyone say he is not a real fan now. He goes to most games and isn't that a real fan, you have to start your support somewhere, so why not with a large investment and then become a real fan.
  • Options
    You've got to remember that Chelsea are making a loss in the region of £200m each year - it's a rich man's play thing. Can you see many other investors willing to simply throw away their money each year?
  • Options
    QPR have just sold 20% to Lakshmi Mittal, worth £26 billion - could have done with a bit of that at the valley and decent curry pies at half time.

From what I can gather he would have been a good catch, sharing a lot of Murrays values.

Spent £30mill on his daughters wedding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But of all the clubs in London, why QPR? That's what I don't get. It possibly makes sense as a property deal - the huge Westfield development nearby, the BBC planning to quit TV Centre - although Loftus Road is hemmed in by housing.
  • Options
    Apparently he is a friend of Bernie Eccelstone, from whom he bought his house. I suppose at that level of wealth its a couple of mates buying a clapped out car to repair for £20
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]But of all the clubs in London, why QPR? That's what I don't get. It possibly makes sense as a property deal - the huge Westfield development nearby, the BBC planning to quit TV Centre - although Loftus Road is hemmed in by housing.[/quote]

You got it!

QPR will move to a new ground out of town and they get to sell valuable prime land in West London - Good Transport links, local facilities.